Chord Hugo
Oct 29, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #14,041 of 15,694
  Is there someone using Hugo as your computer DAC?
I bought a secondhand Hugo for portable but it is too heavy to bring out, now I just want to buy a speaker and headphone to properly use my Hugo.
Could someone please give me recommendation of the speaker? (Headphone I am deciding HD800 or HD800S)

I am !

I will use Hugo for this reason 

after testing with Play game(FPS like Call of duty,ARMA3,DAYZ),song(DSD by Foobar2000),Hidef movie With HD800 and Logitech Z5500

is work perfectly.

PS. Also from pass I has been using Sound Baster ZXR,Audio GD NFB 11 2014,Chord Mojo now all gone with HD800

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:43 PM Post #14,042 of 15,694
Careful with those guitar power supplies.  Sometimes, the voltage measures higher than the switch is set to.  I had one set to 9V which put out 12V and there was hum and was badly regulated.  Hold on and get proper supply.
Oh!  Thank Bog you found it.  Hate to see you blow the regulation circuitry in the Hugo.

A lot of people said that too. I don't have the tools to measure them sadly. Good thing I found the power supply again (inside a box full of power supplies).

Oct 29, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #14,043 of 15,694
Is there someone using Hugo as your computer DAC?
I bought a secondhand Hugo for portable but it is too heavy to bring out, now I just want to buy a speaker and headphone to properly use my Hugo.
Could someone please give me recommendation of the speaker? (Headphone I am deciding HD800 or HD800S)

I do, although only on my laptop to be used with my headphones. It works great.

Becareful though about the sampling rate that you set on Windows. High res sampling rates usually results in cracklings and stutters when your computer cannot really handle it. This is the case with my laptop, but not with my PC.

Oct 30, 2016 at 9:56 PM Post #14,044 of 15,694
  I am !

I will use Hugo for this reason 

after testing with Play game(FPS like Call of duty,ARMA3,DAYZ),song(DSD by Foobar2000),Hidef movie With HD800 and Logitech Z5500

is work perfectly.

PS. Also from pass I has been using Sound Baster ZXR,Audio GD NFB 11 2014,Chord Mojo now all gone with HD800

Thanks your suggestion.
I had noticed this 5.1 but I just want a 2.0 speaker because my room is not large enough to place 5.1... ( F the Hong Kong government...)

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #14,046 of 15,694
Does anyone know where I can buy an offical replacement power supply jobby for a UK chord hugo? Many thanks.

Assuming you are based in the UK, suggest you contact Chord directly. They offered to let me buy one from them when I asked.

Oct 31, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #14,047 of 15,694
May we see some pictures showing the connection setup?  Thanks!

With apologies for the delay -:)

The Purifer unit is to the left fed by the power lead on its left hand side and the coaxial input into the back of it.

The other cable is my RCA audio input into my valve amp.

Nov 1, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #14,049 of 15,694
Curious bout the 2Qute...does anyone here have both, Hugo and 2Qute? ...or did you opt out of one for the other? I'm very interested in the 2Qute and looking for comparisons/opinions.

I have the mojo and was considering the 2Qute as my next step, because:
  1. i was considering the 2Qute as just a dac, to feed my preamp - so the lack of a headphone amp was not an issue
  2. the 2Qute has galvanic isolation, so is reported as an improvement on the hugo when using usb as the source

Unfortunately the 2Qute has a fixed output level of 3V, but my preamp can only cope with 2.75V - so this may be a showstopper for the moment. i am wondering about the hugo TT, but nothing is decided.

@boomtube you need to be clear in your mind as to what are your own needs/requirements (not other peoples requirements, because they can differ to yours, and shape their opinions in a way that means that those opinions are not relevant to your situation).

So clarify if:
  1. is sound quality the only criterion that you are considering? - maybe 2Qute wins on that score
  2. is the presence/abscence of a headphone amplifier important to you? - only hugo has a headphone amplifier, the 2Qute needs a separate amplifier
  3. is portability important to you? - if yes then only hugo is portable
  4. is usb your principle source (and so galvanic isolation is a benefit)? - 2Qute wins on that score
  5. if you want to use hugo or 2Qute to feed an amplifier, can the amplifier handle 3V?
  6. is bluetooth important? - only hugo accepts bluetooth inputs
  7. etc

Just compiling your own list of requirements, may identify which dac to chose very quickly. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:50 PM Post #14,050 of 15,694
Unfortunately the 2Qute has a fixed output level of 3V, but my preamp can only cope with 2.75V - so this may be a showstopper for the moment. i am wondering about the hugo TT, but nothing is decided.

Since you own Mojo, you can put it into fixed, line level mode, for the 3V output and see how it works with your preamp.

And, also, try Mojo direct into your power amp...

Nov 1, 2016 at 5:59 PM Post #14,051 of 15,694
Since you own Mojo, you can put it into fixed, line level mode, for the 3V output and see how it works with your preamp.

And, also, try Mojo direct into your power amp...

The first couple of times that I used my Mojo as the input for my Arcam solo neo, I did inadvertently use the default 3V line out, seemingly without any issues. I presume that because I was not playing loud music, that the Mojo was outputting less than 3V - so maybe a 2Qute would not cause any issues.

I do not have a separate power amp, but it is something that I did consider a few months ago. 

Nov 1, 2016 at 8:09 PM Post #14,052 of 15,694
I have the mojo and was considering the 2Qute as my next step, because:
  • i was considering the 2Qute as just a dac, to feed my preamp - so the lack of a headphone amp was not an issue
  • the 2Qute has galvanic isolation, so is reported as an improvement on the hugo when using usb as the source

@boomtube
 you need to be clear in your mind as to what are your own needs/requirements (not other peoples requirements, because they can differ to yours, and shape their opinions in a way that means that those opinions are not relevant to your situation).

So clarify if:
  • is sound quality the only criterion that you are considering? - maybe 2Qute wins on that score
  • is the presence/abscence of a headphone amplifier important to you? - only hugo has a headphone amplifier, the 2Qute needs a separate amplifier
  • is portability important to you? - if yes then only hugo is portable
  • is usb your principle source (and so galvanic isolation is a benefit)? - 2Qute wins on that score
  • if you want to use hugo or 2Qute to feed an amplifier, can the amplifier handle 3V?
  • is bluetooth important? - only hugo accepts bluetooth inputs
  • etc

Just compiling your own list of requirements, may identify which dac to chose very quickly. 
I have the Hugo and am finding I don't need portable gear as I'm at home almost exclusively when I listen to music. I listen primarily to IEM's but am also considering some HP's. I've read that the 2Qute is a definite step up from the Hugo...I'm looking for opinions from people who have or had both. Is 2Qute much of the same without an amp?

Nov 2, 2016 at 12:55 AM Post #14,053 of 15,694
I have the Hugo and am finding I don't need portable gear as I'm at home almost exclusively when I listen to music. I listen primarily to IEM's but am also considering some HP's. I've read that the 2Qute is a definite step up from the Hugo...I'm looking for opinions from people who have or had both. Is 2Qute much of the same without an amp?

2Qute was designed as Hugo without the head amp and preamp functionality, so if you want to use items or headphones, you need to connect a hp amp or a preamp with headphone output - there is no escaping that fact.

Nov 2, 2016 at 1:02 AM Post #14,054 of 15,694

What's to compare?  Features, they both have the same DAC.  Since you already have the Hugo, just add galvanic isolation (Intona), and I think your already better off than the 2Qute, with the Hugo having more features.  Especially if you have one of the Hugos first made without the need of flashing the USB 5V vbus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back