Chord Hugo
Nov 6, 2016 at 4:30 AM Post #14,071 of 15,694
I also have both mojo and hugo. to me hugo is more enjoyable and musical too. hugo has better punch and impact too.
I wished I could disagree but I cant.

Nov 6, 2016 at 5:42 AM Post #14,073 of 15,694
what do you need to use Mojo or Hugo for?

I hesitated for a few months because I couldn't audition it anywhere, the only thing I can say now is wish I had just bought one earlier, without hesitation.  I bought Hugo first for usage as a desktop dac for my Hi-fi rig, then Mojo for the car, both are outstanding products.

Nov 6, 2016 at 6:15 AM Post #14,074 of 15,694
  I know specifications are only part of the picture. I'll keep searching for places to demo and hopefully find somewhere.
How is the output stage? I'm looking to drive ether flows directly.

That should be an ideal combination – from a technical point of view. I haven't heard the Flow, but if it isn't overly bright, it should be a good match also sonically.

While your «less refined» was addressing features and data, the Hugo in fact sounds slightly more refined (and transparent) than the Mojo to my ears. With IEMs a subtle treble enhancement for the Mojo makes them sound virtually identical, but for driving my HE1000 the Hugo does a clearly better job: cleaner, more dynamic and more spacious.

I guess with the Ether Flow the difference will be rather small.

Nov 6, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #14,075 of 15,694
Because it's not less refined.  Maybe they took what they learned from Hugo and distilled it down to a smaller, cheaper package with a few pretty lights.  And maybe, if the Mojo came out at the same time, some people might have opted for the less expensive product.  But, having owned the Hugo, and played with the Mojo for a week, I'd still choose the Hugo for the sound alone.
If you are using it as you imply, for stacking with a DAP, the Mojo will still be a step up for most of them.  But, the Hugo is still on a different level.  And if you have an A&K DAP, there are many posters who have used the 240 feeding into a Hugo with good results.

Nov 7, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #14,076 of 15,694
Hi all,

I just want to post a lot of kudos to the Chord Company. I have one of the first Hugo's and since I acquired it I am completely in love with it although I encountered some issues.
I had to return my Hugo 4 times to have it repaired. Three times my Hugo was completely dead and wouldn't recharge. After the fourth time Chord simply decided to replace my Hugo with a complete new one. I could even choose the color!!
I had to listen a while to my music without my Hugo. Now with my new Hugo I realize what I have missed, WOOOOOW.
Again KODO"S to Chord for their excellent service and for making such an incredible product that makes people enjoy music to the extreme.

Anyone else had any relaibility problems with their Hugo?
I bought mine last summer, and it failed after a few months. The USB inputs just failed and stopped working. It was returned to Chord via the dealer, and it had to have the main board replaced (under warranty, of course).
I just wondered if any other owners had similar problems?

Nov 7, 2016 at 8:52 AM Post #14,077 of 15,694
I bought mine last summer, and it failed after a few months. The USB inputs just failed and stopped working. It was returned to Chord via the dealer, and it had to have the main board replaced (under warranty, of course).

Had mine since April 2015, and it has had no problems at all.

Nov 7, 2016 at 6:49 PM Post #14,078 of 15,694
Im not sure how long I have had my hugo,I'm told. but everything is tickidy boo

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #14,082 of 15,694
Hello,

I need some help deciding what to keep and what to get rid of. Currently using an HDVD800 with my HD800s and was wondering am I moving backwards replacing my HDVD800 with the Chord Hugo mobile dac? I was using my AK380 but it doesn't push my HD800s the way I'm use to, volume is easy to low.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:03 PM Post #14,083 of 15,694

Hi all,

I just want to post a lot of kudos to the Chord Company. I have one of the first Hugo's and since I acquired it I am completely in love with it although I encountered some issues.
I had to return my Hugo 4 times to have it repaired. Three times my Hugo was completely dead and wouldn't recharge. After the fourth time Chord simply decided to replace my Hugo with a complete new one. I could even choose the color!!
I had to listen a while to my music without my Hugo. Now with my new Hugo I realize what I have missed, WOOOOOW.
Again KODO"S to Chord for their excellent service and for making such an incredible product that makes people enjoy music to the extreme.

No problems; June 2014.

Nov 10, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #14,084 of 15,694
Mine got dead one time
They fixed but the HD USB input didn't work from the mac
They offered me to replace it asking me the colour as well
I don't have much time and when I'm at home I listen from win laptop
I have to ship it..

Nov 11, 2016 at 7:52 PM Post #14,085 of 15,694
I had the chance to demo the hugo although under less than ideal conditions, The place didn't even give me anywhere to sit.

I think the Hugo is definitely a better unit than the mojo. The mojo to me sounded VERY full bodied to the point where it took away from other aspects of the sound. i wouldn't call it muddied or veiled since it still had lots of detail but it definitely had a strange characteristic that is far from a reference sound.

The hugo drove my ethers beautifully for a portable unit, great detail and dynamics with a smooth sound, very analog. One thing i disliked was the lack of width in the sound stage and the biggest problem was it's noise floor, It had quite a noticeable hum/buzz when my Campfire Andromeda were plugged in. The mojo also had this problem but to a lesser extent.

The hugo is definitely an impressive unit in its own right. I imagine it would be better in a Hifi setup than a Headfi one but again it depends on peoples preference.

Overall i prefer the sound of my AK player which to me sounded. 'holographic'? Darker background and a better sense of space. i think ill be upgrading it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back