Chord Hugo
Oct 27, 2016 at 11:10 AM Post #14,012 of 15,694
yes you can do that but the conversion demands needless decimation back to 24 bit or whatever bit length supported by the dac. while processing inside dac ( ds dac like mojo and hugo) don't require decimation. after many processes like oversampling and noise filtering the bitstream is fed to the dac which converts the digital high rate stream to analog . hugo, mojo and dave have much more complex processing algorithm than available in current software like j river and hq player. I have myself compared hq player upsampling vs direct to mojo and hugo . even with best setting hq player is no match to these dacs. I even upsampled and saved the FLAC using iZotope 64 bit src which is one of the best , and even that could not match mojo. clearly there is much more going inside these chord dacs than these upsampling software.

Oct 27, 2016 at 11:11 AM Post #14,013 of 15,694
yes you can do that but the conversion demands needless decimation back to 24 bit or whatever bit length supported by the dac. while processing inside dac ( ds dac like mojo and hugo) don't require decimation. after many processes like oversampling and noise filtering the bitstream is fed to the dac which converts the digital high rate stream to analog . hugo, mojo and dave have much more complex processing algorithm than available in current software like j river and hq player. I have myself compared hq player upsampling vs direct to mojo and hugo . even with best setting hq player is no match to these dacs. I even upsampled and saved the FLAC using iZotope 64 bit src which is one of the best , and even that could not match mojo. clearly there is much more going inside these chord dacs than these upsampling software.

Oct 27, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #14,014 of 15,694

I'm not attempting to mislead I'm telling what I'm told by the guys fixing the units.
Virtually all repairs suggesting battery failure are found not to be due to the batteries. Usually the overvoltage protection is fried but it has saved the unit and can be replaced.

Mine just got back from Chord's authorized service center after battery replacement. They charged me INR 2200 (approx $34) for battery + service.
Mine is around 2 years old, bought it used from classified here. Two others had reported the same symptoms in this thread, warranting battery replacement.
It was a great service from Chord's dealer, here in Bangalore. Happy as a clam, now that HUGO is back in action.

Hope we don't run out of spares from CHORD, as HUGO ages. 

Hummm, Houston, we have a problem here.  Chord says it's the overvoltage protection that is failing and NEVER the batteries.  Customer says it is the batteries.  Which is it??

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #14,015 of 15,694

Hummm, Houston, we have a problem here.  Chord says it's the overvoltage protection that is failing and NEVER the batteries.  Customer says it is the batteries.  Which is it??

I think that you are being disingenious.

JF has stated "Virtually all repairs suggesting battery failure are found not to be due to the batteries.".
That is not the same as saying "Virtually all repairs suggesting battery failure are found not to be due to the batteries."

@mathi8vadhanan has stated two other users have had their batteries replaced.  Again that is not the same as claiming that all users have had their batteries replaced.

Oct 27, 2016 at 3:47 PM Post #14,016 of 15,694
I can confirm it was a battery talking to our guys today they said yes there have been one or two but considering the huges volumes of Hugo's sold they weren't too surprised.

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:01 PM Post #14,017 of 15,694
Sorry but I dont know as none have failed yet but the price will be reasonably low for a good quality none exploding type and the work to replace it.

I think that you are being disingenious.

JF has stated "Virtually all repairs suggesting battery failure are found not to be due to the batteries.".
That is not the same as saying "Virtually all repairs suggesting battery failure are found not to be due to the batteries."

@mathi8vadhanan has stated two other users have had their batteries replaced.  Again that is not the same as claiming that all users have had their batteries replaced.

Doubt it, from the quote above.

I can confirm it was a battery talking to our guys today they said yes there have been one or two but considering the huges volumes of Hugo's sold they weren't too surprised.

Thanks John, I agree, there is bound to be some faulty Lipo batteries, which is acceptable.  What I would like to know is what is the life expectancy, used in normal conditions, of the batteries with the Hugo?

Oct 27, 2016 at 4:09 PM Post #14,018 of 15,694
Doubt it, from the quote above.

Thanks John, I agree, there is bound to be some faulty Lipo batteries, which is acceptable.  What I would like to know is what is the life expectancy, used in normal fashion, of the batteries with the Hugo?
It should be between 1500 to 2000 full charging cycles before the capacity falls below 50 percent and as a full discharge when using Hugo is probably not that frequent. We are therefore expecting a many year life

Oct 28, 2016 at 2:28 AM Post #14,021 of 15,694
I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, $34 is beyond reasonable. Bigger concern I'm sure is being without your Hugo. I don't think I've owned a device long enough to go through a battery yet.

34 dollars is very reasonable. Just keep using the Hugo......

Yes, I was surprised too. If I had to send it to Chord, shipping alone would've cost more than that. Thanks to Chord and it's wonderful dealer network.

As @rkt31 suggested, I will have to stop leaving it connected to the wall, like I used to in US.

Oct 28, 2016 at 3:38 PM Post #14,023 of 15,694
Mine just got back from Chord's authorized service center after battery replacement. They charged me INR 2200 (approx $34) for battery + service.
Mine is around 2 years old, bought it used from classified here. Two others had reported the same symptoms in this thread, warranting battery replacement.
It was a great service from Chord's dealer, here in Bangalore. Happy as a clam, now that HUGO is back in action.

Hope we don't run out of spares from CHORD, as HUGO ages. 

A very reasonable price but wasn't Hugo still under warranty. Warranty is at least 2 years and some contributors say 3.

Oct 28, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #14,025 of 15,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back