Chord Hugo
Sep 29, 2016 at 10:01 AM Post #13,786 of 15,701
I find the Hugo's BT connection via AptX absolutely superb, and have no reason whatsoever to connect with wires to my Sony DAPs, it really is that good.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

What is a good Sony DAP with the necessary Apt-X BlueTooth to send to the Hugo BlueTooth input? Thanks!

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #13,788 of 15,701
It's a waste of time arguing with you TT owners over the potential DIY of Hugo.  Look forward to any feedback from Hugo owners attempting DIY on their Hugo.  Especially replacing the batteries with a new power source.  When the time comes I'll report back in full on my experience.  For now, the Intona (galvanic isolation) with the DIY Regen is sounding the best I've heard from the Hugo so far.

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:19 AM Post #13,789 of 15,701
It's a waste of time arguing with you TT owners over the potential DIY of Hugo.  Look forward to any feedback from Hugo owners attempting DIY on their Hugo.  Especially replacing the batteries with a new power source.  When the time comes I'll report back in full on my experience.  For now, the Intona (galvanic isolation) with the DIY Regen is sounding the best I've heard from the Hugo so far.

Err we are Hugo owners as well. Good luck with your attempt.
If you destroy your Hugo get TT next time

Sep 29, 2016 at 10:49 AM Post #13,790 of 15,701
What is a good Sony DAP with the necessary Apt-X BlueTooth to send to the Hugo BlueTooth input? Thanks!

Most of the Sony hirez DAPs do AptX, but I use the NWZ-A15 & NW-ZX100.
The A15 is the best choice because AptX bypasses the DAP's DAC etc, and the A15 is light as a feather to carry around.
A word of warning though: The Hugo lacks a decent BT antenna, so the DAP has to be stacked next to the Hugo for dropout-free playback. But because the A15 is so light, it's a breeze.

Sep 29, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #13,791 of 15,701

Oh, don't worry, I'm confident it will work well.  You might want to sell your overpriced TT (featured Hugo) now before folks get wise to the Hugo DIY's.

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:06 PM Post #13,792 of 15,701

Oh, don't worry, I'm confident it will work well.  You might want to sell your overpriced TT (featured Hugo) now before folks get wise to the Hugo DIY's.

Lol naw I'm good

Sep 29, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #13,793 of 15,701

As much as the TT sounds desireable, I think an intona might be a better investment for the near future.  Which Intona are you using?  I think there are two models, the more expensive one for professional or industrial use.

Sep 29, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #13,794 of 15,701

As much as the TT sounds desireable, I think an intona might be a better investment for the near future.  Which Intona are you using?  I think there are two models, the more expensive one for professional or industrial use.

I've had both.   Both work good for Galvanic Isolation.  I got an Industrial version after a mishap with a power supply fryed my regular version.  The Industrial version can handle more unanticipated voltage, really not a concern for audiophiles.  Also it's supposed to have better components.  Either one, highly recommended for Hugo users in desktop application via USB. 

Sep 29, 2016 at 11:36 PM Post #13,796 of 15,701
Are there any other alternatives to the Hugo leather case?...not a mod/DIY but a case specifically designed for the Hugo?

Hold in hand or pocket. Pocket and bluetooth to phone.

Sep 30, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #13,797 of 15,701
  Are there any other alternatives to the Hugo leather case?...not a mod/DIY but a case specifically designed for the Hugo?

I have kept my eyes open for one for a year now, and nothing.  I've always hoped for a case without the handle and flaps that cover a number of the jacks; more something that you could slide the Hugo snugly into, like a jacket, for protection rather than for carrying around.  It should be something more along the lines of what companies are making for the mojo.  I'm surprised Dignis didn't come up with something like that.

Sep 30, 2016 at 1:13 PM Post #13,798 of 15,701
  ​

If you want to play the overpriced game, the Mojo is not only cheaper than the Hugo, but sounds better/is more portable/has just as much power. I would seriously suggest looking into that first before you spend any more money on your Hugo, you might be surprised. It is able to capture all the micro details of the Hugo, but does sound more natural/neutral with more body. I was looking into the Hugo for a portable option when I had one on loan for a few weeks, but settled on the Mojo instead. IMO, anything over $1500 is over-priced IMO as a linear price to performance relationship tends to break down around this point. But if you want better/best...that's par for the course.

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:38 PM Post #13,799 of 15,701
  If you want to play the overpriced game, the Mojo is not only cheaper than the Hugo, but sounds better/is more portable/has just as much power. I would seriously suggest looking into that first before you spend any more money on your Hugo, you might be surprised. It is able to capture all the micro details of the Hugo, but does sound more natural/neutral with more body. I was looking into the Hugo for a portable option when I had one on loan for a few weeks, but settled on the Mojo instead. IMO, anything over $1500 is over-priced IMO as a linear price to performance relationship tends to break down around this point. But if you want better/best...that's par for the course.

The mojo is tuned to be a bit warm sounding.

edit: Currently listening with the HD 800 (original). The Chord Hugo definetly sounds better according to my ears with the HD 800 than the Chord Mojo. 

Sep 30, 2016 at 6:44 PM Post #13,800 of 15,701

I think your looking at it wrong.
1st, the Hugo internals are nothing like the Mojo.
2nd, you already paid for the Hugo and have enjoyed it the past 2 years plus, to resell it, you may get $1000 tops.  That isn't far from the inferior Mojo.
3rd, if the Mojo is better than the Hugo in your opinion.  Then definitely you would want to get rid of the extremely overpriced TT and concentrate on DIY the Mojo.  Don't worry, I'm sure it isn't.
4th, an added power supply is not going to break the bank and can always be used somewhere else in the system.
5th, I haven't spent that much on upgrading the sound of the Hugo, all in all it will be about $800 when done, but for a superior sound, that you probably would have to do the same to the TT or any other DAC to achieve.

EDIT:  Don't get me wrong, the TT has a lot of nice added features I'm sure fit into others needs.  For myself, the only feature I wish I had for my Hugo, from the TT, would be the remote.  Obviously not that big of a deal for me.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back