Chord Hugo
Jun 23, 2015 at 4:26 AM Post #11,056 of 15,694
I have been rediscovering classical music through my Qobuz subscription, and really appreciate the extra clarity/lifelike quality that the Hugo brings to this repertoire.  It has displaced the Metrum in my main desktop system, at least for the moment.  I'm running it through the Aurix, which is a really transparent amp that gets out of the way of the music. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 4:47 AM Post #11,057 of 15,694
  I have been rediscovering classical music through my Qobuz subscription, and really appreciate the extra clarity/lifelike quality that the Hugo brings to this repertoire.  It has displaced the Metrum in my main desktop system, at least for the moment.  I'm running it through the Aurix, which is a really transparent amp that gets out of the way of the music. 

I wonder if Tidal sounds any different from Qobuz since many say that Tidal sounds better.

Jun 23, 2015 at 5:20 AM Post #11,058 of 15,694
  I wonder if Tidal sounds any different from Qobuz since many say that Tidal sounds better.

I've had both and settled on Qobuz for the Sublime subscription which gives you discounts on Hi Rez downloads as well as CD streaming. No complaints on the SQ.  And if you like Classical or Jazz it's a must.

Jun 23, 2015 at 11:39 PM Post #11,059 of 15,694
Hi all,

I've recently joined the Hugo owners club. I've had it for three days and I'm loving it.

However I've noticed two issues: the recesses to connect both the coaxial and optical cable are to thin to connect my cables. Are there any brands you can recommend?

Secondly, I've noticed some interference /static when connecting via Bluetooth. I've used two devices AK120 and my Samsung Galaxy S6.had anyone else expletives a similar issue?

I'm using the Hugo with a pair of Shure SE846.

Cheers

Jun 24, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #11,060 of 15,694
Hi all,

I've recently joined the Hugo owners club. I've had it for three days and I'm loving it.

However I've noticed two issues: the recesses to connect both the coaxial and optical cable are to thin to connect my cables. Are there any brands you can recommend?

Secondly, I've noticed some interference /static when connecting via Bluetooth. I've used two devices AK120 and my Samsung Galaxy S6.had anyone else expletives a similar issue?

I'm using the Hugo with a pair of Shure SE846.

Cheers

Try Moon Audio.  They sell the Hugo and have a variety of compatible cables for it.  As for the static on Blue Tooth, I've only used apple products BT and no static at all.

Jun 24, 2015 at 3:59 PM Post #11,061 of 15,694
Hi all,

Kimber Kable's Ultraplate RCA connectors work with the Hugo. I use a pair of KCAGs terminated with these plugs on my Hugo.

Jun 26, 2015 at 8:49 AM Post #11,062 of 15,694
anybody compared hugo with schiit yggdrasil ? i see the new schiit  yggdrasil is getting very good reviews and said to beat many much more expensive DACs. in some reviews the schiit dac is said to be slightly bright and does not do good to poor recordings. any links ?

Jun 26, 2015 at 11:07 AM Post #11,064 of 15,694
some feedback
-the good:

1) i believe this hugo, sound wise, is all i need in terms of portable all in one, and for desktop dac/preamp, at just a fraction of the price of all the stuff i had before, not to mention the practical aspect of it's size

-the inexplicable:

1) why must it have the worst on/off switch ever, why??? it's really a pain to operate, should be at least a couple of mm wider and taller and the bay it's in should also be taller as well, since there is a lot of space for that, i have really slim finger tips yet the bay is still way to narrow in height to operate the switch normally without to much maneuvering, arrrggh

2) since it's as much of a desktop device as it is portable, why do i have to peek inside the small glass hole, from close up on top of it, to check battery, crossfeed etc., a bigger hole, more discernible lights (or external light indicators) and a vertical stand would be super useful, along a remote, to operate it from the sofa

also been wondering what does the actual D/A conversion, analog modulation (not the DSP), inside the hugo, what type of dac is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter#DAC_types

Jun 26, 2015 at 1:38 PM Post #11,065 of 15,694
  anybody compared hugo with schiit yggdrasil ? i see the new schiit  yggdrasil is getting very good reviews and said to beat many much more expensive DACs. in some reviews the schiit dac is said to be slightly bright and does not do good to poor recordings. any links ?

Not very scientific but I had a chance to compare the Yggy:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766347/schiit-yggdrasil-impressions-thread/255#post_11695742

Jun 26, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #11,068 of 15,694
I wanted to love the yggy but sadly it was a total let down, especially how it stacked up to the HugoTT when I a/b than several times. Guess we all have our own ears, it just sounded very flat to me with little instrument separation or depth. Loved the talk that the owner gave which is why I went back and relistened a second time.

Jun 26, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #11,069 of 15,694
  some feedback
-the good:

1) i believe this hugo, sound wise, is all i need in terms of portable all in one, and for desktop dac/preamp, at just a fraction of the price of all the stuff i had before, not to mention the practical aspect of it's size

-the inexplicable:

1) why must it have the worst on/off switch ever, why??? it's really a pain to operate, should be at least a couple of mm wider and taller and the bay it's in should also be taller as well, since there is a lot of space for that, i have really slim finger tips yet the bay is still way to narrow in height to operate the switch normally without to much maneuvering, arrrggh

2) since it's as much of a desktop device as it is portable, why do i have to peek inside the small glass hole, from close up on top of it, to check battery, crossfeed etc., a bigger hole, more discernible lights (or external light indicators) and a vertical stand would be super useful, along a remote, to operate it from the sofa

also been wondering what does the actual D/A conversion, analog modulation (not the DSP), inside the hugo, what type of dac is it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital-to-analog_converter#DAC_types

also i want to add the hugo's crossfeed is pure magic, first cossfeed that actually worked for me, it really makes for a refreshing listening of standard stereo records (not binaural) with headphones, less fatiguing, compared to binaural records, standard stereo mastering on headphones has that 'listening to the mic' sound, like plugging the mics directly in your head, sooo unnatural, with the stereo image in your face because of the almost total L or R separation of most instruments

Jun 26, 2015 at 6:13 PM Post #11,070 of 15,694
  also i want to add the hugo's crossfeed is pure magic, first cossfeed that actually worked for me, it really makes for a refreshing listening of standard stereo records (not binaural) with headphones, less fatiguing, compared to binaural records, standard stereo mastering on headphones has that 'listening to the mic' sound, like plugging the mics directly in your head, sooo unnatural, with the stereo image in your face because of the almost total L or R separation of most instruments

I agree: the Hugo's crossfeed is excellent. If I wouldn't have crossfeeded my whole music collection beforehand, I would be immensely thankful for the Hugo's implementation, which sounds virtually exactly like mine. I'm dependent on crossfeed due to undefinable ear resonances (hyperacusis?).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back