Chord Hugo
Jun 26, 2015 at 10:04 PM Post #11,071 of 15,694
Well at least you don't have exostosis in each ear……..
blink.gif
  I do.

Jun 27, 2015 at 1:08 AM Post #11,072 of 15,694
truly speaking i have not listened yggy. i believe, to make sound something sweet and musical in the world of dacs, there are two methods. either you make the dac a bit controlled in the treble region or use tech something like in hugo ie process the digital data in most transparent way. obviously first method is far easier but won't do justice with the realism and transparency of the music. so if a dac like yggy does not sounds good for poor (read bright ) recordings but does have extra perceived detail that means there is something which is not ok for a flagship high end dac. hugo on the other hand does not add anything to treble or bass yet has insane resolution and timing which make even so called bright or poor recording much more enjoyable. my test track for any dac or cdp is a song named 'aadat' of band named 'jal' from pakistan. songs were popular in india also. this songs has prominent cymbals which are very difficult to reproduce correctly for any dac. but hugo does it so beautifully that i have not heard any other dac doing that so cleanly. imho hugo has the sound quality difference at this price point which is very difficult to close, until someone uses almost similar technology like hugo. moreover 2qute has worsened the situation for other dacs.

Jun 27, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #11,074 of 15,694
Bottom line for me personally was (as I was considering the Yggy): Hugo fits in a pocket (albeit a big one) but Yggy is gigantic. Also, no amp on Yggy meant I would get something like the liquid carbon from Cavalli Audio which would mean spending more than $500 or so is necessary.
Finally, no file support over 24 bit 192Khz on the Yggy means it's less future proof than the Hugo (although I doubt I'll see DSD or any high res files over 192Khz become a majority of my collection any time soon).

can't argue with that, heartily agree... speaking as a Head-Fi'er obviously...
normal_smile%20.gif

whatever that meant.. hehe.

Jun 27, 2015 at 5:35 AM Post #11,075 of 15,694
  truly speaking i have not listened yggy. i believe, to make sound something sweet and musical in the world of dacs, there are two methods. either you make the dac a bit controlled in the treble region or use tech something like in hugo ie process the digital data in most transparent way. obviously first method is far easier but won't do justice with the realism and transparency of the music. so if a dac like yggy does not sounds good for poor (read bright ) recordings but does have extra perceived detail that means there is something which is not ok for a flagship high end dac. hugo on the other hand does not add anything to treble or bass yet has insane resolution and timing which make even so called bright or poor recording much more enjoyable. my test track for any dac or cdp is a song named 'aadat' of band named 'jal' from pakistan. songs were popular in india also. this songs has prominent cymbals which are very difficult to reproduce correctly for any dac. but hugo does it so beautifully that i have not heard any other dac doing that so cleanly. imho hugo has the sound quality difference at this price point which is very difficult to close, until someone uses almost similar technology like hugo. moreover 2qute has worsened the situation for other dacs.

Better to stop believing and start knowing! Don't bother with "reviews" of what you believe DACS sound like based on technicalities.
Use your ears - 

L3000.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #11,076 of 15,694
  Well at least you don't have exostosis in each ear……..
blink.gif
  I do.

Ouch!
blink.gif
Sorry for you! Not sure if I would prefer that. So no IEMs?

Jun 27, 2015 at 11:48 AM Post #11,079 of 15,694

Ouch!
blink.gif
Sorry for you! Not sure if I would prefer that. So no IEMs?

Yeah well the customs(jh13) i have hit a little if i push them in too far, which is painful like really painful. I don't use them much anymore, i mostly have found iems that don't go as deep into ear canal. The biggest problem is that when my ear is sealed i have very loud footfall noise with iems. I don't know if this is from the condition or not. The noise varies in loudness, and seems to subside as i have the iems in for a longer period. The customs are pretty bad, i found a pair of vented iems at canjam that don't go to deep in my ear that worked perfectly. They are a little bright for me on some days but very refining and accurate otherwise and no footfall noise due to vents so happy me! They are called fi-ba-ss, you may have heard of them. 

In addition, the opening is very small inside my ear canal so i don't know if that emphasizes my treble or bass, I think it would decrease treble- I have about 5%-8% room open on my left side and maybe 10% open on my right side.

In all, it was worth the forty three years of surfing for some minor discomfort with some iem's, and i don't need to get them drilled out at this point as most of my friends, so i'm good.
wink.gif

Edit-So Okay-Guy not too many cold waves just too many waves and over time it happens, but things could be a lot worse than getting too many waves. 

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #11,080 of 15,694
  Edit-So Okay-Guy not too many cold waves just too many waves and over time it happens, but things could be a lot worse than getting too many waves. 

I daresay that if I was in your part of the world my exostosis would've in another part of my body, bikini's & all that... any chance you could take your Hugo out one day when you get those tunnel-wavey thingies and do a selfie holding it?, be a great marketing photo...
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 27, 2015 at 2:17 PM Post #11,081 of 15,694

Yeah well the customs(jh13) i have hit a little if i push them in too far, which is painful like really painful. I don't use them much anymore, i mostly have found iems that don't go as deep into ear canal. The biggest problem is that when my ear is sealed i have very loud footfall noise with iems. I don't know if this is from the condition or not. The noise varies in loudness, and seems to subside as i have the iems in for a longer period. The customs are pretty bad, i found a pair of vented iems at canjam that don't go to deep in my ear that worked perfectly. They are a little bright for me on some days but very refining and accurate otherwise and no footfall noise due to vents so happy me! They are called fi-ba-ss, you may have heard of them. 

In addition, the opening is very small inside my ear canal so i don't know if that emphasizes my treble or bass, I think it would decrease treble- I have about 5%-8% room open on my left side and maybe 10% open on my right side.

In all, it was worth the forty three years of surfing for some minor discomfort with some iem's, and i don't need to get them drilled out at this point as most of my friends, so i'm good.
wink.gif

I still maintain that a good seal with ciems is not a complete seal.  I know exactly what you mean about even hearing the footfall noise.  Those FAD's you have, by the way, are very nice iem's!

Jun 30, 2015 at 3:59 AM Post #11,084 of 15,694
hi, anybody used Hugo as preamp feeding to power amp and feeding a active sub from headphone out simultaneously ?

Not exactly but used as preamp feeding active monitor speakers with active sub (on which are connected the active monitors).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back