Chord Hugo
Jun 19, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #11,026 of 15,694

Well, if this hiss level (–140 dB) is audible to you, you get hiss from every other electronics component as well, and even more so.

It also has to do with the power band. Hugo and similar powerful amps have too much power at lower ohms.
That's why SE846 does not hiss with all sources. Sensitive IEMs hissing with powerful amps is not something new.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #11,027 of 15,694
  It also has to do with the power band. Hugo and similar powerful amps have too much power at lower ohms.
That's why SE846 does not hiss with all sources. Sensitive IEMs hissing with powerful amps is not something new.

This is partly true. But look at the specs: 115 dB SNR from the X5, 140 dB SNR from the Hugo. Duncan has never complained about hiss from his X5. The power isn't that much different (read: not 300x higher) to explain hiss from the Hugo and no hiss from the X5. In fact the X5 would have to have less than 1/300 of the Hugo's power to show less hiss.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:20 PM Post #11,028 of 15,694
It is a weird one, as the Laylas are more efficient (assuming measurements are the same, rated at 120db sensitivity), and whilst hiss is still apparent, not as much so as with the Shures...

IE800 has no hiss that I can hear, but they also have far less occlusion than the other IEMs mentioned...

Let's not get hooked up over this though, it's not like a cassette deck without Dolby!!

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #11,029 of 15,694

This is partly true. But look at the specs: 115 dB SNR from the X5, 140 dB SNR from the Hugo. Duncan has never complained about hiss from his X5. The power isn't that much different (read: not 300x higher) to explain hiss from the Hugo and no hiss from the X5. In fact the X5 would have to have less than 1/300 of the Hugo's power to show less hiss.

SNR value for noise holds no value here. The hiss we're describing is the absolute noise with no input signals.

These are good reads.

http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/09/noise-dynamic-range.html
http://nwavguy.blogspot.com/2011/02/gain-and-headphone-ampsdacs.html

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:41 PM Post #11,030 of 15,694
It is a weird one, as the Laylas are more efficient (assuming measurements are the same, rated at 120db sensitivity), and whilst hiss is still apparent, not as much so as with the Shures...

IE800 has no hiss that I can hear, but they also have far less occlusion than the other IEMs mentioned...

Let's not get hooked up over this though, it's not like a cassette deck without Dolby!!

Layla's have the bass adjuster circuit on the cables. That could add to the impedance, acting like the inline-resistor for Shure.
My 1964 V3s (119dB SPL/1mW) hisses louder than SE846, though. 

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #11,031 of 15,694

Also, I would think that while wearing an IEM with its occlusion effects the sound of the circulating blood would have a masking effect, enough to make any noise less audible than e.g. through speakers or open headphones in a quite environment, given identical loudness. I know that you don't display the Hugo's hiss as a problem for you, but others do – and even recommend DAPs instead of the Hugo.

Originally Posted by mathi8vadhanan /img/forum/go_quote.gif

SNR value for noise holds no value here. The hiss we're describing is the absolute noise with no input signals.

Yes, but now compare the SNR values in my above post. Sure, a stronger amp will have a higher noise floor with no input signal. But the X5's noise floor is supposed to be 300 times higher than the Hugo's (relatively speaking) from the specs, while the Hugo isn't say 600 times stronger.

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #11,032 of 15,694
Yes, but now compare the SNR values in my above post. Sure, a stronger amp will have a higher noise floor with no input signal. But the X5's noise floor is supposed to be 300 times higher than the Hugo's (relatively speaking) from the specs, while the Hugo isn't say 600 times stronger.
Inadvertently you've helped me validate my purchase of the ZX2 :)

I decided to listen to the headphone out of the X5 with the Layla, and cannot hear any hiss, but - what I can hear is that the SQ is very sub-par compared to the ZX2...

Sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out, but - good to validate nonetheless :)

So, some good has come from this :D

Jun 19, 2015 at 6:55 PM Post #11,033 of 15,694
Inadvertently you've helped me validate my purchase of the ZX2
smily_headphones1.gif

I decided to listen to the headphone out of the X5 with the Layla, and cannot hear any hiss, but - what I can hear is that the SQ is very sub-par compared to the ZX2...

Sure it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that out, but - good to validate nonetheless
smily_headphones1.gif

So, some good has come from this
biggrin.gif

How is the ZX2 compared to the Hugo?

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #11,034 of 15,694
How is the ZX2 compared to the Hugo?
Darker, and not quite so spacious, but with a more prominent bass (would argue more textured, but - that could be a by-product of there being more bass in the first instance)...

...oh, and in keeping with the current track of this thread, silent with IEMs (other than the caps powering up every couple of minutes if nothing is playing)

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:16 PM Post #11,035 of 15,694
Darker, and not quite so spacious, but with a more prominent bass (would argue more textured, but - that could be a by-product of there being more bass in the first instance)...

...oh, and in keeping with the current track of this thread, silent with IEMs (other than the caps powering up every couple of minutes if nothing is playing)

Thank you! – It's not that I feel the need to replace my X5 as pure digital drive, though. And on the go the X3 II is good enough. No hiss with the IE846 either.
tongue_smile.gif

Jun 19, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #11,036 of 15,694
Thank you! – It's not that I feel the need to replace my X5 as pure digital drive, though. And on the go the X3 II is good enough. No hiss with the IE846 either. :tongue_smile:  
I'd chastise you if you did! - the X5 is more than good enough in terms of being a transport for the Hugo, although the SE846 is at the end of it's working life for me, my transportable rig in my signature is still very much in use :)

Jun 19, 2015 at 8:23 PM Post #11,037 of 15,694
I'd chastise you if you did! - the X5 is more than good enough in terms of being a transport for the Hugo, although the SE846 is at the end of it's working life for me, my transportable rig in my signature is still very much in use
smily_headphones1.gif

I know. For me the Layla is no option anyway, as I can't audition it on my place. Moreover I'm still very satisfied with my virtually filterless and equalized SE846 (I guess you haven't tried it that way?). I don't have to have everything others have.
smile.gif
Did I tell that I still like the sound from the X5's headphone out? Maybe it would not be good enough as my main source, as it doesn't match the Hugo's level, but it's not really outclassed in my book.

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:52 AM Post #11,039 of 15,694
has anyone used fiio x3k as transport for Hugo ? I have just ordered x3k. I could use my Android with hiby player as transport for portable use but a bit apprehensive for weak USB input Hugo. I have found that by far an android device with uapp player or hiby player in aeroplane mode is the cleanest and most direct route to Hugo. how will it compare with coaxial of fiio x3k ?

Jun 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM Post #11,040 of 15,694
has anyone used fiio x3k as transport for Hugo ? I have just ordered x3k. I could use my Android with hiby player as transport for portable use but a bit apprehensive for weak USB input Hugo. I have found that by far an android device with uapp player or hiby player in aeroplane mode is the cleanest and most direct route to Hugo. how will it compare with coaxial of fiio x3k ?

What do you mean by weak USB input for Hugo, signal strength or physical strength?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back