Chord Hugo
Jul 12, 2014 at 5:56 AM Post #6,392 of 15,694

I'm sorry but in this case AK240 is a waste of money. If Hugo does the dac&amp job, then AK240 provides nothing to the sound quality. A much cheaper DAP or even a mobile phone with SD card slot will do the same job. AK240 is absolutely unnecessary if you're going to use Hugo.

Obviously you didn't read my point about the AK240 + IEM being an all in one system. I'm would not be carrying a HUGO in my suit pocket on-the-go. And don't expect that it would ever slot into my system when using my DITAs.

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:22 AM Post #6,394 of 15,694
Incidentally, is it a bit unusual for there to be a thread this long and no reviews of the Hugo yet?
Kinda makes you wonder what's up with that doesn't it?

Jul 12, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #6,395 of 15,694
Hey all,
i'm building a new setup from scratch. do you think that the Hugo can drive a naim audio supernait2 amp with a pair of neat momentum stand floorstanding speakers?
the other option is to go with Naim Dac V1. 
What would you do?

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:25 AM Post #6,396 of 15,694

The Hugo sounded fine from the X5, which was a surprise. I usually don't have faith in using a TS connector for S/PDIF as it is far from 75 Ohms. Once I'm back home I'll sit down and have a listen with every input using all the sources and cables I have and see how I feel about the sound with all of them.

So far though, nothing has been bad.

I had tried using X5 and DX 90 to Hugo, both of them sounded congested and blandly densed compared to CLAS -db to Hugo.

Interesting. If I have a chance and Anakchan still has his CLAS db I'll see if I can't compare. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a better quality S/PDIF output. My Audiophilleo is definitely better-sounding than everything else as a source.

Incidentally, is it a bit unusual for there to be a thread this long and no reviews of the Hugo yet?

There were some very good impressions posts. In a couple of weeks I hope to have a video review at least done.

Jul 12, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #6,397 of 15,694

think I have posted around ten links to external reviews (all good), there plenty of peoples impressions in the thread... if you do not fancy scrolling the thread check out Chord's facebook page, most links to reviews are there.

ps... personally thinking the ZX1 is as good a source as any for the Hugo, it does more than the AK240 & is arguably as good with IEM's but hey, that's for another thread (it's also 75% cheaper).

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:03 AM Post #6,398 of 15,694
Good morning ok guy. I have a fellow headfi bro that has the ak240 and an iPod touch . He is claiming the AK240 is way above in sound quality over the iPod touch. Can this be has anyone else here tried this combo in comparison. For me the iPhone 5 in use is about the same as the a desktop CPU combo Meaning really good. What I had the ak240 for a couple weeks I tried the combo. It sounded good but much better with my iPhone. Any thoughts ??
Al

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #6,399 of 15,694
Good morning ok guy. I have a fellow headfi bro that has the ak240 and an iPod touch . He is claiming the AK240 is way above in sound quality over the iPod touch. Can this be has anyone else here tried this combo in comparison. For me the iPhone 5 in use is about the same as the a desktop CPU combo Meaning really good. What I had the ak240 for a couple weeks I tried the combo. It sounded good but much better with my iPhone. Any thoughts ??
Al

afternoon Al... I've never heard a AK240 so won't comment... I did demo my old Sony Z1070 against a AK120 and preferred the Walkman, my Sister has a iPhone 5 and both my Walkmans are better sounding imho but that's using my ears.

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:24 AM Post #6,400 of 15,694
I
Meant as a transport only. Not a direct comparison.
In direct comparison the Hugo blows them all up.
Just using the ak240 as transport verses the iphone as transport

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:45 AM Post #6,402 of 15,694
I love the hugo so much, but my match using audeze LCD rev2 is not the ultimate to my liking, and I just figured I am a basshead as I keep pulling the sms by 50 cent headphones to feel the bass punch.

So which is the best basshead headphone that works with chord hugo, and I mean literally basshead headphones but better than sms by 50 cent, to have a wide soundstage, warm, and not shouty as I have and really hate irritaing highs and mids

Jul 12, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #6,403 of 15,694
  I love the hugo so much, but my match using audeze LCD rev2 is not the ultimate to my liking, and I just figured I am a basshead as I keep pulling the sms by 50 cent headphones to feel the bass punch.

So which is the best basshead headphone that works with chord hugo, and I mean literally basshead headphones but better than sms by 50 cent, to have a wide soundstage, warm, and not shouty as I have and really hate irritaing highs and mids

Try adjusting EQ to boost bass with the LCDs, should be significantly better overall sound qual compared with the other pair...

Jul 12, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #6,404 of 15,694

Try adjusting EQ to boost bass with the LCDs, should be significantly better overall sound qual compared with the other pair...

tried adjusting eq but as I mentioned its does not give me the bass satisfaction as those cheap sms by 50 cent, I am basshead and I want now the best their is for a basshead headphone

Users who are viewing this thread

Back