Chord Hugo
Jul 11, 2014 at 8:01 PM Post #6,377 of 15,694
  Just thinking out loud - should the moderators create a sticky post where people would list all the cables (USB, toslink, coaxial, adaptors, etc) that fit the Hugo?  The same questions on the cables and adaptors seem to be repeated again and again, and it's hard to blame anyone not reading through 400+ pages to find the answers that have already been provided.  The sticky would be a very helpful resource for all the new Hugo buyers.  

I'm with you on that, and I'd go further as 'where can I get cable XYZ ?' is common in threads on everything from sources to amps and even the odd headphone. We also have quite a few MoTs who do make custom cables - I believe Head-Fi should look at the possibility of establishing a new forum limited purely to these discussions, with a heavily-moderated ban on the usual 'how can that cable possibly cost that much ?' discussions. 

Ideally, I'd like to see a site with a database backend allowing us to select from a list of sources, specify a cable type based on the available connections (USB, Toslink, whatever) and receive a set of links to the product pages for each of the cable manufacturers that carry that particular cable. I know said manufacturers spent a lot of time and money ensuring that their own web presence contains the correct product info and they wouldn't be keen to duplicate that effort, but the site I envision would only be a broad search engine and a waypoint to the manufacturer's site. Thoughts ?

Jul 11, 2014 at 11:04 PM Post #6,378 of 15,694
I thought I was done with buying stuff after getting the AK240. Then I made the mistake of subscribing to this damned thread.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:29 AM Post #6,380 of 15,694
I thought I was done with buying stuff after getting the AK240. Then I made the mistake of subscribing to this damned thread.

There are few Hugo's for sale in the for sale forum at good prices. Don't be shy. You know you want one.

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,381 of 15,694
Hi there

Question about Hugo (and DACs in general). Why do they make such good pre-amps? I'm used to pre-amps being the same size a stereo amps. But lately it seems many DACs are also a pre-amp and they seem to be as good as the dedicated ones. So, how come we can suddenly make pre-amps so much smaller and what is it that you need to make a good pre-amp? What qualities and features do you need?

Jul 12, 2014 at 2:31 AM Post #6,382 of 15,694
I'm with you on that, and I'd go further as 'where can I get cable XYZ ?' is common in threads on everything from sources to amps and even the odd headphone. We also have quite a few MoTs who do make custom cables - I believe Head-Fi should look at the possibility of establishing a new forum limited purely to these discussions, with a heavily-moderated ban on the usual 'how can that cable possibly cost that much ?' discussions. 

Ideally, I'd like to see a site with a database backend allowing us to select from a list of sources, specify a cable type based on the available connections (USB, Toslink, whatever) and receive a set of links to the product pages for each of the cable manufacturers that carry that particular cable. I know said manufacturers spent a lot of time and money ensuring that their own web presence contains the correct product info and they wouldn't be keen to duplicate that effort, but the site I envision would only be a broad search engine and a waypoint to the manufacturer's site. Thoughts ?

Issues around cables is pretty unique to hugo. Not many devices have the fit issues the hugo has. There is the cables, tweaks, etc. forum. I would recommend we start a thread there for hugo. Then maybe the moderators/admins can add link to original post to this thread.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #6,383 of 15,694
Also, another new USB cable compatible with Hugo:

http://ppaproduct.blogspot.tw/2013/07/usb-cable.html

It is the slim version that is available.  I haven't tried that cable.  But I have tried the PPA USB to B cable, and it is amazing.  His cables are getting all sorts of recommendations.  I know the PS Audio founder heard the cable and was like WTH is Paul Pang doing to make such a difference in a cable.

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #6,384 of 15,694

They are not directly competing because the Hugo is only portable in the sense you need a transport and bag to make that happen. Whereas AK240 is grab and go.

In pure sq alone imo the AK240 headphone amp section is not quite top tier, the Hugo is most noticeably edging it in soundstage and separation. AK240 is still a good sounding product but you are entitled to be picky at this price-point

Jul 12, 2014 at 3:52 AM Post #6,385 of 15,694
They are not directly competing because the Hugo is only portable in the sense you need a transport and bag to make that happen. Whereas AK240 is grab and go.

In pure sq alone imo the AK240 headphone amp section is not quite top tier, the Hugo is most noticeably edging it in soundstage and separation. AK240 is still a good sounding product but you are entitled to be picky at this price-point

That's precisely why I would consider the HUGO to complement my AK240. The latter is the transport, the former DAC & Amp. As an all-in-one system with IEM, the AK240 is perfect IMO but needs a better amp for headphones. I currently use AK240 > Rx3B+ > LCD-X, a terrific combination I find. Question will be whether the HUGO to replace the ALO amp will be significantly better.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:08 AM Post #6,386 of 15,694
The Hugo sounded fine from the X5, which was a surprise. I usually don't have faith in using a TS connector for S/PDIF as it is far from 75 Ohms. Once I'm back home I'll sit down and have a listen with every input using all the sources and cables I have and see how I feel about the sound with all of them.

So far though, nothing has been bad.

I had tried using X5 and DX 90 to Hugo, both of them sounded congested and blandly densed compared to CLAS -db to Hugo.

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #6,387 of 15,694
That's precisely why I would consider the HUGO to complement my AK240. The latter is the transport, the former DAC & Amp. As an all-in-one system with IEM, the AK240 is perfect IMO but needs a better amp for headphones. I currently use AK240 > Rx3B+ > LCD-X, a terrific combination I find. Question will be whether the HUGO to replace the ALO amp will be significantly better.

I am informed a cheaper AK device via optical out to the Hugo will do just a good a job. AK240 on its own is better than first gen AK100/120. So depends what your needs are. Am yet to try AK100/120 mk2

Edit: if you just want transport there is the X5 mentioned. Not demo that myself

Jul 12, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #6,388 of 15,694
I am informed a cheaper AK device via optical out to the Hugo will do just a good a job. AK240 on its own is better than first gen AK100/120. So depends what your needs are. Am yet to try AK100/120 mk2

Edit: if you just want transport there is the X5 mentioned. Not demo that myself

I still need AK240 for my DITA The Answer, a great combination for a minimalistic system on the go.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:40 AM Post #6,389 of 15,694

I'm sorry but in this case AK240 is a waste of money. If Hugo does the dac&amp job, then AK240 provides nothing to the sound quality. A much cheaper DAP or even a mobile phone with SD card slot will do the same job. AK240 is absolutely unnecessary if you're going to use Hugo.

Jul 12, 2014 at 5:43 AM Post #6,390 of 15,694

You don't need AK240 or 120 if you use a Hugo with it. Just buy a cheaper DAP or a mobile phone with 128 GB micro sd card slot. It'll do the same job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back