Chord Hugo
Feb 12, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #257 of 15,694
There  are impressions posted on this site which would lead one to arrive at such a conclusion.  Also there are reviews around the web which make it abundantly clear that this is about as good as it gets.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:26 AM Post #258 of 15,694
  There  are impressions posted on this site which would lead one to arrive at such a conclusion.  Also there are reviews around the web which make it abundantly clear that this is about as good as it gets.

oh, I am not aware of such impression but it was quite clear to me that Hugo performs exceptionally well when comparing with other portable dac/amp/dap and that the SQ is up to desktop grade.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:23 AM Post #263 of 15,694
What usb cable did you use out of the cck?

Quote:
  Just connected the Hugo to iPad via usb cck and using Onkyo HF Player to play DSD and hi-res flac files.

Native DSD sounded awesome, can't think of any portable device right now that can stream DSD to the Hugo except for idevices or a notebook. Probably be getting an ipod touch 64G to make this a more portable setup. I definitely prefer the SQ and battery life of this setup over AK120S>Hugo, maybe there will be Android base devices that can do this in the near future...

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:51 AM Post #264 of 15,694
As I was searching for more info on Hugo, I stumbled upon this website:
http://www.audionet.com.tw/a/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=5124&page=2#pid32548

Chord did a event in Taipei, it was mentioned that optical can support up to 24/192 and coaxial can support up to 32/384. The claim was tested in their lab. However, it also mentioned that there isn't any transport that can do this in the market? and perhaps Chord will be looking into release one in the future?

Fingers crossed....

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #266 of 15,694
What usb cable did you use out of the cck?

I just use the stock USB cable that came with the Hugo coming out from the CCK, Hugo only take micro USB connectors and I can't find any high end cable with USB A > micro. Just bought some diy usb connectors and will be making one up for this setup...

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #267 of 15,694
I have purchased this micro USB cable to use with my Hugo - http://www.custom-cable.co.uk/vertere-acoustics-d-fi-usb-interconnect-cable.html - as there's an option to specify USB Type A to USB Micro.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:16 PM Post #268 of 15,694
Thanks smial1966, I'll check it out.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:19 PM Post #270 of 15,694
I guess that I am still talking to myself here.. but some of you might want to know.. the Airport Express way was not the way to go, so I tried the AppleTV way also..

The sound was ok even though it was not bit perfect to the DacMagic 100 (16/44.1 upsampled to 16/48). The AppleTV did not drop out as often as the Airport Express but the dropouts still occured and it was annoying.. and I tried to watch Netflix, YouTube etc. on the iPad using AirPlay.. but the AppleTV wanted to show video also (and nothing on the iDevice), even though the HDMI cable wasn't plugged in, and no settings either on the iDevice or AppleTV could change that.. so the AppleTV way was not practical for me either..

The DacMagic 100 sounded ok with some music, but I got tired of listening to it.. and some music sounded awful also.. so I decided to hook up my Linn Akurate DS (ADS/1 with Dynamik power supply upgrade) to my AURALiC Taurus instead, and the ADS has AirPlay support.. now it streams bit perfect and the sound is awsome.. tested with high resolution files also (24/192) streaming from my NAS and it was soooo smooth.. I had actually forgotten about how good head-fi could be.. :)

Now it is two weeks until my Hugo arrives, and I have no economical / practical AirPlay support for it.. so I will be depending on a USB cable and a camera kit and a Bluetooth connection while charging my iDevice.. however I am really looking forward to test Hugo's DAC hooked up to my Taurus, as I believe that Hugo's DAC will be better than the Linn Akurate DS.. and if it is better.. oh my.. oh my.. and I would be happy just getting close to this experience in a portable rig..

Two more weeks of waiting.. arghh..

I guess that I'm talking to myself here.. but you might want to know.. the Airport Express way, is not the way to go.. at least for now.. I have optimized the network setup, and it is quite good, but dropouts still occure now and then.. I've searched on the internet, and I found this:

"I believe there are issues with the stability of the clocks in the latest AEs. If you go over to the pink side, you'll read of problems that the designer of the M-DAC had interfacing an AE to it:

" First first Gen worked without Drop outs when set to High Bandwidth... With Gen 3 they changed the Chip set and its even worst then the first for Jitter performance - with large discrete jumps in clock offsets - these jumps throw off (unlock) any dac with decent jitter attenuation (Tight Lock Bandwidths) - ironically Dac's with poor jitter attenuation cope with the Jumps, but off course they have poor jitter attenuation..."

and here's a similar comment from CambridgeAudio, quoted on an apple support forum:

"Basically, the Airport does not output a smooth SPDIF clocking. Every now and then, the Airport will sporadically adjust its output clock to track the desired sampling rate.
These adjustments are very sudden and are the cause of the noises and/or drop-outs describe".

So I guess I'll go back to the shop with the Airport Express and get my money back.. the cable should be ok but I don't need it anymore.. maybe in a few months if next generation of Airport Express is better..

I've heard that the AppleTV is better.. but dropouts are reported with those as well.. guess I'll give it a try.. but best guess now is to use USB and the camera kit with my iPad / iPhone / iPod Touch and use Bluetooth directly to Hugo while charging the iDevice..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back