Chord Hugo
Sep 24, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #15,151 of 15,694
There are, to my ears, very slight differences in using different daps or your iPhone, be it a slightly brighter sound, a tinge more bass, more forward mids, etc. The differences are insignificant to me. But by and large, the Hugo defines the sound signature, again to my ears. I would have no hesitation using my iPhone with the Hugo. My main reasoning for using another dap relates more to storage, ease of use and availability of high res apps players, and mostly keeping my iPhone available for it's primary use, communication.
Hi fiascogarcia, thanks for the info.

It seems that basically the answer is no, there are no (significant) differences.
So, an ideal travel pack for me would simply consist of an iPhone, Hugo and headphones.
No point in carrying an additional device since iPhone can stream Tidal.

In any case, thanks for letting me know, I'll be sure NOT to buy a DAP before my next trip. :D

Sep 24, 2017 at 1:09 PM Post #15,152 of 15,694
Agree 100% with the above. iPhone is superb into the Hugo.

Oct 4, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #15,153 of 15,694
a song by melissa menago, played through chord hugo, feeding directly to benchmark ahb2 amp in low gain mode, speakers kef r300 with monitor audio rs w12 sub also fed by chord hugo through a pair of rca splitter. cabling is all furutech custom. audio and video recorded separately. for best effect listen through headphones.

Oct 12, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #15,154 of 15,694
There are, to my ears, very slight differences in using different daps or your iPhone, be it a slightly brighter sound, a tinge more bass, more forward mids, etc. The differences are insignificant to me. But by and large, the Hugo defines the sound signature, again to my ears. I would have no hesitation using my iPhone with the Hugo. My main reasoning for using another dap relates more to storage, ease of use and availability of high res apps players, and mostly keeping my iPhone available for it's primary use, communication.

That is true for me as well. I have several DAPs just for the sake of convenience, aesthetics and use case; rather than sonic abilities. Headphones is where significant changes exist. This is the area where I put most of my money. While Hugo is a superb DAC, it is by far the least convenient to use. I hate using my phone as an audio source as I would get interruptions from messages/calls coming in constantly. Hence, the reason I have a few DAPs at my disposal. I still have the good old iPod classic, modified (storage/battery) and rockboxed. Which is what I actually use for most of the time especially when travelling. It's small, light, battery last weeks and got plenty of storage and all the music I ever need to listen to.

Oct 18, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #15,157 of 15,694
Wish I knew. Trying to sell mine.

In the uk they are selling for between £650 and £800 depending on condition and what accessories / full packaging etc.

Oct 18, 2017 at 8:46 AM Post #15,159 of 15,694
Thanks,Triode User. Sounds like about can$1000.00 to $1200.00. Considering the H2 is $2869.00, that might be good news for me; depending on other conditions, of course.

Just do a search on your country's eBay for Chord Hugo with the 'Sold' filter enabled.

Oct 18, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #15,161 of 15,694
Thanks. I didn't know that could be done.

On the web page do the search then look for 'advanced' top right and that will bring up a filter list. On the app just select the sold filter.

Oct 21, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #15,162 of 15,694
I just got the Hugo to replace Centrance Hifi M8 as my transportable setup. I'm running Android phone USB Recorder Pro -> microusb OTG to Hugo. Will a standard cheap $6 microusb OTG cable allow 192/24 or DSD from USB Recorder Pro to the Hugo? Thanks.

Oct 22, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #15,163 of 15,694
Will a standard cheap $6 microusb OTG cable allow 192/24 or DSD from USB Recorder Pro to the Hugo? Thanks.
Yes, this works perfectly for me.. from Samsung Tab S and Samsung galaxy A5.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #15,164 of 15,694
My Hugo 2 arrived yesterday. Within the first hour using it (plugged into power, feeding from my iphone 7 via usb), the Hugo 2 shut down 3 times while playing music. By shut down, I mean it powered off on its own. It was also really hot to the touch

Anyone else experience this? Do they run hot (my Hugo 1 doesn't)?

Oct 26, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #15,165 of 15,694
My Hugo 2 arrived yesterday. Within the first hour using it (plugged into power, feeding from my iphone 7 via usb), the Hugo 2 shut down 3 times while playing music. By shut down, I mean it powered off on its own. It was also really hot to the touch

Anyone else experience this? Do they run hot (my Hugo 1 doesn't)?
It's recommended that you fully charge your Hugo2 before using for the first time. If you leave it plugged in for 24-hrs, it will switch to desktop mode whereupon it will run off the power supply, exclusively, saving wear and tear on the battery. It runs hot if it's doing a full charge while turned on. HTH

Users who are viewing this thread

Back