Chord Hugo
Oct 26, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #15,166 of 15,694
It's recommended that you fully charge your Hugo2 before using for the first time. If you leave it plugged in for 24-hrs, it will switch to desktop mode whereupon it will run off the power supply, exclusively, saving wear and tear on the battery. It runs hot if it's doing a full charge while turned on. HTH

I don't think that is a fully accurate summary of the way the Hugo2 works in desktop mode. As far as I am aware it does not run just off the power supply exclusively.

Rob Watts described it more accurately like this, "In this (desktop) mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it's effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle. Secondly, when in desktop mode, the sustaining voltage is reduced to ensure maximum life."

So the battery is still used but only for dynamic surges.

Oct 26, 2017 at 12:08 PM Post #15,167 of 15,694
I don't think that is a fully accurate summary of the way the Hugo2 works in desktop mode. As far as I am aware it does not run just off the power supply exclusively.

Rob Watts described it more accurately like this, "In this (desktop) mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it's effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle. Secondly, when in desktop mode, the sustaining voltage is reduced to ensure maximum life."

So the battery is still used but only for dynamic surges.
Thanks for elabourating on that. I wasn't entirely sure I had it exact.

Oct 29, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #15,169 of 15,694
Can Hugo be used as table top amp constantly connected to power supply?
And when battery dies, it should be thrown to garbage or it will work connected w dead battery?
Yes it can work as table top constantly connected to the PS.
The problem is that connectors position is a nightmare for table top use.
When battery dies it can be replaced but the unit won't work with a dead battery even if connected to the PS.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:01 AM Post #15,170 of 15,694
Yes it can work as table top constantly connected to the PS.
The problem is that connectors position is a nightmare for table top use.
When battery dies it can be replaced but the unit won't work with a dead battery even if connected to the PS.
The upside is the battery can be easilly replaced by your dealer through Bluebird Audio if you're in North America. I had mine done.

Oct 29, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #15,173 of 15,694
$40.00 (Canadian). I heard quotes of aproximately $34.00 U.S. Not easilly replacable unless you have technical skills which I, for one, don't have. If you happen to be in the Ukraine at the time, I guess you could contact Chord directly.

Or put another way, easily user replaceable if you have soldering skills. :relaxed:

Oct 29, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #15,177 of 15,694

Users who are viewing this thread

Back