Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jul 15, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #541 of 1,686
In answer to your question about second headphone pre-amp: because it sounds better. The Hugo TT amp section is actually not all that good compared to the competition, particularly for phones such as my LCD3F, though even phones such as my AKG812 which are "easy" to drive sound better through the V281: warmer, smoother and with a bigger sound stage. All very subjective of course.

Jul 15, 2016 at 12:24 PM Post #542 of 1,686
  The noise is not affected by volume control so line out mode will make no difference. As Rob Watts stated the noise is coming from the display so there is nothing you can do. Perhaps someone can spread a light on why I can hear it through active speakers and others cannot through an additional second headphone preamp using headphones. I'm sure there will be a technical reason for this.

The reason is simple: The external amp acts as an attenuator, while the digital loudness level is set to (near) maximum. Feeding a power amp directly will result in the full level of the noise, while the digital loudness level is attenuated.

In answer to your question about second headphone pre-amp: because it sounds better. The Hugo TT amp section is actually not all that good compared to the competition, particularly for phones such as my LCD3F, though even phones such as my AKG812 which are "easy" to drive sound better through the V281: warmer, smoother and with a bigger sound stage. All very subjective of course.

I don't question your preference, but I'm not sure if you're aware that it's dedicated to coloration and harmonic distortion. As Rob Watts would say: «Some people like harmonic distortion.»

Now this behavior of your amp apparently leads to a better synergy between the TT and your headphones (not to forget your ears and your sonic ideals), and in my experience harmonic distortion makes the sound more forgiving anyway – helps with masking the inevitable tonal flaws in the reproduction chain.

Your statement «The Hugo TT amp section is actually not all that good compared to the competition» is fundamentally wrong, since the «amp» in the TT consists of some short conductor paths or wires. It's the DAC's output stage which drives the headphones, and the same path is used for the line outs. A perfect headphone amp would sound like the TT's headphone output; the deviation between the two variants shows the coloration introduced by your amp. If you're not satisfied with the TT's (line/headphone) output, you should choose a different DAC instead. Any attached amp will have to deal with the signal from said output – there's no bypassing.

But I see your dilemma: The sound is more to your liking via re-amplification, despite the objective signal corruption. But there's a solution: Instead of making the sound more forgiving (e.g. warmer) you could also make it more neutral, less dependent on forgivingness. The solution is called equalizing. Once your headphones are equalized to sound passably flat (with respect to your personal HRTF), you will moreover experience a refreshing increase of resolution and transparency – a result of reduced masking effects. Moreover you're free to shape the sound to your liking without adding distortion (instead of relying on the amp's «factory preset»).

I wish there was more open-mindedness on Head-Fi. Some people strictly refuse to use equalizers, they even consider their approach puristic, at the same time they have no problem with adding needless electronics components to the signal chain with the goal of euphonizing the signal.

Jul 16, 2016 at 2:22 AM Post #545 of 1,686
Not heard the noise. But will have a listen.

I can live with that if it cuts out when the LEDs do. Price you pay for a few seconds of useful on screen info.

As to the remote... My volume has always messed up the inputs to the extent I was thinking of sending it back. It doesn't always do it, hence why I think it may stop...

But it always comes back! If I am not the only one, then is this a remote problem or a device software issue?

It's usually the volume up button I think, changing the input instead. Infuriating.

I have the issue of the remote with the TT that I tested and after with the TT that I received. For the tested TT, this problem appears more frequently than for my unit.

Jul 17, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #547 of 1,686
I've loaned another TT from my dealer and it has the same display LED noise issue so this is likely to be common to all Hugo TTs. My wife who has very sensitive hearing can hear the noise from 2-3 foot away.

Can either of you hear this problem when sat in the listening chair?

Jul 17, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #548 of 1,686
Hi all I just purchased the Hugo TT for use with the Audeze LCD3 and oBravo EAMT-1C IEMs. Wow!!

Compared with my Oppo Ha1 the Hugo is a big improvement in my opinion and the sound just feels larger and more real. Very happy with the purchase.

I'm not hearing the LCD humming that has been mentioned in this thread and my ears are definitely tuned to that sort of thing because I've heard it a lot on my AR-M2 which is incredibly sensitive.

Are you sure it's not interference from a phone? Sometimes a phone streaming something over 4g can interfere like this..

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:41 AM Post #549 of 1,686
Hi all I just purchased the Hugo TT for use with the Audeze LCD3 and oBravo EAMT-1C IEMs. Wow!!

Compared with my Oppo Ha1 the Hugo is a big improvement in my opinion and the sound just feels larger and more real. Very happy with the purchase.

I'm not hearing the LCD humming that has been mentioned in this thread and my ears are definitely tuned to that sort of thing because I've heard it a lot on my AR-M2 which is incredibly sensitive.

Are you sure it's not interference from a phone? Sometimes a phone streaming something over 4g can interfere like this..

The designer says the noise is caused by the multiplexed display.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/756029/chord-hugo-tt-high-end-dac-amp-impressions-thread/510#post_12717470

Jul 17, 2016 at 8:59 AM Post #550 of 1,686
Hide your wallets, the TToby is available for pre-order
http://scsav.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=897&osCsid=b408e6fe4449896e2a69136a204cdc0d

biggrin.gif

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:02 AM Post #551 of 1,686
no info on the internet know about Goldmund Telos vs Chord DAVE??? Chord known to be almost the bet DAC makers, while Goldmund which bought job company before are know for their epic high end amps

i am really torn between both :O but again i have WA5-LE as an amp to drive my HE=6. so going from Hugo TT to one of these might not be worth it if i am planing to use it as a DAC right?? 

Jul 19, 2016 at 8:22 AM Post #552 of 1,686
  no info on the internet know about Goldmund Telos vs Chord DAVE??? Chord known to be almost the bet DAC makers, while Goldmund which bought job company before are know for their epic high end amps

i am really torn between both :O but again i have WA5-LE as an amp to drive my HE=6. so going from Hugo TT to one of these might not be worth it if i am planing to use it as a DAC right?? 

Keep the Hugo TT, but buy the TToby next month?

Jul 19, 2016 at 9:08 AM Post #553 of 1,686

Keep the Hugo TT, but buy the TToby next month?

i know it can power the HE-6, but i will have to be careful with the volume pot, but i hate dealing with that knowing that this can blow up my HE-6 drivers and my ear. fun and easy yes but CBA getting paranoidish, here to relax hehehe.

also the DAVE as a DAC isn't this bad. might go with DAVE one day and pretend that Goldmund don't exist ;' )   can't test it as i live faraway. 

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:02 AM Post #554 of 1,686
I am using the TT as a DAC to feed a Violectric V281 to drive my phones balanced.
I am confused as to whether it is better to power up the TT in line out mode or use the normal headphone mode.
I understand the output voltage of the TT line out is unusually high as it is meant for a pre-amp or active speakers rather than a headphone amp.

I hope this makes sense?

Jul 26, 2016 at 6:44 AM Post #555 of 1,686
I'm getting gsx mk2 and I figure I'll be reading some manuals after. I'm also need to have advice concerning volume, cross feed, how does one toggle between line out and hp.?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back