Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jul 11, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #511 of 1,686

Rob Watts, thank you for your reply. Having spoken with ATC they tell me the power amps in my speakers are not a balanced design. The balanced input sums the input to a single ended signal (signal and ground) before feeding the signal to the crossover filters and power amps.

Am I correct in understanding the above response from ATC that this now strengthens the case further to try a RCA to XLR single ended cable?

Many thanks again.

Yes, Single ended sounds better on my ATC SCM 50 SLA Tower from TT/DAVE, i have tested it extesivly, but you need good RCA transparent cables:wink:

My rekommendation for the best sound from your ATC's is:

Bibacord or DHC Comp4 / Spore4 Cables

Im still some time away from my se versus balanced test using very high end connections through TT into gsx mk2. Ill be flipping the xlr rca switch and testing  high end cables of se and balanced into hd800S. expensive peace of mind but given TT ( and dave) se dac architecture  ,.... well give me six weeks to get it all together and sufficient testing time.

Jul 12, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #512 of 1,686
if i like my WA5-LE amp (paired with the best tubes) then will i notice a difference coming from Hugo TT (as a dac) ??? 

if the difference is noticeable and worth it (regardless the price, SQ Talk here) then i will go for it sometime later :D

anyone else went from Hugo TT to the DAVE??? as a DAC only.

Jul 12, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #513 of 1,686

Rob Watts, I may have stumbled upon a fault with my TT whilst comparing cables. I noticed that when the front led display is on/lit then a faint high pitch whine/noise can be heard through the speakers, it's audible a foot away. The noise disappears once the front led times out and switches to off. The noise is not affected by volume. Is this normal operation or a fault? Also the time out of the front led display seems intermittent - sometimes it goes out in seconds, other times it takes a few minutes to time out and switch off. Again, is this normal? I have also known the unit on rare occasions to change inputs (say from usb hd to usb sd) when I've actually pressed the volume up/down or mute buttons on the remote which is odd. What are your thoughts?

PS. If you are able to reply to my previous post that would be helpful too :xf_eek:) Thanks.

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #514 of 1,686

Rob Watts, I may have stumbled upon a fault with my TT whilst comparing cables. I noticed that when the front led display is on/lit then a faint high pitch whine/noise can be heard through the speakers, it's audible a foot away. The noise disappears once the front led times out and switches to off. The noise is not affected by volume. Is this normal operation or a fault? Also the time out of the front led display seems intermittent - sometimes it goes out in seconds, other times it takes a few minutes to time out and switch off. Again, is this normal? I have also known the unit on rare occasions to change inputs (say from usb hd to usb sd) when I've actually pressed the volume up/down or mute buttons on the remote which is odd. What are your thoughts?

PS. If you are able to reply to my previous post that would be helpful too :xf_eek:) Thanks.

The display does create some noise as the display is a multiplexed LED. I am just surprised you can hear it, even from one foot. The time out depends upon internal activity, so is not a problem. I have not seen remote issues before, but its possible for the rare error to occur.

Yes in answer to your previous post!

Rob

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:06 AM Post #516 of 1,686

I can confirm both on my TT as well, the buzzing with the display on and the remote switching inputs when flicking volume (not so often).
When using the universal remote (some old Harmony), I don't see that issue, or did not test enough. I can't press the buttons on the original remote anyway, buttons are depressed inside the aluminium.

A disclaimer for those who might think this is more than it is:
unit is sounding great after getting used to the expressive sound signature.
This buzzing is faint and only heard when you touch the remote for a few seconds until it goes off, and only if near the speakers, fed with a high power amp and no analog attenuation after the unit.

It sure would be nice if the screen was on a separate circuit or filtered somehow, this temporarily reduces the silent impression the unit otherwise has. At first I thought it's a grounding problem or while testing a tube preamp that it is adding the buzz.
So it is good that people know about this, they might not ditch the unit when testing with highly sensitive gear; ignore the buzzing, wait until the display is off then listen critically.

Jul 13, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #517 of 1,686

It's not just a few seconds, it's intermittent and mostly on for minutes. I'm constantly changing volume listening to individual tracks (all have different levels) so this noise will be on mostly for me. I get the same result whether RCA or XLR out. You would get the same result whatever power amp you are using.

Is this a serious flaw that impacts sound quality if all units are the same?

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:34 AM Post #518 of 1,686
  Im still some time away from my se versus balanced test using very high end connections through TT into gsx mk2. Ill be flipping the xlr rca switch and testing  high end cables of se and balanced into hd800S. expensive peace of mind but given TT ( and dave) se dac architecture  ,.... well give me six weeks to get it all together and sufficient testing time.

I will look forward to hearing your views on this. It should be very interesting. I am toying with the idea of upgrading my interconnects and maybe my amp. If only I print money 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:43 AM Post #519 of 1,686

I will look forward to hearing your views on this. It should be very interesting. I am toying with the idea of upgrading my interconnects and maybe my amp. If only I print money 
rolleyes.gif

iI bought these. quality-price absolutely exceptional . otherwise there are those who are good. handmade by an Italian craftsman. http://www.analogueseduction.net/qed-interconnect-cables/qed-reference-audio-40-xlr-interconnects.html  http://www.ilgazeboaudiofilo.com/t29891-mi-vendo-cavi-reference-xlr-portento-audio

Jul 13, 2016 at 7:54 AM Post #520 of 1,686
  iI bought these. quality-price absolutely exceptional . otherwise there are those who are good. handmade by an Italian craftsman. http://www.analogueseduction.net/qed-interconnect-cables/qed-reference-audio-40-xlr-interconnects.html  http://www.ilgazeboaudiofilo.com/t29891-mi-vendo-cavi-reference-xlr-portento-audio

Thanks for the links. I am looking at something much more expensive - but may not necessarily be better 
biggrin.gif
 This hobby is killing me - financially 
beyersmile.png

Jul 13, 2016 at 8:21 AM Post #522 of 1,686

Thanks for the links. I am looking at something much more expensive - but may not necessarily be better :D  This hobby is killing me - financially :beyersmile:

I have heard many cables, sometimes by absurd price .. but for me these are the best I ever heard. http://www.portentoaudio.it/prodotto/cavo-segnale-reference-balanced/

Those are nice looking interconnects. I have on order dhc chaparone 3 description as follows.
We now offer our true flagship interconnect cable...the Chaperone3 is the most advanced interconnect we have ever offered.

It features a 22awg "Fusion" design with many unprecedented features adding refinement and detail. There are seven OCC silver litz bundles and seven OCC copper litz bundles arrayed in a cylinder around a core of semiconductor material, which disperses and drains excess energy and static buildup, converting it to heat. Each wire has a conductive carbon secondary insulation for wide-bandwidth noise protection and dampening, with additional cotton dampening stabilizing the internal braid. There are dual foil shields instead of one, around a OFC copper braid shield.

I use dhc this is a small made to order artisan cable shop. Expensive and long wait times but I'm hooked.

I have Termination Valab tellurium copper/carbon fiber/rhodium RCA and Termination Abbatron USA-made tellurium copper/gold 3-pin XLRs

Jul 13, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #525 of 1,686
Not heard the noise. But will have a listen.

I can live with that if it cuts out when the LEDs do. Price you pay for a few seconds of useful on screen info.

As to the remote... My volume has always messed up the inputs to the extent I was thinking of sending it back. It doesn't always do it, hence why I think it may stop...

But it always comes back! If I am not the only one, then is this a remote problem or a device software issue?

It's usually the volume up button I think, changing the input instead. Infuriating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back