Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jun 22, 2016 at 10:22 AM Post #481 of 1,686
Today I collected my own TT set and tried it out against the normal Hugo. My thought are like this

Dac wise it's a darn close fight. Using my kse1500 which removes the amp from the equation:
The TT has a more controlled base, the vocals are a little smoother and has more air in it. Separation is a touch better. That said , kse1500 is extremely sensitive yet it took me considerable time to pin point.

However when you bring the amp into play running the hd800s:
The TT amp stage is just a whole lot more dynamic and cleaner. Immediate impression on my fast heavy bass and guitar track, the Hugo actually feels muddy while the TT is just cleaner and every thing feels in place and separated. And the impression is immediate.

In summary, the Hugo TT as a whole package is significantly better then the Hugo. As a dac only, there are improvements but really small. Unless you are really sensitive to the difference, the Hugo probably is enough as a dac.

For me, I got the TT as a desktop system. Sound quality improvement is a bonus.

Good to hear. So if I use an external amplifier, then there is really no point in upgrading to the Hugo TT? 

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #482 of 1,686

Good to hear. So if I use an external amplifier, then there is really no point in upgrading to the Hugo TT? 

If you prefer your amp flavor, there probably is no point in my opinion. The increment is just really small.

However if you love the Hugo house sound, want it at its purest, the TT offers that. Also based on my own test with the amps I have, non of them outperformed the TT. They may not be extremely highend, but they were chosen cause they sound the best within their purpose and pricing. Yet non of them could beat the TT be it in balanced or SE.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #483 of 1,686
Completed my review here.  http://www.head-fi.org/products/chord-hugo-tt/reviews/16285

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:48 PM Post #484 of 1,686
I don't agree at all. I had the original Hugo for a year just using the DAC portion and liked it very much, but when I substituted the TT in there with no other changes, everything was much better: lows, mids, highs, musical flow, continuity, lack of fatigue, image specificity, dynamics, you-name-it. I never called the Hugo end-game for DAC sonics on redbook 16/44, but I feel the TT could be easily be called that, and it just may be a permanent fixture here with no upgrade needed for good.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:25 PM Post #485 of 1,686
At first I thought that there was improvement, but after several quick swaps with my kse1500 I can't really convince myself it's significantly better against the Hugo on the dac side. Maybe it's just the synergy. There is definitely improvement but everything is just so minute. Thus the most important is test it yourself. For me I'm just happy as Long as it's no worst off (which definitely isn't) then the Hugo. Coupled with a much more capable amp stage now, it's definitely a blast to use it. Many single ended headphones lieing around to immerse myself.

Jun 22, 2016 at 9:55 PM Post #486 of 1,686
And definitely the TT sounds nicely and blissfully darker in the mean world of digital. Rob Watts also mentioned this about the TT vs. the Hugo. I always strive to avoid digital glare and fatigue, and the TT is great at that.
(And, at the same time, it has more resolution and a more transparent bass, and transparent everything. It's amazing!)

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:04 AM Post #487 of 1,686
I'll concure TT is clearly an upgrade over Hugo. Amping TT would be personal choice. I have a/b Hugo and TT. I will a/b with an amp in a few months but I suspect TT to continue to shine over Hugo.

Jun 23, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #488 of 1,686
I think A/B between TT and Hugo is obvious. Its through amp is there a significant difference. Unlike Dave and Mojo which uses a significantly different chip and circuit, the TT is more like an expansion.

Either way now that I got my TT, time to find a amp that is actually better. Or maybe just get a headphone with even better synergy to fully utilize it..

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:11 AM Post #489 of 1,686
I'll concure TT is clearly an upgrade over Hugo. Amping TT would be personal choice. I have a/b Hugo and TT. I will a/b with an amp in a few months but I suspect TT to continue to shine over Hugo.

the amping depend on the power needs as well

i had to buy WA5-LE to power the HE-6 and play around with the sound changing the tubes, worth it <3

tested it then moved the room, photos later (maybe XD )

btw people anyone used his Hugo TT with TH900? the portable hugo sounded lacking and wasn't a good idea with the TH900

i wonder how will the TT sound with the TH900, eager to buy it again <3

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:21 AM Post #490 of 1,686

btw people anyone used his Hugo TT with TH900? the portable hugo sounded lacking and wasn't a good idea with the TH900

i wonder how will the TT sound with the TH900, eager to buy it again <3

I quite like the TH900, Maybe I should go down to my local retailer and try it again with the TT.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:26 AM Post #491 of 1,686
   I quite like the TH900, Maybe I should go down to my local retailer and try it again with the TT.

i still think i will sound way better with the TT + WA5-LE , i used the TH900 before with an SS amp burson brand, and WA7tp

WA7 lack dynamic, and SS amp lack the good mids,  WA5-LE worth the price (upgraded tubes) as you get really good dynmaics + good mids without losing treble or details.

yet again the price might be an issue O-o''  in my case i was after a certain sound sig, not that the TT sounded bad or anything. its just preference. 

will try to compare both in the future. 

TH900 alone is a whole trouble XD i had to test it with many setups :p and sold it twice hehehe. 

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #492 of 1,686
The WA5 is not hard to get here but I didnt quite like the sound. For that price I actually prefer the studio 6 is whole lot better.

TT improved the amp stage quite some bit so Im pretty sure its better then the Hugo on that aspect. Just how much.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:33 AM Post #493 of 1,686
  I think A/B between TT and Hugo is obvious. Its through amp is there a significant difference. Unlike Dave and Mojo which uses a significantly different chip and circuit, the TT is more like an expansion.

Either way now that I got my TT, time to find a amp that is actually better. Or maybe just get a headphone with even better synergy to fully utilize it..

I'm personally not a fan of Chords their amplifiers since they got a high noise floor. My Shure SE846 picks up hiss from the Chord Mojo and Hugo but the hiss is gone if the Chord Hugo is used with an external amplifier like the Taurus MKII. 

I think I'll wait for the Chord Hugo TT 2 probably since it will be a new DAC. If the Hugo TT 2 won't come, then I'll have to spend $10.000 on the Chord Dave unfortunately.

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:35 AM Post #494 of 1,686
Hugo TT 2? update me Amigos!! :D  what have i missed? 

Jun 23, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #495 of 1,686
  Hugo TT 2? update me Amigos!! :D  what have i missed? 

Haha, nothing official. Just my speculation that Chord will release a Chord Hugo TT 2 someday in the future. I hope it won't be in 5+ years. Then I'll simply buy the Chord Dave if it will take so long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back