Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jun 15, 2016 at 1:50 AM Post #466 of 1,686
Just purchased my Hugo TT today. Works nicely with my hd800s. One thing though, when I hook up balance to my amp, I felt that there is a lost of dynamic. RCA actually sounded nicer. Even though my amp is balanced, I took the rca path and let the amp handle the balance conversion which works way better. Wondering anyone had similar experience?

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:08 AM Post #467 of 1,686
Just purchased my Hugo TT today. Works nicely with my hd800s. One thing though, when I hook up balance to my amp, I felt that there is a lost of dynamic. RCA actually sounded nicer. Even though my amp is balanced, I took the rca path and let the amp handle the balance conversion which works way better. Wondering anyone had similar experience?

I suspect the relative quality of your cables may have something to do with it.
I have the TT feeding into a Violectric V281 using cheaper XLR cables and more expensive RCA cables. The sound from the XLR is just slightly brighter and more edgy and slightly louder than the RCA which are a tad darker and smoother.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:07 AM Post #468 of 1,686
Both cables are of relatively good quality since they were demo cables loaned from my retailer. But for now I'm all good for rca. Would have been nice if there was one more output so I can deal with my speaker amp together hmm

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:55 AM Post #469 of 1,686
This is funny that we are on the subject, i will borrow a new set 100h break in Transparent Ref 5 XLR cables with a list price of €7000 Euros ! , and see how it compares to my RCA Chord Company Indigo Tuned Array, and if its better to let the DAVE do the balanced conversation or ledt the balanced amp do the jobb, the answer i get too night.

:sunglasses:

Jun 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #470 of 1,686
Well I have on order gsx mk2 with RCA and xlr chaparone 3 dhc interconnects. Very high quality interconnects so with an xlr or RCA toggle and balanced and se quality hd800S cables, will be able to perform an expensive and otherwise interesting test of se and balanced through TT. Things are on order so report back in a few months about the whole deal.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #471 of 1,686
I moved from modest RCA to decent XLR to hook up to my expensive mono blocks ( £5k worth) and I am not convinced.

But I need to try a proper ABX.

May be in my head.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #472 of 1,686

Really would also depend on what amp you're using. On the GS-X Mk2 with the TT feeding it, balanced is clearly superior with my HD800S (and HE1000 and LCD-4 and T1G2).

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #473 of 1,686
It may just be the implementation of the connector. But overal now, rca seems to do a better job. The amp I'm using is the new cayin iha6.

I ran the Hugo TT alone SE and with amp balance out to my hd800s. So far it's better running through amp in balance. Improved sound stage and it feels for dynamic. Maybe the amount of power available. On the other hand, iha6 SE out is not that great. Better to go direct from the TT.

Probably will write up a reviews for all my recent purchases including the TT this weekend. Maybe also hook up to my speakers and try it out beyond just headphones.

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #474 of 1,686
As promised:

A ship came loded with some Transparent Ref 5 XLR cables today, tuned and impedance matched for the DAVE / new SimAudio Moon 600i Amp and drive it Bypass from the pre-amp to not lose any transparency.

I have both the XLR and the RCA connected btw the dave and amp, is that any drawbacks for overheating with them connected at the same time for the DAVE @Rob Watts ?

First impressions of the Transparent Ref 5 cable is you lose some transparency and clarity resolution going balanced with DAVE as already stated from Rob because of the extra OP amps in the signal path , but the sound is more composed, and have more meat to the bone and feel heavier and more smooth than single ended.

The diffrence are fairly subtle, but there is a slight diffrence in the presentation and the singel ended sound a little thin and slightly sharper and jagged, but the XLRś is a bit too heavely bassy sounding but in the same time very smooth and nice.

Will also try out with a set of Kimber KS-1036 XLRś in the next step, so the hunt for the best sound in the world from a Headphones continues :wink:

QBD76HDSD special edition for the livingroom :

Jun 16, 2016 at 9:49 AM Post #475 of 1,686
Which means its better to run RCA and let the amp handle the stuff. Still they sound great so all is still good haha

Jun 22, 2016 at 6:12 AM Post #477 of 1,686
Hi Guys,

I wonder if somebody can answer this question for me?

I have the TT and currently the XLR output is connected to my active focal monitors. I want to also add my active sub woofer to the chain, but I'm not sure if it's possible.

Is the XLR and RCA output active at the same time? I could use the XLR output for my active speakers, then use the RCA output for my active sub. Is this possible to do?

Thanks all

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:24 AM Post #478 of 1,686
Anyone compared the TT and the WooAudio WA8 transportable tube DAC/AMP ?  

I found the WA8 more "fun & emotional" than the "small" HUGO, but I will be interested to hear how it compare to the bigger TT.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:42 AM Post #479 of 1,686
Today I collected my own TT set and tried it out against the normal Hugo. My thought are like this

Dac wise it's a darn close fight. Using my kse1500 which removes the amp from the equation:
The TT has a more controlled base, the vocals are a little smoother and has more air in it. Separation is a touch better. That said , kse1500 is extremely sensitive yet it took me considerable time to pin point.

However when you bring the amp into play running the hd800s:
The TT amp stage is just a whole lot more dynamic and cleaner. Immediate impression on my fast heavy bass and guitar track, the Hugo actually feels muddy while the TT is just cleaner and every thing feels in place and separated. And the impression is immediate.

In summary, the Hugo TT as a whole package is significantly better then the Hugo. As a dac only, there are improvements but really small. Unless you are really sensitive to the difference, the Hugo probably is enough as a dac.

For me, I got the TT as a desktop system. Sound quality improvement is a bonus.

Jun 22, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #480 of 1,686
And WA8 is much more fun then Hugo. It will still stay the same for the TT. What improvement the TT will give is control and clarity. I find the wa8 can be a little too warm and Bassy at times.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back