Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Jul 27, 2016 at 11:37 AM Post #571 of 1,686

In normal mode, the volume wheel, when the TT is switched on, should be red in colour. I believe what you have done is reset (deactivated) the line level output mode. Try pressing the Xfeed button and switching the TT on again. The volume wheel should turn light purple/blue. You need to hold on to the Xfeed button until the TT is completely switched on before releasing it

Interesting. If that's the case how come I am able to  get a signal delivered from my Oppo BDP - 105D and Panasonic Blu-ray player  via coaxial and optical respectively, into TT and then by analogue (RCA) output delivered to my Sennheiser HDVD amp?

Jul 27, 2016 at 11:50 AM Post #572 of 1,686

My nightly desktop stack

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:42 PM Post #573 of 1,686
  Interesting. If that's the case how come I am able to  get a signal delivered from my Oppo BDP - 105D and Panasonic Blu-ray player  via coaxial and optical respectively, into TT and then by analogue (RCA) output delivered to my Sennheiser HDVD amp?

Of course you are able to get a signal to your HDVD amp. What we are saying is that with line level output set, you do not need to adjust the volume wheel anymore since the volume on the TT is set at almost maximum level. If the volume wheel on your TT when switched on is red, it mean the volume is low and you may need to max out the volume on your amp. The idea of using the line level output on the TT is to allow you to only control the volume through the amp. Try activating the line level output and see if you prefer this setup. You can always switch back if you dislike it. I hope this clarifies the matter.

Jul 27, 2016 at 12:52 PM Post #574 of 1,686

In normal mode, the volume wheel, when the TT is switched on, should be red in colour. I believe what you have done is reset (deactivated) the line level output mode. Try pressing the Xfeed button and switching the TT on again. The volume wheel should turn light purple/blue. You need to hold on to the Xfeed button until the TT is completely switched on before releasing it

The term «line-out mode» is misleading. In fact it isn't a mode, just a volume preset (to ~3 volts at digital 0). Actually you don't need that «line-out mode» – just set the volume to light purple or the like manually, it will do the very same. That's the reason why you always get a signal through the line out, since it uses the same signal path as the headphone out (at least single ended).

I never cared for the line out mode on my Hugo for listening to my electrostats, just for light purple. And now with my DAVE I just leave the volume set to «0» in this case (the volume settings for engaged and empty headphone socket are stored separately).

Jul 30, 2016 at 11:42 AM Post #576 of 1,686
Can you say how? Wasn't this the display noise? If so, what's the fix ?!

I think quite a few people would be interested to know the fix 
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:27 PM Post #577 of 1,686
rob watts, in os x using the tt hd usb shows a dac mode of 32 bit depth only, no 16 bit depth option. this means that the software players such as itunes and audirvana are converting my 16 bit apple lossless files to 32 bit, and not sending bit perfect. probably not a problem in audirvana as the conversion is likely to be pure but in itunes i suspect a lot more is going on in conversion as it doesnt sound as good. is it possible for the tt dac audio midi settings in os x to show a mode of 16 bit to prevent itunes from converting 16 bit files and destroying sound quality? the tt sound quality in os x is basically dependant on the quality of conversion from software players.

Aug 12, 2016 at 1:33 PM Post #578 of 1,686
If you want 16 bit can't you use the sd port? And do you know about the audio midi controller located in utilities?

I don't get the sound quality destruction thing but I don't use bit perfect software so maybe I'm not helping

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #580 of 1,686
sd port does not offer galvanic isolation. its the utilities audio midi settings i am talking about. you cannot change the tt from 32bit to 16bit. itunes and audirvana will therefore convert a 16 bit file to 32 bit and never send bit perfect to tt dac. in theory its trivial to convert 16 bit to 32 bit and should not effect sound quality. however, i suspect that itunes is doing more (as it doesnt sound as good as audirvana) and in the process reducing sound quality. this is an issue for me as i use itunes and like the ui, remote app, and integration with my other apple devices. if the audio midi settings for the dac tt would allow 16 bit then itunes will not do any conversion when playing back 16 bit files and send bit perfect audio to tt dac.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:31 PM Post #582 of 1,686
I don't find the bit-rate reported in Jriver to make much difference in the sound quality subjectively of my TT. There seems to be little correlation in the sound quality. Even hires things I have from hdtracks and such don't necessarily sound better than my ripped redbook CDs consistently. But overall, things sound great.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:43 PM Post #583 of 1,686
sd port does not offer galvanic isolation. its the utilities audio midi settings i am talking about. you cannot change the tt from 32bit to 16bit. itunes and audirvana will therefore convert a 16 bit file to 32 bit and never send bit perfect to tt dac. in theory its trivial to convert 16 bit to 32 bit and should not effect sound quality. however, i suspect that itunes is doing more (as it doesnt sound as good as audirvana) and in the process reducing sound quality. this is an issue for me as i use itunes and like the ui, remote app, and integration with my other apple devices. if the audio midi settings for the dac tt would allow 16 bit then itunes will not do any conversion when playing back 16 bit files and send bit perfect audio to tt dac.

update.

I switched to sd port in hugo and got 2 ch 16 bit or 1 ch 16 bit option. 

Isn't the sd port in TT the same as hugo and isn't it galvanized as well?

I was thinking of updating to pure music channel d but i find iTunes and apple lossless at 320 k and 384 and 32 bit quite good

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #584 of 1,686
would love to try dave! my two nearest local chord electronics dealers are not interested. neither have the dave in stock and neither responded to my request for a demo.

I could go test dave out but don't want to know, its the price of a honda civic in Canada. TT sounds great to me and am just waiting for my new amp and interconnects and see whats what.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back