Chord Hugo TT High End DAC Amp Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2016 at 3:22 PM Post #586 of 1,686
Mmm...yeah but does the Civic make beautiful music? Lol!.......on a personal note, it looks like there's a Dave in my future. Looks like bye bye to my TT.

Please let us know what you think. Good luck and thanks in advance. I ask here because the Dave thread seems to be focused on graduate-level digital audio engineering.

Aug 12, 2016 at 3:48 PM Post #587 of 1,686
update.

I switched to sd port in hugo and got 2 ch 16 bit or 1 ch 16 bit option. 

Isn't the sd port in TT the same as hugo and isn't it galvanized as well?

I was thinking of updating to pure music channel d but i find iTunes and apple lossless at 320 k and 384 and 32 bit quite good

thats right tt sd usb 16 bit and no galvanic isolation. not tried pure music but audirvana worth trying for sure

Aug 13, 2016 at 6:45 AM Post #588 of 1,686
rob watts, in os x using the tt hd usb shows a dac mode of 32 bit depth only, no 16 bit depth option. this means that the software players such as itunes and audirvana are converting my 16 bit apple lossless files to 32 bit, and not sending bit perfect. probably not a problem in audirvana as the conversion is likely to be pure but in itunes i suspect a lot more is going on in conversion as it doesnt sound as good. is it possible for the tt dac audio midi settings in os x to show a mode of 16 bit to prevent itunes from converting 16 bit files and destroying sound quality? the tt sound quality in os x is basically dependant on the quality of conversion from software players.

I have no practical experience of Apple; so I asked Matt from Chord. He tests our products with iOS, Linux and Andriod. He said:

"You can get software like Bitperfect or Audirvana to run in conjunction with iTunes to sort out the sample rate and bit depth. This avoids the OS messing with it but as far as I am aware iTunes on its own is not bit perfect."

Rob

Aug 13, 2016 at 1:26 PM Post #589 of 1,686
thanks rob. i guess i could re-phase the question so you can answer. if the tt received 16 bit audio to the hd usb input what would happen? the problem is that i cannot configure any software under os x to send a 16 bit file as 16 bit. audirvana and bit perfect will always convert a 16 bit file and send as 32 bit because at the driver/operating system level of os x they see the tt dac device as 32 bit capable only, not 16 bit capable. therefore 16 bit to 32 bit conversion will always be done in the software rather than inside the dac. itunes on its own is bit perfect (i tested it) when the sample rate and bit depth of both the dac device driver (audio midi setup) and audio file match.

Aug 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #590 of 1,686
  I have no practical experience of Apple; so I asked Matt from Chord. He tests our products with iOS, Linux and Andriod. He said:

"You can get software like Bitperfect or Audirvana to run in conjunction with iTunes to sort out the sample rate and bit depth. This avoids the OS messing with it but as far as I am aware iTunes on its own is not bit perfect."

Rob

I use Audirvana and it is quite the pairing with my TT.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:05 AM Post #592 of 1,686
thanks rob. i guess i could re-phase the question so you can answer. if the tt received 16 bit audio to the hd usb input what would happen? the problem is that i cannot configure any software under os x to send a 16 bit file as 16 bit. audirvana and bit perfect will always convert a 16 bit file and send as 32 bit because at the driver/operating system level of os x they see the tt dac device as 32 bit capable only, not 16 bit capable. therefore 16 bit to 32 bit conversion will always be done in the software rather than inside the dac. itunes on its own is bit perfect (i tested it) when the sample rate and bit depth of both the dac device driver (audio midi setup) and audio file match.

TT will accept 32 bits quite happily. The potential SQ losses is in the conversion from 16 to 32 bits, not TT receiving a 32 bit signal.

Rob

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:16 PM Post #593 of 1,686
thanks rob. im terrible at explaining myself! my question really was can the tt accept 16 bits at the hd usb input? its not possible to send 16 bits to the tt hd usb in os x whatever software you use due to the device/driver settings (audio midi setup). my point really is that the device/driver settings (audio midi setup) should provide 16 bits as an option and it does not. it only provides a single option of 32 bits so therefore all software such as itunes, audirvana etc will always convert 16 bits to 32 bits before it reaches the tt dac. all my music is in 16 bit apple lossless and id rather have the tt dac convert (if possible) rather than the computer software.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:48 PM Post #594 of 1,686
thanks rob. im terrible at explaining myself! my question really was can the tt accept 16 bits at the hd usb input? its not possible to send 16 bits to the tt hd usb in os x whatever software you use due to the device/driver settings (audio midi setup). my point really is that the device/driver settings (audio midi setup) should provide 16 bits as an option and it does not. it only provides a single option of 32 bits so therefore all software such as itunes, audirvana etc will always convert 16 bits to 32 bits before it reaches the tt dac. all my music is in 16 bit apple lossless and id rather have the tt dac convert (if possible) rather than the computer software.

why do you have it in 16 bit? and what about the sd port then? sorry for budding in again. whats wrong with 32 bit?

Aug 14, 2016 at 1:28 PM Post #595 of 1,686
16 bits as thats the way it was ripped from cd. nothing wrong with 32 bit providing the conversion from 16 bit to 32 bit is done correctly without loss. id rather the dac did the conversion. sd usb port is not isolated so noisy.

Aug 14, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #596 of 1,686

Yes TT can accept 16 bits on USB HD. Its fairly simple really. USB is always 32 bits, that's the protocol. So when it transmits 16 bits, its 16 plus 16 of zero. So the DAC doesn't actually care what the bit depth is, they are all treated the same way. Similarly, if the source multiplies the data by exactly one, then you will get 16 bits plus 16 bit of zero. If dither gets added, this won't matter too.

Rob

Aug 20, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #598 of 1,686
Rob Watts, I'm giving JRiver on Windows a try using HD USB input on TT. There are multiple driver options for Hugo TT inside JRiver, which is the best one to select? In addition, is there any way to keep JRiver output to Hugo TT 16 bit to match the 16 bit file being played? Thanks!

Aug 20, 2016 at 1:53 PM Post #599 of 1,686
In addition, is there any way to keep JRiver output to Hugo TT 16 bit to match the 16 bit file being played?

How do you know that this is actually worth obsessing over?  

It sounds like Rob is saying you are getting 16 bits of data padded out to 32 bits with 16 bits of zeros.  In other words, you are getting 16 bits worth of data.  I can't imagine this would sound any different than if you actually saw that 16 bits were being output.  Have you heard otherwise?

Aug 20, 2016 at 2:56 PM Post #600 of 1,686
edir: sorry, wrong thread. I misclicked the tab on the iPad Air and now I was posting in the wrong thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back