Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jul 29, 2014 at 8:32 AM Post #61 of 1,858
Yes that is my finding too that stock ak240 similar to Hugo. Purely headphone DAC/amp I would buy Hugo, but they do different things. Have you heard stock ak240 and how does rwa mod change the sound?

I think Mic means, and I agree with him, that the AK240 has a similar signature to Hugo, but they perform at different levels - Hugo has every strength SQ-wise that AK240 has and better at almost everything, maybe except soundstage width (which ak240 is wider, burials sound flatter).

This is in contrast say comparing Calyx M or HM901 to Hugo where they don't have similar signature making it harder to compare. Personally I think Hugo also is more transparent and present music in a more lifelike way that M or HM901.

I heard @holeout's rwak240 and it has a fuller sound than stock, but doesn't really make it as transparent or as musical as the Hugo IMO.

Jul 29, 2014 at 8:50 AM Post #62 of 1,858

Tried Amarra for a few hours today, my feeling is that Audirvana is cleaner, has more clarity, its certainly easier to use!!

Amarra sounds coloured and thicker through its presentation. I can see why people like it.  

My preference is Audirvana - I ran back to it...

You should give it more time. After a few hours you can't decide because they are obviously to different. You should try it for a couple of days and then decide, it's wort it. Amarra 3.0 definitely improved over the last versions and is imho the best Amarra yet released.

Jul 29, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #63 of 1,858
I think Mic means, and I agree with him, that the AK240 has a similar signature to Hugo, but they perform at different levels - Hugo has every strength SQ-wise that AK240 has and better at almost everything, maybe except soundstage width (which ak240 is wider, burials sound flatter).

This is in contrast say comparing Calyx M or HM901 to Hugo where they don't have similar signature making it harder to compare. Personally I think Hugo also is more transparent and present music in a more lifelike way that M or HM901.

I heard @holeout's rwak240 and it has a fuller sound than stock, but doesn't really make it as transparent or as musical as the Hugo IMO.
Actually the RWAK240 does not really give a fuller sound, I find it stays on the thinner side, but gives weight and depth to the bass.

Jul 29, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #65 of 1,858

Actually the RWAK240 does not really give a fuller sound, I find it stays on the thinner side, but gives weight and depth to the bass.

IMO, RWAK240 has a touch more "presence" across the range when compared with stock and is most noticeable in the lower frequencies. To my ears, the Hugo is definitely more musical with better layering and dynamics when using full size headphones compared with the AK. With the right iems, the gap narrows.

Jul 30, 2014 at 12:46 AM Post #67 of 1,858
If you right click over the running player, it comes up with 128 kbps aac. It is not the so called HD audio, which is 320 kbps aac.

But HD audio is supposed to be on radio 3 iplayer "through the night", which I play a lot. But adobe flash reports it as 128 kbps aac...  

So something is not right here. But it sounds much better than it has any right too! Very musical.

Rob 

Jul 30, 2014 at 1:31 AM Post #68 of 1,858
  FYI - I'm compiling a list of cables and connectors that worked for Hugo

You can add the Moon Audio Silver Dragon to that list.

Jul 30, 2014 at 2:23 AM Post #69 of 1,858
  You should give it more time. After a few hours you can't decide because they are obviously to different. You should try it for a couple of days and then decide, it's wort it. Amarra 3.0 definitely improved over the last versions and is imho the best Amarra yet released.

Okay I went back and ran Amarra for hours, maybe I have it configured wrong (entirely possible because the UI is such a mess) I am struggling to find a good guide on how to set it up best. TBH its PITA. I will mess about with it some more. I managed to get DSD 128 files to run okay.  

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #70 of 1,858

Good idea. You can add this Silver Dragon from Moon Audio have to pick Cardas GCRN option, I am getting this so would know in a week or so.

http://www.moon-audio.com/silver-dragon-cables/moon-audio-silver-dragon-v1-digital-cable.html

Also, Chord Company now offers a Hugo-modified version of their digital cables, from the Prodac up to the Sarum line.

http://www.chord.co.uk/products/usb-and-digital-audio-interconnects/

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:34 AM Post #71 of 1,858

Great idea!, you can add the ALO line of RCA's to that.

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:51 AM Post #72 of 1,858
Cables are definitely where I'm at now, this patch cable I'm using can easily be bettered I'm sure...

Waiting for a 'studio grade' BNC cable to pitch up (to use with the included adapter) - will see how that changes things before going for the more esoteric cables you guys are tempting me with! :)

...Still in awe of what my portable rig as a whole is capable of, whether it be Vivaldi, Jazz or EDM, just doesn't put a foot wrong...

...Happy, Happy chappie :)

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:23 AM Post #74 of 1,858
Cables are definitely where I'm at now, this patch cable I'm using can easily be bettered I'm sure...

Waiting for a 'studio grade' BNC cable to pitch up (to use with the included adapter) - will see how that changes things before going for the more esoteric cables you guys are tempting me with!
smily_headphones1.gif

...Still in awe of what my portable rig as a whole is capable of, whether it be Vivaldi, Jazz or EDM, just doesn't put a foot wrong...

...Happy, Happy chappie
smily_headphones1.gif

Totally agree. I am fairly new into headphones and definitely more of a speaker guy, with my primary speaker system the result of multiple upgrades and tweaks over a period of probably 15 years to achieve optimum listening pleasure. Yet what I experience from my relatively new transportable Hugo setup is a listening enjoyment that rivals this speaker system. Currently I am using a cheap digital coax cable and excited on what improvement a decent SPDIF cable would bring. I am also thrilled on what further listening pleasure I will get when I move from the Shure 846 IEM to more serious headphones with the Hugo.

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:33 AM Post #75 of 1,858
Will the other thread be re-opened?  I want to ask people's opinions/recommendations on using a desktop amp with Hugo, but this isn't the place for it
Thanks avl06 for respecting the ethos of this thread :)

Re the other thread, it is on cooldown for a couple of days, I don't see any reason why it won't be re-opened, worst case scenario if not opened within a couple of days, would be to start a new thread, and then - once / if re-opened, the two threads could be merged...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back