Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jul 30, 2014 at 6:02 AM Post #76 of 1,858
  If you right click over the running player, it comes up with 128 kbps aac. It is not the so called HD audio, which is 320 kbps aac.

But HD audio is supposed to be on radio 3 iplayer "through the night", which I play a lot. But adobe flash reports it as 128 kbps aac...  

So something is not right here. But it sounds much better than it has any right too! Very musical.

Rob 

I keep seeing it advertised on BBC1 so was wondering about it, anything from the BBC tends to sound good... I'll try some Spotify tracks later to compare as I use that to demo CD's I'm interested in.

don't know if you've seen Jude's review of the Hugo but seeing as no-ones posted a review yet thought I'd repost it here, link:

http://www.head-fi.org/a/head-fi-buying-guide-portable-amps-dacs-daps

Jul 30, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #77 of 1,858
Thanks avl06 for respecting the ethos of this thread
smily_headphones1.gif

Re the other thread, it is on cooldown for a couple of days, I don't see any reason why it won't be re-opened, worst case scenario if not opened within a couple of days, would be to start a new thread, and then - once / if re-opened, the two threads could be merged...

I've been advised by Dr.Rob to steer clear of certain file-formats as it can Atrac the wrong attention... he advised me to take three Red-Books four times a day to cure my nibbling habit...
wink_face.gif

Jul 30, 2014 at 3:57 PM Post #78 of 1,858
I so didn't want to do this, but just swapped over the digital cable, and could hear more depth and cohesion, thought I was kidding myself, but then arranged for a blind test, and passed that...

Think that is a whole new element of weirdness in my book!!

Jul 30, 2014 at 5:42 PM Post #79 of 1,858

Okay I went back and ran Amarra for hours, maybe I have it configured wrong (entirely possible because the UI is such a mess) I am struggling to find a good guide on how to set it up best. TBH its PITA. I will mess about with it some more. I managed to get DSD 128 files to run okay.  

These are my preferences. You can also send a pm if you want.

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:41 AM Post #80 of 1,858
My HUGO  hanged again !

Very strange: for the third time in few months, my HUGO (using Optical in) hanged in the middle of playing a song, while the battery was 1/2 full. No more sound, no more lights !

Turning it  OFF/ON/OFF/ON/OFF... did not help

I had, like the 2 other time, to plug in the power cord to be able to bring it to life. And then I could disconnect it from the power cord, and keept on playing music, since there were still lot of battery left !

anyone experienced this ?   Should I return it or is there si Firmware update to fix this ?  (It is a HUGO with the NEW Casing)

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:44 AM Post #81 of 1,858
Good question re the Firmware, does such a thing exist or will there be any updates?

Jul 31, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #82 of 1,858
  These are my preferences. You can also send a pm if you want.

Thank you will try Amarra again over the weekend with your settings

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:20 AM Post #83 of 1,858
No there are no firmware up dates - at the moment. Updating the device means a return to Chord, and taking it apart, so it's not simple.

@bmichels - this sounds odd. Sounds like the battery indicator is faulty, so you are getting a false reading. This condition won't give you poor SQ though.

Rob

Jul 31, 2014 at 5:53 AM Post #84 of 1,858
  No there are no firmware up dates - at the moment. Updating the device means a return to Chord, and taking it apart, so it's not simple.

@bmichels - this sounds odd. Sounds like the battery indicator is faulty, so you are getting a false reading. This condition won't give you poor SQ though.

Rob

No Rob, it does not seems like the battery indicator is wrong since, after I "reboot" by plugging for few seconds the power supply in, I can then play for some more hours from the battery.   (or may be you mean that the battery indicator give wrong informations TO THE HUGO, and make it stop while there are still plenty juice inside the battery ? )

Jul 31, 2014 at 6:04 AM Post #85 of 1,858
Hmm. Sounds like its the enable feeding the main regulator that powers the FPGA, so the whole system is being shut down with the battery at say 7.4v rather than the usual 6.3v. When the FPGA stops it will just flash red at you. If you send it back for repair, please add these comments too the unit, it will help them fix it. Again it won't affect the SQ.

Rob 

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #86 of 1,858
I'm sitting here in my apartment overlooking a river on a beautiful sunny day in Kent contemplating my last few hours of freedom on Head-Fi, I now know how Hannibal felt before his masking, I digress...

From tomorrow I will be joining the Team at Chord Electronics as a Customer-Liaison Rep on Head-Fi... my role will be to act as a conduit for Head-Fi'ers who need information or help with their Chord products, I will channel any queries or questions to the right person within the team & will follow things through to conclusion.

I will also keep Head-Fi'ers informed or new products and Events & Shows... my role is independent of Chord as I essentially work direct for John Franks & assist Rob on Head-Fi.

I am a happy chappy indeedy...
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 9:47 AM Post #87 of 1,858
OK-Guy Congratulations Sir!

Well deserved :)

Enjoy the view, and - enjoy the prospect of us all here giving you lots of questions, and - probably - grief :wink:

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:00 AM Post #88 of 1,858
@OK-Guy Congratulations Sir!

Well deserved
smily_headphones1.gif

Enjoy the view, and - enjoy the prospect of us all here giving you lots of questions, and - probably - grief
wink.gif

Thank-you Duncan... can I thank the rest Admin as well, especially Currawong for the sterling advice.

it's kind off weird to be getting grief as it's normally the other way around... bummer not being able to bite back but at least listening to the Hugo will add some cheer to my new role (hope you enjoyed my sneaky marketing plug).

cheers again Duncan...
beerchug.gif

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:38 AM Post #89 of 1,858
  I'm sitting here in my apartment overlooking a river on a beautiful sunny day in Kent contemplating my last few hours of freedom on Head-Fi, I now know how Hannibal felt before his masking, I digress...

From tomorrow I will be joining the Team at Chord Electronics as a Customer-Liaison Rep on Head-Fi... my role will be to act as a conduit for Head-Fi'ers who need information or help with their Chord products, I will channel any queries or questions to the right person within the team & will follow things through to conclusion.

I will also keep Head-Fi'ers informed or new products and Events & Shows... my role is independent of Chord as I essentially work direct for John Franks & assist Rob on Head-Fi.

I am a happy chappy indeedy...
bigsmile_face.gif

congratulations and good luck!  can we get some inside info right away please - when is the new QBD (aka desktop Hugo) coming out?  can't wait to get my hands on it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back