Chord Hugo - The PORTABLE discussion thread
Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #31 of 1,858

Chord Electronics will be showing various products including the Hugo at the forthcoming Hi-End Show taking place in Hong-Kong.

The Event is taking place at: Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre (HKCEC) between August 8th - August 10th 2014.

Chord’s stand will be Hosted by their famed distributor Xin He Audio so expect a warm welcome.

Link: http://www.xinheaudio.com/

I will be announcing some very special news along with Chord products at the show later in the week...
tongue_smile.gif

Jul 28, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #32 of 1,858
Jackpot guys, one-piece micro USB to Lightning cable FTW

Good find! Just a bit unsure if the usb side can fit into the recessed jack on Hugo... plus is there a micro to micro usb version for us android users?

Jul 28, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #35 of 1,858
Maybe we could probably find out if WM-PORT version with USB OTG were doable for Sony Walkman F880 series and ZX1.
I think you have that wrong...

Surely it would be WM-Port to micro-USB? - OTG is what is plugged into the Android device, not what is plugged into the (in this case) Hugo...

...I must admit, having my hands on Sony's version of the adapter (needing a USB cable to be plugged into it) that it is definitely cumbersome (and, I have to say - very big!)

Jul 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #36 of 1,858
I have the 901, RWAK240 and Hugo as well, and would say that 240 and Hugo have quite close sound signatures, Hugo being to my ears significantly better. Compared to 901, the sound sigs are too different for clear technical comparison but Hugo still has the edge. I have not noticed significant changes in SQ when changing the transport used with Hugo...whether it be computer via USB, 901 via coax or 240 via optical.

I have never heard any RWA mod. I have had stock AK240 and Hugo side-by-side on loan at home for a week. Can you expand? You say "quite close" then "significantly better". How does RWA mod differ to stock also to your ears (I have read the marketing claims). Thanks

(Edit: grammar)

Jul 28, 2014 at 1:46 PM Post #40 of 1,858
That's what I want to pair up with the Hugo, the new Walkman. I was a Walkman user from way back and its exciting to see Sony bring the name back with updated tech.
Great description of the "new" Walkman, a very very expensive Walkman, but a fantastic portable unit non the less. I'd like to see a pic and impressions from someone using the Hugo with an iPhone 5, the standard Apple camera connection kit, and a full set of headphones. Closed or open doesn't matter. Couldn't find one on the now suspended other Hugo thread. A lot of my reservations concerning the Hugo and other FOTM high end portable audio gear is the difficulty in finding and the excessive cost of suitable connection cables. I love watching Jude's podcasts. He gets so pumped up when he finds a new bit of gear. But like when he introduced the Algorithm Solo which I believe had some super custom interconnects made especially for Jude, I fear that the Hugo is going down the same road.

Jul 28, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #42 of 1,858
For those experiencing harshness with the Hugo, how many hours do you have on it?  I've been experiencing extreme harshness but I just came up on about 50 hours and it seems to be mellowing a bit.  If it keeps getting better it might be a keeper after all.

Jul 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM Post #43 of 1,858
  For those experiencing harshness with the Hugo, how many hours do you have on it?  I've been experiencing extreme harshness but I just came up on about 50 hours and it seems to be mellowing a bit.  If it keeps getting better it might be a keeper after all.

Audirvana plus is a little bit harsh. What I did was turn on the iZotope upsampling to 352,8 kHz and 384 khz respectively and it seems to work more or less. I've been using Amarra 3.0 for a couple of days and the harshness is more or less gone. I don't know, Audirvana plus and the Hugo don't seem to like each other really. I am using the Fostex th-600 and it could be also related to them. I don't have harshness with my Spiral Ear SE-5way and Audirvana...

Jul 28, 2014 at 6:10 PM Post #44 of 1,858

I found my Hugo needed a good 100+ hours on it before it started to lose some of that harshness as you put it. Though it was excellent to start with! It now has 300+ hours and it sounds creamy smooth. I am using Audirvana + but will try Amarra today.

I prefer the sound without Audirvana up sampling. I found it lost a little bit of PRAT.

Jul 28, 2014 at 7:39 PM Post #45 of 1,858

Latest discovery for 20 bucks that could fit Hugo's recessed coaxial input? Only good for 16bit / 48kHz output

http://www.stanleyelecs.com/se1001.html

http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=38488009727

http://www.dcfever.com/trading/view.php?itemID=2697871

T2gckPXJxaXXXXXXXX_!!408230444.jpg

T2bQwPXHpaXXXXXXXX_!!408230444.jpg

T2L1kTXIJXXXXXXXXX_!!408230444.jpg

Supposedly no drivers required for Windows and Mac OS X at all, could that very darn well be a good candidate for Android as well as iOS devices with CCK? Hopefully that won't draw too much power, otherwise we'll need too add USB hub.

It's about the same size as RCA connectors with female micro connector. Nice stuff for those of us who prefer the coaxial input.

Now if they could fit Audio-gd's USB32 inside, that would be legendary, if unnecessary for the Hugo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back