Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 30, 2019 at 7:09 PM Post #4,472 of 6,752
Got it, but using colour as indicator for voltage out may seem not to be optimal. There should be a dedicatet bulb for the v-output. That would make things intuitivet. That said; not a fan of the bulb and collours, Change it wih a more direct display; Let say a red letter 1v etc. Cryptic display is not a good thing. Gives me a headache.
I just noticed this post. I recommended a friend to buy the Qutest and he complained of the same problem. I ended up referring him to YouTube review videos online to see how things are set because I’m too allergic to his cat to help him set it up and I don’t own a Qutest. What I found out later was that when you turn on Qutest, it cycles through the colours because that’s the time for setting the DC servo but that has nothing to do with the voltage settings and my friend was confused that he can press the buttons to set the voltage during this time. He was also holding onto the Filter and Input buttons either indefinitely or he’s watching the color change and pressing the buttons super quickly. I believe you’re supposed to press them and see the color change. If it still seems confusing, it’s best to see those YouTube reviews as to how the voltage is set.

Dec 1, 2019 at 8:05 PM Post #4,473 of 6,752
Does anyone here uses the ifi idefender 3.0 in their qutest x macbook pro usb setup? Do you need the “clean usb power” input on the idefender for the handshake? Apparently last week ive tried switching from optical connection (lifatec glass) to just an atlas usb cable and surprisingly the sound seems more dynamic, more alive (which wasnt the case i started using usb connection and found optical to be better in the beginning) So im thinking of cutting the usb power off the macbook pro using the idefender. Hope to hear inputs on this thanks.

Dec 1, 2019 at 11:48 PM Post #4,474 of 6,752
Does anyone here uses the ifi idefender 3.0 in their qutest x macbook pro usb setup? Do you need the “clean usb power” input on the idefender for the handshake? Apparently last week ive tried switching from optical connection (lifatec glass) to just an atlas usb cable and surprisingly the sound seems more dynamic, more alive (which wasnt the case i started using usb connection and found optical to be better in the beginning) So im thinking of cutting the usb power off the macbook pro using the idefender. Hope to hear inputs on this thanks.

I think you're either going to get a very slight improvement at best or no improvement at worst. In addition, the USB input is already galvanically isolated so adding iDefender might be much less effective in improving the sound compared to USBs without galvanic isolation.

Dec 2, 2019 at 6:44 AM Post #4,476 of 6,752
I used to find usb input for mojo, slightly more dynamic and alive than optical input. Unfortunately they tend to be synonyms for added RFI and noise.

that is true, thats what i felt when i changed from optical to usb before ive got clean electricity in my system (isolation transformer). But now that dynamic im talkin about is different. I dont know how to explain it but its just alot of air and some frequencies just sound effortless and right. It breathes better, more relaxed.

Dec 4, 2019 at 7:52 PM Post #4,477 of 6,752
For those using usb w qutest, ive tried using an ifi idefender usb3.0 which has ground auto , so it disconnect electricity current on your usb cable once the “handshake” process is done. Sounds alot quieter. Next will try to input clean 5v power on the idefender and see if that improves the sound.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #4,481 of 6,752
Yes it needs the VBUS from the source to power the USB decoder chip, which is placed at the source side of the galvanic isolator - this means that the decoding noise cannot affect the DAC.

Dec 5, 2019 at 11:28 AM Post #4,482 of 6,752
Yes it needs the VBUS from the source to power the USB decoder chip, which is placed at the source side of the galvanic isolator - this means that the decoding noise cannot affect the DAC.
Thank you for answering @Rob Watts Rob. Much appreciated. The other day i have tried installing the ifi idefender 3.0 (used to cut the vbus from source) but it needs a clean power connected through its female usb micro slot on the idefender. I didnt connect any power but it still worked. That is why im asking this question. Cause without the power the qutest still recognized the macbook pro. Can you please clarify @iFi audio ? Thank you.

Dec 5, 2019 at 2:12 PM Post #4,484 of 6,752
I have the Qutest partnered with my Schiit Asgard 3 preamplifier which is connected to my Matrix Audio Mini-i Amp.

I have set the output to 1v but there is still too much gain. On the volume dial - 7pm is loud, 9pm too loud.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is my best option some Rothwell Attenuators? If yes - 10, 15 or 20db?

Sorry I have zero knowledge on how I should have partnered these electronics!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back