Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Nov 19, 2019 at 4:46 PM Post #4,457 of 6,743
oh well, the colour settings/display on Chord products can be confusing lol.

I think the confusion arises when you look at the manual and assume the colours move from left to right as per the manual, just read the colours from the manual right to left and it makes sense.

Whatever voltage you're on it will always be, Blue > Green > Red

Nov 19, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #4,458 of 6,743
So would you say that iPower 5V should be used in combination with AC iPurifier? Have you tried to use them separately? Thanks)

i would suggest using them combined. The function of ac ipurifier used alongside the ipower is to “isolate” / “separate” the ipower from the rest of the components.

B5721374-DBD2-4359-97F7-B0B69E671B62.png

Nov 19, 2019 at 8:42 PM Post #4,459 of 6,743
I think the confusion arises when you look at the manual and assume the colours move from left to right as per the manual, just read the colours from the manual right to left and it makes sense.

Whatever voltage you're on it will always be, Blue > Green > Red
Got it, but using colour as indicator for voltage out may seem not to be optimal. There should be a dedicatet bulb for the v-output. That would make things intuitivet. That said; not a fan of the bulb and collours, Change it wih a more direct display; Let say a red letter 1v etc. Cryptic display is not a good thing. Gives me a headache.

Nov 22, 2019 at 12:24 PM Post #4,463 of 6,743
I am not sure I fully understand your question - I assume you are referring to the PSU voltage on the micro USB. 4.9v is fine as a USB input voltage. All power rails are regulated internally, so the absolute value of the PSU voltage is unimportant - as long as it meets USB specs of 5v +/- 0.25v.

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #4,464 of 6,743
I currently have a Qutest that I’m using with a Gilmore Lite amp and my ZMF Verite.

I do love what I’m hearing but I just came into a balanced cable and am considering the AURALiC Taurus amp (used) as upgrade over the GL. I had considered the HeadAmp GSX-mini but it’s out of my price range. Any thoughts on the qutest + taurus pair?

I’m concerned it would be too bright? Any thoughts? Thanks friends!

Rich

Nov 26, 2019 at 5:43 PM Post #4,465 of 6,743
I currently have a Qutest that I’m using with a Gilmore Lite amp and my ZMF Verite.

I do love what I’m hearing but I just came into a balanced cable and am considering the AURALiC Taurus amp (used) as upgrade over the GL. I had considered the HeadAmp GSX-mini but it’s out of my price range. Any thoughts on the qutest + taurus pair?

I’m concerned it would be too bright? Any thoughts? Thanks friends!

Rich
I used to own the Qutest Taurus pairing. I was also expecting it to sound a bit bright, but it is not. It is actually on the warmish side of neutral with a solid amount of bass. I never heard the Gilmore, so can't compare. I was going to buy the Mini too, but ended up with a TT2 instead and not looking back.
One more thought on the Taurus, that the balanced out sounds better (cleaner, tighter) than the SE output, so you will want a balanced cable as well.

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:08 PM Post #4,468 of 6,743
I think soon Chord will announce few new products: 2go and maybe something else. I hope if they managed to complete 2go , maybe Qutest range network streamer coming :)

I would be really happy to see a next Quest with a jacked power supply and a power switch and with XLR outputs, I do not think this is something too much to expect from the respected company... They have it already in the same body in the Huei phono stage, so I know it is absolutely possible. :)

Nov 29, 2019 at 12:15 PM Post #4,469 of 6,743
I would be really happy to see a next Quest with a jacked power supply and a power switch and with XLR outputs, I do not think this is something too much to expect from the respected company... They have it already in the same body in the Huei phono stage, so I know it is absolutely possible. :)
well... good power supply require more expense + more expense for bigger casing = less profit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back