Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Dec 20, 2019 at 11:31 AM Post #4,501 of 6,743
They may be so subtle that I simply can't hear them. I've been toggling through the 4 filters, w/o leaving any on for very long, expecting to hear differences.
I'll try the green and use that as my default setting for now.

Dec 21, 2019 at 8:03 PM Post #4,505 of 6,743
Qutest filters do make subtle sound differences, but If that's not enough, one can try a decent upsampling program for certain purposes. For example, while well-recorded, clean albums sounds fantastic on their own, I sometimes listen to electronica, club music, which benefit greatly from upsampling to 176.4 kHz via Foobar's PPHS (Ultra) upsampler, which smoothes out the top end, making them less naked-sounding, while retaining most of the detail.

1221191639a_HDR by drjlo2, on Flickr

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:18 PM Post #4,506 of 6,743
Would it be best to plug the ifi ipower straight in the wallsocket or into my Isotek venus
powerfilter?

Maybe using Stock psu and plugging it in the powerfilter would be best solution?

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2019 at 4:16 PM Post #4,507 of 6,743
First post on here. i have a Qutest since about 3 weeks and its great. I am using it mainly with USB input. I have a dedicated DAS (a mini ITX box with internal HDD and running Daphile OS) connected to Qutest using an 8m Supra USB cable. I get the occasional click on the sound over USB - could this be caused by the long USB cable length? In general are there problems with the long cable length? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.

Dec 24, 2019 at 4:29 PM Post #4,508 of 6,743
First post on here. i have a Qutest since about 3 weeks and its great. I am using it mainly with USB input. I have a dedicated DAS (a mini ITX box with internal HDD and running Daphile OS) connected to Qutest using an 8m Supra USB cable. I get the occasional click on the sound over USB - could this be caused by the long USB cable length? In general are there problems with the long cable length? Thanks in advance for any helpful replies.
When do you get the clicks, at the start of tracks, or during the middle of tracks?

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:02 AM Post #4,510 of 6,743
In general its in the middle rather than at the start, it seems random, but there might be more towards the earlier part of a song. They are only occasional.
That narrows things down a bit:
  1. Clicks at the start of tracks, can be caused if the bitrate of the tracks changes, and the dac has to pause until the correct new bitrate has been identified, and the data buffer filled with the correct data
  2. Clicks during tracks can be caused if a phone or PC, pauses the usb data flow to be paused, whilst another task such as screen update, or memory update, etc is performed. This can usually be cured by fine tuning the phone/PC settings (unless watching a video, the screen update can be reduced in priority)
  3. Clicks can also be caused by RFI from fridges, a/c units, garage doors etc, but it is much easier to check/eliminate bullet point 2 first
What music player are you using on your DAS?

Dec 25, 2019 at 7:39 AM Post #4,511 of 6,743
I was under the impression that USB cable maximum length should be 3-5m. Anything longer can be unreliable. Unfortunately there is no way to know if your USB cable length is the problem without using a much shorter one to test it out. As others have pointed out other possibilities for the clicks. But I would start testing shorter 1-2m USB cables first if possible.

Dec 25, 2019 at 8:06 AM Post #4,512 of 6,743
I was under the impression that USB cable maximum length should be 3-5m. Anything longer can be unreliable. Unfortunately there is no way to know if your USB cable length is the problem without using a much shorter one to test it out. As others have pointed out other possibilities for the clicks. But I would start testing shorter 1-2m USB cables first if possible.

I also thought that 5m was the usual max recommended USB cable length.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back