Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 2, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #4,517 of 6,743
Great. At least everyone has been able to suggest some avenues to explore, to try and solve your issue.
OK Reporting back!

I moved the DAS nearer the Qutest and used the cable that came with the Qutest. There were fewer clicks. Then I discovered that there were clicks on the recording I was using to test! This is a 24/192 recording of Ladies of the Canyon by Joni Mitchell. I noticed that the clicks were always coming in the same places in the songs after I moved the DAS. For example one about 12 sec into the first song, Morning Morgantown. Then I tried an old CD rip and the same clicks were on that as well. Then I tried the different versions of the LP streamed from Qobuz – on these as well. Other recordings I have tried recently have no or very few clicks (sometimes you can’t tell if you are playing electronica because they often put click like sounds on the record itself). So I think I have eliminated most random clicks and am hearing ones on the recordings now – I think I missed them before I got the Qutest – I can only guess because the Qutest picks out details more clearly.

I also tried a “better” USB cable – an Audioquest Carbon USB 1.5m. I think this makes a definite improvement over the cable that came with the Qutest. I think there is an improvement in clarity and coherence with the AQ cable over the standard one. I think there is greater separation between the different elements in the music but they fit together better. In general the music seems to have more “life” and is more fun to listen to I reckon. I got the AQ cable intending to send it back if it made no improvement and I am keeping it.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated

Jan 2, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #4,518 of 6,743
OK Reporting back!

I moved the DAS nearer the Qutest and used the cable that came with the Qutest. There were fewer clicks. Then I discovered that there were clicks on the recording I was using to test! This is a 24/192 recording of Ladies of the Canyon by Joni Mitchell. I noticed that the clicks were always coming in the same places in the songs after I moved the DAS. For example one about 12 sec into the first song, Morning Morgantown. Then I tried an old CD rip and the same clicks were on that as well. Then I tried the different versions of the LP streamed from Qobuz – on these as well. Other recordings I have tried recently have no or very few clicks (sometimes you can’t tell if you are playing electronica because they often put click like sounds on the record itself). So I think I have eliminated most random clicks and am hearing ones on the recordings now – I think I missed them before I got the Qutest – I can only guess because the Qutest picks out details more clearly.

I also tried a “better” USB cable – an Audioquest Carbon USB 1.5m. I think this makes a definite improvement over the cable that came with the Qutest. I think there is an improvement in clarity and coherence with the AQ cable over the standard one. I think there is greater separation between the different elements in the music but they fit together better. In general the music seems to have more “life” and is more fun to listen to I reckon. I got the AQ cable intending to send it back if it made no improvement and I am keeping it.

Thanks for the input - much appreciated
Try different cables too! Audioquest in general have very noisy usb cables. Usb cables are very noisy and they need lot of shielding, power leg separation, great insulation.
You would be surprised how much smoother and quieter Everything can sound with different brands.
Aq make great IC, but their usb cables need revamping.

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #4,519 of 6,743
Hey folks,

I have a question that may have already been discussed somewhere in this long thread. Can RCA splitters (such as Audioquest) be used with the Qutest without affecting sound quality? I want to use the Qutest to feed separate IC runs to my Burson Soloist Mk II headphone amp and my main Creek 4330R > KEF LS50 setup.

I'm currently using the Audioquest splitters with a Schiit Mimby without any ill effects. Just wondered if the Qutest's output impedance and power are up to the task. Currently considering the Qutest against the Yggy, and the ability to feed two amps at once is a major deciding factor, as they Yggy has two sets of single-ended outs.

Thanks in advance!

Jan 4, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #4,520 of 6,743
Hey folks,

I have a question that may have already been discussed somewhere in this long thread. Can RCA splitters (such as Audioquest) be used with the Qutest without affecting sound quality? I want to use the Qutest to feed separate IC runs to my Burson Soloist Mk II headphone amp and my main Creek 4330R > KEF LS50 setup.

I'm currently using the Audioquest splitters with a Schiit Mimby without any ill effects. Just wondered if the Qutest's output impedance and power are up to the task. Currently considering the Qutest against the Yggy, and the ability to feed two amps at once is a major deciding factor, as they Yggy has two sets of single-ended outs.

Thanks in advance!

I do the same thing and use Tara Labs all metal splitters to drive my headphone amp and my speaker amp. I do recall that the output impedance the Qutest sees can impact the sound if both amplifiers are powered up, so I leave one shut off. Perhaps @Rob Watts can chime in whether this last step is necessary.

Jan 5, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #4,521 of 6,743
Thanks, jwbrent. I'm hoping not to have to power down my speaker amp to listen to headphones, as I like to leave all my gear on all the time. If anyone else has experience with this, I'd love to hear it. The ability to drive two amps at once could tip me toward the Yggy.

Jan 5, 2020 at 10:03 AM Post #4,522 of 6,743
20200105_150047.jpg

So its done.. i installed 2 lowZ buffer caps over the pos. and neg. 8v power feeds to the OP stage of my Qutest as u see on the bottom of the picture. I drive my HP straight out of the RCA's . The result is truly more dynamics and control over the HP's drivers. It was a puzzle to fit them in though. No more external amp for me anymore. The TT2 can wait a bit longer. :)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #4,523 of 6,743

So its done.. i installed 2 lowZ buffer caps over the pos. and neg. 8v power feeds to the OP stage of my Qutest as u see on the bottom of the picture. I drive my HP straight out of the RCA's . The result is truly more dynamics and control over the HP's drivers. It was a puzzle to fit them in though. No more external amp for me anymore. The TT2 can wait a bit longer. :)

You used electrolytics caps? What value uF, V?
Do you have photos of the board location where you soldered on the caps?
Does it now sound different (better?) when driving an external amplifier, not headphones directly?

Jan 5, 2020 at 3:10 PM Post #4,524 of 6,743
Theyre 10v 3300uF but its the low z that matters most for current peaks drawn by the HP.
I made more pics yes..

20200105_145741.jpg

20200105_145849.jpg

20200105_145814.jpg

I measured reversing from the RCA's to locate the components to place them. Using a external amp i dont expect improvements since that is kohms load. The Qutest already has the optimal design for that usage.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 2:25 AM Post #4,525 of 6,743
I do the same thing and use Tara Labs all metal splitters to drive my headphone amp and my speaker amp. I do recall that the output impedance the Qutest sees can impact the sound if both amplifiers are powered up, so I leave one shut off. Perhaps @Rob Watts can chime in whether this last step is necessary.

So Qutest will drive any amplifier input impedance OK. I would only get worried at 100 ohms or less - and amp inputs are many times larger than that.

But I am worried about the possibility of causing SQ troubles with turning off a connected amp. Amps have input diodes clamped to the + and - supplies for ESD and other over voltage protection. These would operate with no power and the effect of the diodes could be to degrade linearity; the effect would depend upon the input resistance on the power amp input though. So listen to it with it on or off, and go with the one that sounds closest to the SQ when the cable for the unused amp is disconnected.

Jan 6, 2020 at 2:55 AM Post #4,526 of 6,743
So I am interested in the Qutest...but obviously find it expensive...only if it does things that cheaper alternatives can do to a similar extent.

My setup is HiFiMan Arya with THX AAA 789...and currently run the Tidal HIFI source via my SMSL M500 DAC (I know cheap Chi-Fi). The M500 DAC measures incredibly well (better than the Qutest) and some folks at ASR swear that I won't hear a difference between that and the Qutest double matched... something they call 'being objectivist'...

I am 35 and live in UAE where there is no place to Demo Chord Products. My question to the experts here is simple: Do similar measuring DACs as regards SINAD and Distortion etc. sound exactly alike in listening like the theory suggests? Has anyone done a double matched A/B testing to confirm this?

And in my current setup, would getting the Qutest make a huge difference in SQ and experience...enough to justify the new acquisition? Apologies for the vague question...Many Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 4:42 AM Post #4,527 of 6,743
You can demo Chord at Dubai Audio - indeed I am doing a couple of events there on the 20th and 21st of this month.

As to measurements - it depends what you measure. SINAD and distortion are very simple tests and do not tell you how it sounds like at all. The ear/brain is extremely sensitive to vanishingly small errors, and these matter a great deal to the ability to enjoy music. At the end of the day you need to hear it for yourself - only you can decide with your set-up whether it works for you or not.

Jan 6, 2020 at 6:36 AM Post #4,528 of 6,743
You can demo Chord at Dubai Audio - indeed I am doing a couple of events there on the 20th and 21st of this month.

As to measurements - it depends what you measure. SINAD and distortion are very simple tests and do not tell you how it sounds like at all. The ear/brain is extremely sensitive to vanishingly small errors, and these matter a great deal to the ability to enjoy music. At the end of the day you need to hear it for yourself - only you can decide with your set-up whether it works for you or not.
Thanks @Rob Watts I will ask Dubai Audio then. In any case, I don't think they or Samma3a in Dubai provide sales return in case one buys and is not happy with the product. Btw where and when will you be holding the event and is it gonna be public?

As to Qutest, I like many have this question: why didn't you put a balanced out on the DAC. I do consider my Amp and Headphones to be detailed enough to benefit from the Qutest...but the lack of balanced out kinda discourages me....maybe many like me...don't know if it should though!

Thanks

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2020 at 7:18 AM Post #4,529 of 6,743
Yes the events at Dubai Audio will be public. I don't have the detailed times of it yet...

My DACs are innately single ended, so adding balanced will add extra circuitry, and hence degrade transparency. This is the reverse of other DACs - they have to be balanced, as it's impossible to remove common mode noise from the chip substrate unless you go differential (balanced).

Jan 6, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #4,530 of 6,743
So Qutest will drive any amplifier input impedance OK. I would only get worried at 100 ohms or less - and amp inputs are many times larger than that.

But I am worried about the possibility of causing SQ troubles with turning off a connected amp. Amps have input diodes clamped to the + and - supplies for ESD and other over voltage protection. These would operate with no power and the effect of the diodes could be to degrade linearity; the effect would depend upon the input resistance on the power amp input though. So listen to it with it on or off, and go with the one that sounds closest to the SQ when the cable for the unused amp is disconnected.

Thanks, @Rob Watts. I gather from this that I can use my Audioquest splitters to feed my headphone amp and speaker amp, probably leave both amps on all the time, and not worry about it. This helps a lot in my decision vs the Yggy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back