Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread
Jan 16, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #2,881 of 6,740
Just make, or get someone to make, RCA to XLR leads for you. That way you avoid an adaptor. Bluejeanscable.com (amongs others) will make such leads for you, though you need to write to them with the correct pin out. It should be in the amp manual, or the manufacturer should be able to tell you. It is often hot to pin 2, return to pin 3, ground to pin 1 at the XLR end, and hot to the center pin of the RCA and return and ground to the ground of the RCA.

Thank you. New cables certainly are one option.

Cardas XLR adapters are the go to for audiophile.

Thank you; I just found them online. Another member recommended Neutriks, which also look promising. Great suggestions - just what I needed. Thanks everyone.

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:17 PM Post #2,882 of 6,740
Thank you. New cables certainly are one option.

Thank you; I just found them online. Another member recommended Neutriks, which also look promising. Great suggestions - just what I needed. Thanks everyone.

If you want to go down the adapter route, you can get excellent pro-quality adapters from Canford Audio for a fifth of the price of the Cardas ones.

https://www.canford.co.uk/XLR-ADAPTERS

Jan 16, 2019 at 4:35 PM Post #2,883 of 6,740
Jan 17, 2019 at 1:47 PM Post #2,885 of 6,740
Hello all,

newbie to the DAC game and purchased the Qutest on a whim based on all the positive feedback from the majority.

Having set up the DAC, I'm not "wowed" by it so far.

Does this DAC need some time to run in?

My system is built up of the following...

Cyrus CDt, Pre2DAC QX, Stereo 200 & PSX-R2
Bluesound Node 2i
Monitor Audio Platinum PL200 II

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2019 at 2:09 PM Post #2,886 of 6,740
Hello all,

newbie to the DAC game and purchased the Qutest on a whim based on all the positive feedback from the majority.

Bluesound Node 2i
This is a big can of worms with many schools of thought. Without diving into them all, at very least, I find it's helpful to reserve judgment - and critical analysis - until my ear and brain have had some time to adjust. I don't have a formula for how long that adjustment should take, but for me, it's measured in weeks or months. YMMV.

For what it's worth, my Qutest pairs wonderfully with my ALO Studio Six, Abyss Diana Phis, and Nordost Heimdall II cables and power cords.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,887 of 6,740
This is a big can of worms with many schools of thought. Without diving into them all, at very least, I find it's helpful to reserve judgment - and critical analysis - until my ear and brain have had some time to adjust. I don't have a formula for how long that adjustment should take, but for me, it's measured in weeks or months. YMMV.

For what it's worth, my Qutest pairs wonderfully with my ALO Studio Six, Abyss Diana Phis, and Nordost Heimdall II cables and power cords.

Fair point. Thanks.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:14 PM Post #2,888 of 6,740
Hello all,

Bluesound Node 2i

Hi . You have a pretty good DAC already with the pre 2. Cyrus makes great 32 multi-bit dacs, however given your amp try setting your Qutest to 3V RMS .

Lastly. I found upon proper burn it time the qutest's mid range cleaned up a lot. At the start things were a bit glaring with the upper miss but man oh man they smooth out.
Just be patient .you'll see its value with in your sound chain soon enough.

Enjoy.

Jan 17, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #2,889 of 6,740
Hi . You have a pretty good DAC already with the pre 2. Cyrus makes great 32 multi-bit dacs, however given your amp try setting your Qutest to 3V RMS .

Lastly. I found upon proper burn it time the qutest's mid range cleaned up a lot. At the start things were a bit glaring with the upper miss but man oh man they smooth out.
Just be patient .you'll see its value with in your sound chain soon enough.

Enjoy.

Thanks, will give 3V a go.

Jan 17, 2019 at 3:09 PM Post #2,890 of 6,740
Thanks, will give 3V a go.

I think you'll love it right off the bat .I did. I use Cyrus gear as well, but you need a really elite amp to pair with their CD players. The Qutest will bridge that gap . You can use a modest amp and the Qutest usually set at 3V gives you a ton of power and volume flexibility.

Jan 17, 2019 at 10:21 PM Post #2,891 of 6,740
Hello all,

Bluesound Node 2i

If the sound is somewhat dry and brittle even using the warmer filters, then yes, in my view, the Qutest needs a couple hundred hours of play time, at least, before this character improves. My empirical experience is that digital gear needs burn-in, and the better the gear, the longer it takes.

I’m not a believer in the notion that one’s ears adjust to the initial sound.

I own a Qutest.

Jan 17, 2019 at 11:23 PM Post #2,892 of 6,740
and void the warranty its madness. the supplied psu came about after extensive trial and error.
Hello musickid.
Are you referring to Qutest or M Scaler with this statement ? Or both?
All I can say on this subject so far since "switching" from SPU to battery powered LPS since about a month is that every time I run out of battery in mid track of what I happen to be listening to when it happens and have to plug in the supplied one ,the difference between the battery powered LPS and the supplied SPU with Qutest but M Scaler connected with the supplied unit, at least where I am in Asian countries, is not subtle but quite immediately audible to me with most of my well recorded hi res mainly western classical acoustic music.
And the differences I hear are not in favour of the unit supplied with my Qutest.
The battery powered one sounds calmer/cleaner and purer,and simply better than the supplied one and I am happy I have got it because to me it takes Q/HMS one notch higher and closer to the real reference with my acoustic music.
Cheers Controversial Christer

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 2:20 AM Post #2,893 of 6,740
If the sound is somewhat dry and brittle even using the warmer filters, then yes, in my view, the Qutest needs a couple hundred hours of play time, at least, before this character improves. My empirical experience is that digital gear needs burn-in, and the better the gear, the longer it takes.

I’m not a believer in the notion that one’s ears adjust to the initial sound.

I own a Qutest.

The counter view is that I recollect Rob Watts saying about another of his DACs that he had compared one straight off the production line with one that he had used a lot and he could tell no difference between them.

Jan 18, 2019 at 2:38 AM Post #2,894 of 6,740
The counter view is that I recollect Rob Watts saying about another of his DACs that he had compared one straight off the production line with one that he had used a lot and he could tell no difference between them.
This and I also heard no difference at all.Maybe at the first hour but not really certain.

Jan 18, 2019 at 3:02 AM Post #2,895 of 6,740
Hello musickid.
Are you referring to Qutest or M Scaler with this statement ? Or both?
All I can say on this subject so far since "switching" from SPU to battery powered LPS since about a month is that every time I run out of battery in mid track of what I happen to be listening to when it happens and have to plug in the supplied one ,the difference between the battery powered LPS and the supplied SPU with Qutest but M Scaler connected with the supplied unit, at least where I am in Asian countries, is not subtle but quite immediately audible to me with most of my well recorded hi res mainly western classical acoustic music.
And the differences I hear are not in favour of the unit supplied with my Qutest.
The battery powered one sounds calmer/cleaner and purer,and simply better than the supplied one and I am happy I have got it because to me it takes Q/HMS one notch higher and closer to the real reference with my acoustic music.
Cheers Controversial Christer

As far as I'm concerned, there is no restriction on Chord's part on the use of PSU for Qutest. However they made it very clear on the manual of the Hugo M Scaler that warranty will be voided should any other PSU other than the supplied one be used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back