Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Jul 23, 2020 at 5:21 AM Post #15,421 of 18,850
Is it possible to connect poly to your phone wifi network (phone in tethering mode) and stream Tidal to poly ?
I have owned and used Poly for 3 weeks now. I was initially confused by Poly’s hot spot mode and wondered how I can stream Qobuz or Tidal on the go if my phone connects to Poly as a router but without internet connection. poly’s hot spot mode appears to serve the sole purpose of playing back music in the SD card on the go. Later on I realized that in the opposite by turning on my phone‘s hot spot and letting Poly connect to it can not only stream Qobuz from the phone app to Poly, but also create/maintain the uPnP/DLNA connection so that I can play back high res files stored in the SD card in Poly, without switching modes in GoFigure app. It works perfectly and stably, so now I wonder why bother to use Poly’s hot spot mode. Therefore, what you asked is absolutely the way to go. Happy listening :)

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #15,422 of 18,850
Hi Mike. You are absolutely correct. We did internally update the MPD version in Poly last year but it resulted in introducing more bugs than it fixed so we decided to wait. It is still the plan to update Poly with a newer MPD version and combine the feedback we have received from 2Go into the streaming code for both products. Before anyone asks though I am not going to give out any timescales at the moment until we see how the Covid situation is easing.
Hi Mike. You are absolutely correct. We did internally update the MPD version in Poly last year but it resulted in introducing more bugs than it fixed so we decided to wait. It is still the plan to update Poly with a newer MPD version and combine the feedback we have received from 2Go into the streaming code for both products. Before anyone asks though I am not going to give out any timescales at the moment until we see how the Covid situation is easing.

Look forward to the next update to the MPD server. This is the only thing that I cannot get it work properly in Poly, all album art works and other metadata are messed up.

Matt, other than updating Chord’s proprietary MPD server, is it possible to allow MinimServer to be installed and run in Poly? Before I had Roon for my main system at home, I ran MinimServer on the NAS to index, manage, and playback my music library, and use Glider as a client end control. If MinimServer can be used in Poly, all problems would be resolved. Thanks.

Jul 23, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #15,423 of 18,850
I have owned and used Poly for 3 weeks now. I was initially confused by Poly’s hot spot mode and wondered how I can stream Qobuz or Tidal on the go if my phone connects to Poly as a router but without internet connection. poly’s hot spot mode appears to serve the sole purpose of playing back music in the SD card on the go. Later on I realized that in the opposite by turning on my phone‘s hot spot and letting Poly connect to it can not only stream Qobuz from the phone app to Poly, but also create/maintain the uPnP/DLNA connection so that I can play back high res files stored in the SD card in Poly, without switching modes in GoFigure app. It works perfectly and stably, so now I wonder why bother to use Poly’s hot spot mode. Therefore, what you asked is absolutely the way to go. Happy listening :)
So basically the best way is just to setup polly to connect to your home wifi network when you are at home. And as second network your best option is to add your phone wifi tethering network.
And as you go with your poly outside, the only thing that you need to do is turn on a wifi on your phone. Poly will automatically switch the network and you are ready to go
That looks like a neat solution.
Anyway I'm still looking for a good offer for used poly and just considering buying it. Currently I'm using Shanling M0 as a transport with my mojo and I'm pretty happy with its LDAC BT connection.

Last edited:
Jul 23, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #15,424 of 18,850
So basically the best way is just to setup polly to connect to your home wifi network when you are at home. And as second network your best option is to add your phone wifi tethering network.
And as you go with your poly outside, the only thing that you need to do is turn on a wifi on your phone. Poly will automatically switch the network and you are ready to go
That looks like a neat solution.
Anyway I'm still looking for a good offer for used poly and just considering buying it. Currently I'm using Shanling M0 as a transport with my mojo and I'm pretty happy with its LDAC BT connection.

Yes, what you summarized above is what my understanding and preference so far. It is less confusing too.

The only scenario in which Poly’s hot spot mode may work better is when you are on a plane and have to put the phone to Airplane mode, under which I cannot turn on tethering on my iPhone (not sure about Android phone).

Phone tethering may still cost additional $ with some carriers, so probably not everyone has tethering feature on the phone. If this is the case for some, there is a work around that the phone can still connect to Poly’s hot spot, but simultaneously maintain its own internet connection. The YouTube video below explains this setting very well.

Jul 24, 2020 at 11:53 AM Post #15,425 of 18,850
Yes, what you summarized above is what my understanding and preference so far. It is less confusing too.

The only scenario in which Poly’s hot spot mode may work better is when you are on a plane and have to put the phone to Airplane mode, under which I cannot turn on tethering on my iPhone (not sure about Android phone).

Phone tethering may still cost additional $ with some carriers, so probably not everyone has tethering feature on the phone. If this is the case for some, there is a work around that the phone can still connect to Poly’s hot spot, but simultaneously maintain its own internet connection. The YouTube video below explains this setting very well.

If you are on an airplane, and have to switch off wifi, you can still use bluetooth to control the poly, and play playlists of the SD card.

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #15,426 of 18,850
How is the Poly + Mojo supposed to sound? I read that the Mojo should be warm sounding with a bit of a treble roll off.

However my Mojo sounds harsher and the bass is lighter with the AFC 2 than the Hugo 2.

Is the Mojo with the Poly supposed to sound like this?

I am thinking of buying a new Mojo if my Mojo doesn’t sound like it is supposed to (it is out of warranty).

Jul 24, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #15,427 of 18,850
If you are moving down from H2 to mojo. Well... don’t expect it to sound good. I always enjoyed my mojo/poly until H2go came along... now I may sell or keep as an emergency backup kit. It’s form factor is hard to beat.... but maby a dragonfly would be the better back at this stage.

Jul 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM Post #15,429 of 18,850
Last edited:
Jul 24, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #15,430 of 18,850
How is the Poly + Mojo supposed to sound? I read that the Mojo should be warm sounding with a bit of a treble roll off.

However my Mojo sounds harsher and the bass is lighter with the AFC 2 than the Hugo 2.

Is the Mojo with the Poly supposed to sound like this?

I am thinking of buying a new Mojo if my Mojo doesn’t sound like it is supposed to (it is out of warranty).

How are you feeding Mojo? I never find it harsh, even with the A2C’s amazing level of detail (no filters) fed from Poly. Personally, I preferred Mojo to Hugo2 and I get as much enjoyment from the combo for portable use as I do from TT2 and Heddphone. Sometimes more because I’m not confined to one spot!

Jul 24, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #15,431 of 18,850
The bluetooth is only controlling the playlists on the poly.
The music is not transmitted via bluetooth.

Search the thread using the term 'airplane' and there are many posts on the topic.
For example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/post-15114830
I’ve actually found creating an album as a playlist, then using GoFigure’s playlist playback (controller by Bluetooth) to be the handiest way of controlling playback so far. I get less lag and better stability than when using Rigelian and WiFi (either hotspot or network).

Jul 25, 2020 at 12:56 AM Post #15,432 of 18,850
How are you feeding Mojo? I never find it harsh, even with the A2C’s amazing level of detail (no filters) fed from Poly. Personally, I preferred Mojo to Hugo2 and I get as much enjoyment from the combo for portable use as I do from TT2 and Heddphone. Sometimes more because I’m not confined to one spot!

I see. I am feeding it with the Poly.

Maybe there is indeed something wrong with my Mojo then. I will try to get an other Mojo and see if it sounds the same as mine. If not, then I suppose I have to buy a new Mojo.

Jul 25, 2020 at 11:25 AM Post #15,433 of 18,850
I see. I am feeding it with the Poly.

Maybe there is indeed something wrong with my Mojo then. I will try to get an other Mojo and see if it sounds the same as mine. If not, then I suppose I have to buy a new Mojo.

Also, try the other hp jack. One of my jacks has an intermittent connection now, so I don’t use it.

Jul 25, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #15,434 of 18,850
I've now got all my music in Roon. I'm wanting to copy playlists to my microSD card to play 'offline' using quickplay on my Poly/Mojo.
I can export a playlist from roon to the SD, but it won't play on the poly without moving the mpd file to the root and editing each line of the playlist file to remove the first part of the file path.. Is there an easy way to get my Roon playlists on to my Poly, or is there anything like Dapper that will work with Roon?

Cheers.

Jul 25, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #15,435 of 18,850
The bluetooth is only controlling the playlists on the poly.
The music is not transmitted via bluetooth.

Search the thread using the term 'airplane' and there are many posts on the topic.
For example:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-☆-poly-☆-wireless-microsd-module-for-mojo-☆★►useful-info-on-1st-page-◄★☆.831347/post-15114830

Got it, very good point, it makes perfect sense, thank you. So in which scenario Poly’s Hot Spot mode would be in its best use?

As far as playing back from the SD card, I would love to make an identical copy of my Roon library (music library, playlists, favorites, etc.) to the SD card and control via Glider. However, I tested it by an album in FLAC format and an album in AIFF. All metadata in the AIFF album was completely not recognized by Poly’s MPD, but the FLAC album works fine (except for a wrong album artwork, not sure if it comes from Glider). All metadata are embedded in each of my music files (I used Metadastics app to edit metadata before I import albums in my library on a NAS that runs Roon). When I run MinimServer on the NAS and use Glider on the control end, all metadata works fine. I am not sure why the AIFF format doesn’t work with the Poly MPD + Glider. I do not know much about MPD, is there any good article or YouTube video out there that explains step by step on how to set up the SD card playback on Poly?
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back