Chord Electronics ☆ Poly ☆ (wireless & microSD module for Mojo) ☆★►USEFUL INFO on 1st PAGE!!◄★☆
Apr 22, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #13,126 of 18,757
Why would we think 2Go would have improved performance, especially if it leverages the same hardware/software that Chord has spent all this time developing and fine tuning? It may (should) have more inputs, like Ethernet, and ideally even some outputs for use with other DACs besides Hugo2 (TT2 and non-Chord), but I expect it would sound the same (excellent).

Ahhhh, of course. This is an audiopile forum, so of course many would equate the word "performance" in relation strictly to sound. I should have been more clear.

I'm really talking about performance of the hardware around areas "outside" of audio sound quality.

The circuit board, I imagine, will retain the same 10-layer design that Chord used in the Poly, but will have more surface area, so by performance, I mean maybe a better general CPU, perhaps a bit more RAM to handle more (textual) data simultaneously, a larger ROM to perhaps have additional MPD features....things that might have an effect on MPD performance. Perhaps larger BT or WiFi chipsets that may have improved connectivity/throughput, or being more responsive to GoFigure, or perhaps better TCP/IP handling, or maybe WiFi 5gHz capability (Poly is 2.4gHz only), etc.

These are all things that are not "problems" necessarily with the Poly, but would be improvements to the overall "experience" of using GoFigure with a new Chord streamer. Given that opening GoFigure means first waiting for the app to find the Poly, and then waiting for the QuickPlay playlists to load, and of course, having no access to songs/albums/artist/genre, just makes me wonder what a larger streamer like the 2Go photos indicate, plus the longer time Chord has had to work on the 2Go before release, might mean in terms of performance improvements.

I would not contemplate, or expect, any "performance improvement" in sound through upgraded streamer related components. Sound reproduction is not the Poly's or 2Go's job.

---

Nice, just have a little budget set aside since the tax hit, while bad, was anticipated since last year, so I have a bit of reserve next month. Crossing fingers.

---

This photo of a prototype posted at the time of CES 2018 shows an ethernet socket, so I hope that the production version has retained it.

Ethernet would be awesome. I have a NAS in the office, and a Stereo at the bar, with PLC/ethernet running between the two locations, so being to run a 2Go/H2 combo at the bar and into my stereo would be very nice. Had been thinking about getting either a Mytel Brooklyn Bridge to handle the bar area, but placing a 2go/h2 there instead would be a great option.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 2:51 PM Post #13,127 of 18,757
Ahhhh, of course. This is an audiopile forum, so of course many would equate the word "performance" in relation strictly to sound. I should have been more clear.

I'm really talking about performance of the hardware around areas "outside" of audio sound quality.

The circuit board, I imagine, will retain the same 10-layer design that Chord used in the Poly, but will have more surface area, so by performance, I mean maybe a better general CPU, perhaps a bit more RAM to handle more (textual) data simultaneously, a larger ROM to perhaps have additional MPD features....things that might have an effect on MPD performance. Perhaps larger BT or WiFi chipsets that may have improved connectivity/throughput, or being more responsive to GoFigure, or perhaps better TCP/IP handling, or maybe WiFi 5gHz capability (Poly is 2.4gHz only), etc.

These are all things that are not "problems" necessarily with the Poly, but would be improvements to the overall "experience" of using GoFigure with a new Chord streamer. Given that opening GoFigure means first waiting for the app to find the Poly, and then waiting for the QuickPlay playlists to load, and of course, having no access to songs/albums/artist/genre, just makes me wonder what a larger streamer like the 2Go photos indicate, plus the longer time Chord has had to work on the 2Go before release, might mean in terms of performance improvements.

I would not contemplate, or expect, any "performance improvement" in sound through upgraded streamer related components. Sound reproduction is not the Poly's or 2Go's job.

---

Nice, just have a little budget set aside since the tax hit, while bad, was anticipated since last year, so I have a bit of reserve next month. Crossing fingers.

---

Ethernet would be awesome. I have a NAS in the office, and a Stereo at the bar, with PLC/ethernet running between the two locations, so being to run a 2Go/H2 combo at the bar and into my stereo would be very nice. Had been thinking about getting either a Mytel Brooklyn Bridge to handle the bar area, but placing a 2go/h2 there instead would be a great option.
The slow data throughput is nothing to do with Poly's server(s) capabilities and everything to do with the fact that it utilises BLE for this and not full-fat Bluetooth

Apr 22, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #13,128 of 18,757
The slow data throughput is nothing to do with Poly's server(s) capabilities and everything to do with the fact that it utilises BLE for this and not full-fat Bluetooth

That’s kind of why my first comment in this little series was wondering about BT, and really only lead to other components to describe what I meant by “performance” as not being related to sound quality.

Apr 22, 2019 at 5:05 PM Post #13,129 of 18,757

---

---

Thanks for clarifying. I still doubt Chord would use anything other that the exact circuit board they have designed already. We don’t know anything about the specs and possible limitations/benefits of changing them. But there could be room for more advanced Bluetooth or WiFi modules, depending how they were implemented. Or desktop mode like Hugo2, for (hopeful) use with desktop DACs or H2 in desktop mode.

Apr 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #13,130 of 18,757
Thanks for clarifying. I still doubt Chord would use anything other that the exact circuit board they have designed already. We don’t know anything about the specs and possible limitations/benefits of changing them. But there could be room for more advanced Bluetooth or WiFi modules, depending how they were implemented. Or desktop mode like Hugo2, for (hopeful) use with desktop DACs or H2 in desktop mode.

You could be right, but the 10 layer board in the poly is tiny. Seems an awful waste of space for the larger 2go form factor to re-use the same board. Hopefully, since there is more space in the 2go (at least from photos, seems the 2go is much bigger than the poly), hopefully, hw components will do better, and more rom/ram for more robust SW and better connection protocols.... that’s really all I meant by my initial comment.

Either way, i’m pretty excited about a possible 2go release soon.

Apr 23, 2019 at 2:37 AM Post #13,131 of 18,757
What advantage would using ethernet on 2go have as opposed to a usb/optical source streaming music?

Apr 23, 2019 at 4:25 AM Post #13,133 of 18,757
What exactly is this ‘2Go’ all about? I’ve seen it mentioned a fair bit in this thread.

Edit: Seems I found out after a quick Google search. A Poly-esque attachment for the Hugo 2. I’d like a desktop Chord product, but I can’t afford it now. Sad times.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 8:24 PM Post #13,134 of 18,757
Trying to update to 2.0 and nothing happens after step 4. All good up to that, the Poly is connected to a wireless router that works well but after pressing update in GoFigure, it switches off and Poly does nothing. Both lights stay white, no change in colour. I have done a factory reset already, no change... What can I do?

PS: I turned the Poly off again, waited for the blue light to go off and then disconnected from the Mojo. Plugged them both back and after turning the Mojo on, it started upgrading without me going through GoFigure. Go figure! :)

Now waiting for the slow download to complete. What's the size of the firmware?

PSS: after about two hours firmware upgrade complete. So make sure you're patient with this...

OK, last edit, promise... Could someone point me to a tutorial on using Tidal with Poly, now that I can log in on it? Can play with BubbleUPNP of course, but I would have thought that finally Tidal works straight from GoFigure without the need for additional software. I'm on Android.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 3:38 AM Post #13,135 of 18,757
Hello,
I've some questions about SDCard playback and 2.0.0 Firmware.

1°/ Is it able to manage large library (400GB) without latency ?
2°/ I heard possibility to explore the library by playlist with GoFigure App. But is it possible to sort the library by artist ?
3°/ Which iOS App do you use to explore the SDCard ?

Thank you :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:58 AM Post #13,136 of 18,757
Hello,
I've some questions about SDCard playback and 2.0.0 Firmware.

1°/ Is it able to manage large library (400GB) without latency ?
2°/ I heard possibility to explore the library by playlist with GoFigure App. But is it possible to sort the library by artist ?
3°/ Which iOS App do you use to explore the SDCard ?

Thank you :)
1) Yep. Use 400GB card myself. One issue is it takes quite some time to rebuild if you add/remove anything. Other than that it's golden.
2) Using GoFigure you can trigger playback of MPD playlists - while useful (eg if you want to turn WiFi off) it's pretty rudimentary (it's named "Quick Play" for a reason) and is not about exploring the contents of the SD card in any way.
3) Someone else should chime in as I'm on Android (and use an MPD app M.A.L.P) but try out any DLNA and/or MPD app.

Apr 24, 2019 at 12:20 PM Post #13,137 of 18,757
1) Unsure what you mean by manage a large library without latency?
There is no 'max' size for an sd card other than what is available (currently 1Tb if feeling wealthy) Once it has scanned the contents in Go Figure (512 card takes around 10 mins if full)
I use 8 PlayerPro, and it is fast, accurate and easy to find stuff. It loads in seconds first time then just works until the card is swapped out for whatebver reason.Swapping tracks is easy and quick.
2) No - thats the job of whatever playback app you choose. It just does the MPD Playlists.
3)As above - 8Player Pro is my go to now. 'Glider' used to be good, but not been updated recently and is currently beset with issues as far as I am concerned. Shame, as it was an OK app.
For sure there will be many others, I just like to get to know one well.

This is for iOS by the way.

Apr 24, 2019 at 1:30 PM Post #13,138 of 18,757
1) Unsure what you mean by manage a large library without latency?
There is no 'max' size for an sd card other than what is available (currently 1Tb if feeling wealthy) Once it has scanned the contents in Go Figure (512 card takes around 10 mins if full)
I use 8 PlayerPro, and it is fast, accurate and easy to find stuff. It loads in seconds first time then just works until the card is swapped out for whatebver reason.Swapping tracks is easy and quick.
2) No - thats the job of whatever playback app you choose. It just does the MPD Playlists.
3)As above - 8Player Pro is my go to now. 'Glider' used to be good, but not been updated recently and is currently beset with issues as far as I am concerned. Shame, as it was an OK app.
For sure there will be many others, I just like to get to know one well.

This is for iOS by the way.
The max size for a sd card is 2Tb (defined in the sd card standard), and quoted by Chord.
However it is true that this is a bit academic, until 2Tb cards become available to the general public, at reasonable prices.

Apr 24, 2019 at 3:51 PM Post #13,139 of 18,757
The max size for a sd card is 2Tb (defined in the sd card standard), and quoted by Chord.
However it is true that this is a bit academic, until 2Tb cards become available to the general public, at reasonable prices.
I agree, utterly currently academic, but Chord do say on their site that :- "its unlimited-capacity Micro SD card slot can house huge libraries and liberate storage on smart devices." Perhaps that needs to be clarified. But then, 2 TB of tunes on a mobile device is still one or two more bits of music than I personally will probably ever need :)

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #13,140 of 18,757
I agree, utterly currently academic, but Chord do say on their site that :- "its unlimited-capacity Micro SD card slot can house huge libraries and liberate storage on smart devices." Perhaps that needs to be clarified. But then, 2 TB of tunes on a mobile device is still one or two more bits of music than I personally will probably ever need :)
Chord have posted about the 2 TB limit, but my search tonight could not find the post.
For most owners 2 TB will represent unlimited storage, because until recently many people could have stored all their music collection on a NAS with less than 2 TB.
If the Chord total rewrite of the Poly firmware, means that it can now use cards larger than 2 TB, then that would mean a proprietary means of handling sd card data.
Given that the sd standard limits card size to 2 TB, there would be no business driver for manufacturers to produce cards that were 2+ TB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back