Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Nov 22, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #4,981 of 7,153
Nov 23, 2018 at 1:51 AM Post #4,982 of 7,153
EDIT: This is in regards to the ISK MDH9000 clones.
One guy was able to 'fix' the broken hinge with electrical tape. Perhaps it would be a good idea to pre-wrap both of your hinges with electrical tape now, to strengthen/reinforce them and hopefully prevent them from breaking in the 1st place? That's certainly what I would do if I owned a pair of these, especially since when the hinge breaks the wiring often rips out too (making repair even more difficult or impossible).
I have a question.
This might be a stupid question, so bear with me.
Would adding electrical tape to that point really prevent the headphones from breaking?
I looked at my headphones, at that point, and it doesn't look like it to me.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 12:35 PM Post #4,983 of 7,153
EDIT: This is in regards to the ISK MDH9000 clones.

I have a question.
This might be a stupid question, so bear with me.
Would adding electrical tape to that point really prevent the headphones from breaking?
I looked at my headphones, at that point, and it doesn't look like it to me.

No, tape will do absolutely nothing. This is because the hinges break from within. I have photos somewhere that can show the design flaw with the hinges.

Basically, the plastic is brittle and the internal screw mounts shear off.

There’s actually 2 design flaws. The 1st is that the cups fold, but they don’t fold 100%. They only fold about 80%. It seems like they can fold more because there’s like another inch of room. People try to fold it all the way, and it flexes and snaps the hinges. Or it is folded up in a backpack or gym bag, and bumps around causing the flexing and resulting snapping.

The 2nd design flaw is the brittle plastic I mentioned, and the way it causes the screw mounts to shear off.

Anyways, I came up with a bulletproof reinforcement solution. But it requires reinforcement BEFORE it breaks. Basically, do it as soon as you get the headphones and you’ll never have a problem.

You take apart the hinges and reinforce the inside hollow cavity with plastic epoxy, in effect making the hinges totally solid.

I have photos of the process; I just never came up with a How2 guide. The ISK clones were a big thing a year ago, then kinda totally fell off the radar screen so I didn’t think anyone was really interested.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #4,984 of 7,153
This is a heavenly combo.... ZX1 balanced on the Fiio M9....

IMAG2592.jpg

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:26 PM Post #4,985 of 7,153
No, tape will do absolutely nothing. This is because the hinges break from within. I have photos somewhere that can show the design flaw with the hinges.

Basically, the plastic is brittle and the internal screw mounts shear off.

There’s actually 2 design flaws. The 1st is that the cups fold, but they don’t fold 100%. They only fold about 80%. It seems like they can fold more because there’s like another inch of room. People try to fold it all the way, and it flexes and snaps the hinges. Or it is folded up in a backpack or gym bag, and bumps around causing the flexing and resulting snapping.

The 2nd design flaw is the brittle plastic I mentioned, and the way it causes the screw mounts to shear off.

Anyways, I came up with a bulletproof reinforcement solution. But it requires reinforcement BEFORE it breaks. Basically, do it as soon as you get the headphones and you’ll never have a problem.

You take apart the hinges and reinforce the inside hollow cavity with plastic epoxy, in effect making the hinges totally solid.

I have photos of the process; I just never came up with a How2 guide. The ISK clones were a big thing a year ago, then kinda totally fell off the radar screen so I didn’t think anyone was really interested.
Im interested. I have my Akai FiddyX project I need to finish and when I get around to it I may as well address the hinge problem. Once I finish it I'm just going to wind up selling it or giving it away, and I would feel better if I didn't send it back out into the world with a known failure point. I have an idea for making them stronger that I suspect is similar to what you came up with.

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:36 PM Post #4,987 of 7,153
This is a heavenly combo.... ZX1 balanced on the Fiio M9....

Was it difficult to change the plug?

Wait...did you actually take it all apart and change the whole cable? If you did I hope you took photos.

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 3:39 PM Post #4,988 of 7,153
I’m still curious about sound sig of ZX1 as compared to the Fidelio X1 or X2 or some some other better known headphone. I’ve heard at least a couple of people talk about the elevated bass...

Nov 23, 2018 at 3:46 PM Post #4,989 of 7,153
It is not that it is elevated..just that it goes deep and has texture. It is not boomy or bloated to me. I hear it as very natural..For example drums sound real.

I’m still curious about sound sig of ZX1 as compared to the Fidelio X1 or X2 or some some other better known headphone. I’ve heard at least a couple of people talk about the elevated bass...

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2018 at 4:35 PM Post #4,990 of 7,153
Was it difficult to change the plug?

Wait...did you actually take it all apart and change the whole cable? If you did I hope you took photos.

Yes i took it apart...
But nothing special the driver is itself is glued in the plastic housing so nothing more to see than the last picture I have sent.

Initially I thought i only have to change the plug but unfortunately the negative was common in the y splitter.

Nov 23, 2018 at 4:39 PM Post #4,991 of 7,153

This is what is wrong with this thread. This is fun and a great source for finding new stuff but stuff really gets lost here. It's a race from fotm to another. People should do more dedicated threads. There is a general takstar thread, pro82 thread, a lot of superlux threads and msur thread. There is no (active) thread for mhp2 clones, bosshifi b8 or zx1 etc

It would be a lot easier to look for information months/years later.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 12:30 PM Post #4,993 of 7,153
Well I just got back in from my vacation. I need a vacation from my vacation. That being said, I had a few new goodies waiting for me. One of which is the ZX1s that I ordered in 11/11. The MSUR N650 aren't here yet though. I did also have a replacement for a steel series 9h gaming headset, and another CB3 hush (as a gift). I am also suppose to get in a pair of the denon 5000's as well today too.

That being said, getting an initial listen to the ZX1 and WOW!!! If these have the same drivers as the M2 then I don't know what they did to kick up the bass. It's definitely present. I can feel a nice pleasing rumble with bass heavy tracks that is actually physically present. Meaning the M2s I HEARD bass, but didn't feel bass. These I can feel bass with. They aren't the bassiest headphones I own at all. They aren't shaking my ears off, but they overall sound is very nicely balanced.

However, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THIS CRAPPIEST HEADSTRAP IN THE WORLD!!!!! It really doesn't take a prophet to realize that this barely attached headstrap is going to be ripped off one day soon. Knowing my kids. Overall the build besides the headstrap is not that bad. It's a single steel wire that makes up the band of the headband. It is plenty durable feeling. The cups are nice and the cable is nice for an attached cable. I would prefer it to be a detachable cable though. I may look to mod it in the future if I get the chance. This one and about 2 dozen other ones. Comfort wise they are nice, but the foam pads are so large they touch my cheek bones and press against them. It doesnt hurt so far, but I can see that maybe getting irritating in the future. The pads aren't detachable either which is a shame. Well they aren't easily detachable at least.

Nov 24, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #4,994 of 7,153
However, FOR THE LOVE OF EVERYTHING WHAT THE HECK IS WITH THIS CRAPPIEST HEADSTRAP IN THE WORLD!!!!! It really doesn't take a prophet to realize that this barely attached headstrap is going to be ripped off one day soon

I think it would be easy to repair the strap if/when that happens. I did wonder if it would fit you because you have often said that you have a giant head :)

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:05 PM Post #4,995 of 7,153
for zx1 owners here, what is the soundstage of the zx1 compares to? is it like the fidelios x2?
Haven't tried the Fidelio but the soundstage of the ZX1 is amazing.

Another ZX1 question, has anyone used them with glasses? Is seal/bass affected? Thanks
Yes, they go great with glasses. No pressure on the glasses or ears at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back