Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:10 PM Post #4,711 of 7,153
Wow, I hated my A1 Pro. They had good build quality (tough nylon plastic), but sounded dark and distant. Maybe my hopes for then were too high, as I have 2 sets of A5 Pro so I was kinda expecting a similar sound.

The KEF M500 are my favorite (true) on-ears by far. They sound amazing, and are very comfortable to boot!

I like them for the use case I have for on-ears. Ultra portables to me are for working out with. When working out I like high energy thumping music. I can't stand in-ears for working out since I sweat like crazy inside my ears with them. I've literally shorted out a few in-ears and ear-buds in my days. Nothing like getting zapped from an electric shock inside your ear-canal from that.

I like the KEF, but they don't exactly stay on your ears that well with their pad design. They are good sounding headphones too at least. That being said, for pure musical enjoyment, I wouldn't use any on-ear though. They are a specific use case for me. Working out, mowing the lawn, or something along those lines.

I remember reading it as a bit more nuanced than that: positive with asterisks, or within some price range or expectation, maybe. But could be my memory. :)

Yep that's about right. I liked them better, but wouldn't call any of them my favorites :) if I was listing them on general comparison, Grado SR80 would be 5 out of 10, M1 would be 5.1 out of 10 and M2 would be 5.5 out of ten. Better but nothing to make anyone really go OMG I must buy that!

Speaking of OMG must buy that, right now my OMG must buy that recommendation to anyone is the 99 flavors liquor. I know it's off topic, but the butterscotch and whipped flavors I have in my drink right now are ridiculously good :) nice to have while listening to music on your favorite headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 4:13 PM Post #4,712 of 7,153
I recently bought those about 4 months ago. They were cheap for like $15. Sound pretty bad. Only kept them to use as my own DIY headphone later. Either to practice tuning on, or a complete driver swap. They weren't called esmooth though. They were called Groove AudioLUX

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07B8W29ZR
yep. There are many around. Different drivers, cables, tuning inside the cups is the key. Not many remember how meze evolved from esmooth oem housing 3662813bf6a023371bc613342094024f.jpg
To their own design homepage-99c-wg.png
And finally to $4000 planar
empyrean_01.png

Oct 20, 2018 at 4:16 PM Post #4,713 of 7,153
I like them for the use case I have for on-ears. Ultra portables for working on. High energy thumping music. I can't stand in-ears for working out since I sweat like crazy inside my ears with them. I've literally shorted out a few in-ears and ear-buds in my days. Nothing like getting zapped from an electric shock inside your ear-canal from that.

I like the KEF, but they don't exactly stay on your ears that well with their pad design. They are good sounding headphones too at least. That being said, for pure musical enjoyment, I wouldn't use any on-ear though. They are a specific use case for me. Working out, mowing the lawn, or something along those lines.

Yeah, good point. For working out or mowing the lawn, I have a much lower threshold of sound quality. The A1 are tough as nails, and comfy.

I would not work out or do yard work with the KEF. They are too good looking, and the pads aren’t universal/replaceable.

Oct 20, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #4,714 of 7,153
Oct 20, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #4,716 of 7,153
Oct 20, 2018 at 7:10 PM Post #4,717 of 7,153
Wow, we had those EXACT coasters growing up! I haven't seen my parents use them in at least 30 years. I'll have to ask them if they have them packaged away somewhere :wink:

These are the coasters I remember growing up:

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:22 PM Post #4,718 of 7,153
The good news is... the OKCSC ZX1 is in!

The bad news is... they're so so hideous! :p

Man, be thankful. My ZX1 um... interesting looking set is on a boat lost somewhere in the Pacific.

I did get a set of AKG M220s in the mail today. Couldn't pass up the $35 deal and they're still Chi-fi even if not an Asian brand. They're actually pretty darn good through my Fulla2, though the pads are awful and need replacing soooon.

Oct 20, 2018 at 8:37 PM Post #4,721 of 7,153
Yeah, just being dramatic because they left China 6 days ago and haven't had any updates since. No big deal, except that I'm curious about their sound!

Yeah, I didn't get any tracking for several days and then they appeared. Took ten days I think but might take a little longer to reach you.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #4,723 of 7,153
Interesting fact:
According to a French blogger, the OKCSC M1 uses the same drivers as Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless

Whoah, that’s interesting. That sort of tempers my enthusiasm for getting the Studio 2.0 Wireless, lol.

Oct 21, 2018 at 12:05 PM Post #4,724 of 7,153
Interesting fact:
According to a French blogger, the OKCSC M1 uses the same drivers as Beats Studio 2.0 Wireless
wow you mean I might actually like Beats 2.0?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back