Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)
May 5, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #3,632 of 7,153
Wow, I wish I was your neighbor. You could make me one of those sheepskin things for my Shure 1540. The headband bothers me a little (not horribly) and that would be sweet! So you look for leather at thrift stores.

I put one of those knitted covers on and it helps a little and at least protects the flimsy little pads on the band but more padding would be better... something to make the double headband into one. The snap on Beyer ones do not fit. It is such a pretty headphone that I would not want to do anything to make it look ugly.

74.jpg

Yeah, I use it (and other materials from thrift stores) to make cosplay/Halloween costumes/props for my daughter, as well as leather goods for myself.

The thrift one store I go to usually has brand new looking leather and buttery soft sheepskin coats for $6-$10, and on Saturdays everything is 50% off. I've even gotten lucky and even found full leather trenchcoats. It's full top-grain leather stuff too, not cheap crappy bonded leather like you see nowadays. It would be ridiculously expensive to buy this quality of material from a leather place. You can't even buy a decent pack of sewing needles for those thrift store prices, much less yards of high grade leather/sheepskin!

I'd like to make a few pairs of sheepskin earpads as well, possibly a hybrid pair like the HM5 oval hybrids (only with sheepskin instead of pleather).

Last edited:
May 5, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #3,633 of 7,153
Yeah, I use it (and other materials from thrift stores) to make cosplay/Halloween costumes/props for my daughter, as well as leather goods for myself.

The thrift one store I go to usually has brand new looking leather and buttery soft sheepskin coats for $6-$10, and on Saturdays everything is 50% off. I've even gotten lucky and even found full leather trenchcoats. It's full top-grain leather stuff too, not cheap crappy bonded leather like you see nowadays. It would be ridiculously expensive to buy this quality of material from a leather place. You can't even buy a decent pack of sewing needles for those thrift store prices, much less yards of high grade leather/sheepskin!

I'd like to make a few pairs of sheepskin earpads as well, possibly a hybrid pair like the HM5 oval hybrids (only with sheepskin instead of pleather).

wait--sheepskin EARPADS?

(stunned silence)

wouldn't even the thinnest earpads become massively wide & deep if leather/pleather was replaced with sheepskin? (or if hybrid, just deep?)

I've read some bizarre ideas here. this is one of them!

May 5, 2018 at 3:23 PM Post #3,634 of 7,153
The thrift one store I go to usually has brand new looking leather and buttery soft sheepskin coats for $6-$10, and on Saturdays everything is 50% off. I've even gotten lucky and even found full leather trenchcoats. It's full top-grain leather stuff too,

So, have you found any that you could wear? On your body, not your ears?

May 5, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #3,635 of 7,153
I want to mention this headset long time ago but i forgot and just remembered recently, its technically a gaming headset, but with a new technology I still havent heard of in any headphones on the market called m.o.c.i which is explained further in the link.

http://technologynews.site/2018/01/27/bloody-m510-and-m550-headphones-with-hybrid-membranes-m-o-c-i/

also on the bloody website

https://www.bloody.com/en/product.php?pid=10&id=178

The looks department is very familiar btw.
however, bloody/a4tech didn't actually made it, they just rebranded it, from what I know the oem is by shuangfei.

May 5, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #3,636 of 7,153
wait--sheepskin EARPADS?

(stunned silence)

wouldn't even the thinnest earpads become massively wide & deep if leather/pleather was replaced with sheepskin? (or if hybrid, just deep?)

I've read some bizarre ideas here. this is one of them!

Lots of headphones use sheepskin earpads - Mr. Speakers Alpha pads, Sennheiser Momemtum, Ora Graphene, ZMF Ori, B&W P5, Brainwavz and Dekoni Sheepskin pads, and many many others.

They are like wearing buttery smooth clouds on your head. No hotness or sticky feeling you get with protein leather, excellent sound, etc. Plus they are easy to clean, and basically never wear out or fall apart like protein leather.

Sheepskin leather is extremely thin and ridiculously soft - basically as thin as the protein leather material used in most pads. It's not like cowhide leather, which is often thicker and usually stiffer.

May 5, 2018 at 3:34 PM Post #3,637 of 7,153
So, have you found any that you could wear? On your body, not your ears?

Absolutely, I have 3-4 I wear. The ratio of women's to men's leather coats at the thrift stores is 25:1 though, so that plays a big factor into how many I get for wearing vs using as raw materials for making other stuff.

May 5, 2018 at 3:55 PM Post #3,638 of 7,153
Lots of headphones use sheepskin earpads - Mr. Speakers Alpha pads, Sennheiser Momemtum, Ora Graphene, ZMF Ori, B&W P5, Brainwavz and Dekoni Sheepskin pads, and many many others.

They are like wearing buttery smooth clouds on your head. No hotness or sticky feeling you get with protein leather, excellent sound, etc. Plus they are easy to clean, and basically never wear out or fall apart like protein leather.

Sheepskin leather is extremely thin and ridiculously soft - basically as thin as the protein leather material used in most pads. It's not like cowhide leather, which is often thicker and usually stiffer.

omigod, this is embarrassing. when i read sheepskin, I pictured the inside of a sheepskin coat (see below). Obviously I need a ginko beloba soak...

shopping.jpg

May 5, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #3,640 of 7,153
Lol I have Brainwavz Sheepskin rounds on my LyxPro and Ovals on the 99C. Love them.

I have the Brainwavz sheepskin pads (gift from another Head-Fi'er). I tend to forget about them because large, very angled/deep, and tend to not improve the sound of headphones that aren't designed for angled/deep pads (the woes of pad-swapping).

I'm kinda surprised these would sound good on the Meze (stock pads for that are not angled or very deep). What were the sonic changes you got w/the sheepskins vs stock?

May 5, 2018 at 4:57 PM Post #3,641 of 7,153
I have the Brainwavz sheepskin pads (gift from another Head-Fi'er). I tend to forget about them because large, very angled/deep, and tend to not improve the sound of headphones that aren't designed for angled/deep pads (the woes of pad-swapping).

I'm kinda surprised these would sound good on the Meze (stock pads for that are not angled or very deep). What were the sonic changes you got w/the sheepskins vs stock?
I apparently have first revision pads, so they are really shallow. I actually mainly found the stock pads to be boomy compared to the SS. That seems to be opposite of what others hear lol. I'm also running them balanced with a custom cable from Triton Audio

May 6, 2018 at 3:37 AM Post #3,642 of 7,153
Someone said in the Msur-topic that they dont isolate but i have to disagree, when i start playing music on moderate or even slightly higher volume and press the earcups together sound leakage is very minimal.
That is good news. While ago I upgraded my portable headphones and did not consider n350 because sound leakage issue. I ended up with kef m500 as my on the go headphones. Only thing wrong with them is that they are not made of wood :D

May 6, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #3,643 of 7,153
I ended up with kef m500 as my on the go headphones. Only thing wrong with them is that they are not made of wood :D

The Kef M500 is the only on-ear that I find very comfortable. My B&W P5 series2 are also fairly comfortable as on-ears but I converted mine to over-ear with Ablet pads.... really comfy now and the sound even improved. The pads just snap on with magnets so I can switch back in seconds any time I want. My type of mod:)

Last edited:
May 6, 2018 at 7:40 AM Post #3,644 of 7,153
N350 is too fancy for portable usage imo. :D Im probably going to stick to my Oneodios and Urbanfun Mark II if i need portability.

Speaking about Oneodio, i noticed something strange after listening to them yesterday... A while ago i removed the foam under the earpads because someone told me that it makes midrange a bit more clear and bass less bloated and that indeed happened at some degree (at least to my ears). One thing that didnt go away was the heavy sibilance/hissing in treble range that was so disturbing in some brighter sounding tracks that i had to switch song.

But now the sibilance seems to be almost totally gone. I can still hear it in certain tracks but its not even nearly as bad. I dont believe in burn-in and i havent even used them for a long time (my ears were clogged for two weeks because of flu and listening to music wasnt very enjoyable). Did something change in my ears? Feels like magic. :six_pointed_star:

May 6, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #3,645 of 7,153
i need recommendations for over ear headphones for home use under 50$.
i am looking for a characteristic V shape sound signature without loss on mids.
imaging and soundstage will be important to me.
i will use them for movies, games and music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back