1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (On or Over Ear Headphones)

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by slowpickr, Oct 5, 2016.
First

Back
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
Next

Last
  1. Cruelhand Luke
    yeah...all things I have thought of. Well, not the sheepskin peel and stick thing, I didn't go that far into the rabbit hole.

Slater likes this.
  2. trellus
    Why would a rabbit have sheepskin....? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

mbwilson111 likes this.
  3. Cruelhand Luke
    I really wish I had picked up some of those 3300 when they were $9.99 on newegg

4. Cruelhand Luke
    Mostly for warmth I suppose...

mbwilson111 likes this.
  5. Slater
    Yeah, that cost-to-sound value ratio was sheer insanity.

From time to time I search for SHL3300 hoping to run into that deal again so I can snap up a few more pairs (even just for the drivers). I got a damaged box one on Amazon Warehouse for $7 shipped once too. The box had a little tear in it LOL

6. Cruelhand Luke
    I sometimes wonder about how much the cost/quality ratio affects my opinions. I have some pretty good bargains in hifi, especially after careful mods and a good choice of an amp....and I know a good portion of my enjoyment is knowing I am getting high quality sound out of inexpensive equipement

7. Slater
    Totally agree. From cars to groceries to audio gear, it always feels great to get a bargain!

mbwilson111 likes this.
  8. larry piencenaves
    I wish headphone pricing is the same around the world, bcoz of that I cant relate to you guys saying shl3300 being a bang fo buck hp as it costs 88$ here.

9. Slater
    Yeah, $88 is too much. SHL3300 is good, but not that good. The MSRP was $99.95 when it 1st came out (which is bananas). Realistically, I'd say it's worth $40-$50.

I do feel bad for others in countries where prices are not only out-of-whack, but there's ridiculous import shipping costs and import duties. I also know that Philips has poor worldwide distribution, so Philips products (at least audio) isn't even available in many countries.

That's why I love ChiFi; it kind of levels the playing field so people in many countries can enjoy good audio (even if you still have to deal with import duties). Unfortunately, there just aren't the variety of ChiFi offerings in full size headphones like there is for ChiFi IEMs/earbuds.

The other thing with the SHL3300 is that for best sound you also need to add upgrades on top of the price. The stock pads suck big time. Oval HM5 pads are great, and others work (including $10 generic rounds and even the $6 oval HM5 clones from Aliexpress/ebay).

Also, the stock cable (which has good sound), sucks because 1) it's coiled 2) is fixed and 3) the rubber insulation breaks down after a few years and crumbles apart. I developed a mod to replace the stock cable with a 3.5mm jack (to allow the use of removable cables) for under $1.

The point is that on top of the product cost, you gotta add the extra costs. The results are well worth it though, but not if you're starting out at $88 for just the headphone.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  10. Cruelhand Luke
    Re cars: I was fortunate in my 20s and 30s to have the opportunity to drive a lot of fantastic cars, often on tracks, sometimes under no restriction whatsoever. and my all time hands down favorite car of all time is the Mazda Miata. Specifically !994/1995. The absolute best dollar to automotive joy ratio possible. (and a perfect 50/50 weight distribution...coincidence??)

djmakemynight and Slater like this.
  11. Lurk650
    The VModa cable works perfectly. No need to mod the stock housing

12. Slater
    I did so custom made upgrade cables could be used (braided, etc). But I agree; there are cables that do work perfectly as-is (such as Beats cables and others with narrow enough plugs).

13. mbwilson111
    Wow, I wish I was your neighbor. You could make me one of those sheepskin things for my Shure 1540. The headband bothers me a little (not horribly) and that would be sweet! So you look for leather at thrift stores.

I put one of those knitted covers on and it helps a little and at least protects the flimsy little pads on the band but more padding would be better... something to make the double headband into one. The snap on Beyer ones do not fit. It is such a pretty headphone that I would not want to do anything to make it look ugly.

[​IMG]

Slater likes this.
  14. ViniSavordelli
    Holy **** its the first timr i see something about audio in brazil being cheaper here, costs around 60$. It must be made here as well

Slater likes this.
  15. superfluke
    Got the Somic V2's a while ago and am really impressed with the sound quality. They're not nearly as comfortable as my HD598s but sound really good, especially for like $40

First

Back
232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241
243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 252
Next

Last