Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2016 at 9:24 PM Post #24,781 of 35,472
Does anyone else here use massive amplification while listening to music?   I realize I am in the small minority but, I had a mastoidectomy when I was 19 (they aren't done anymore), I am now 60....
The reason I gravitate towards IEM's is I can feel as well as hear the music.  The one problem I am having with the items I am buying from Aliexpress are no power ratings easily found and the sensitivity reading are, it seems, done by tossing a dart at a board with numbers on it.
If a gun shot is 130 db (and I understand the scale is not linear) an IEM with a sensitivity reading posted at 120 db should sure as heck be able to handle some power.  The Wooduo 2 were a HUGE disappointment.  They have high sensitivity readings but, I couldn't turn my amp over 1/2 before they started overloading.  
Long question I am sorry but, can any of you recommend an IEM that handles a lot of power? 
Am using a Rockboxed iPod with a Cayin C5.  I have a pair of Sony's ex90's that can as well as a pair from Denon.  The rest I am so damned careful with the volume, I can't really just relax and listen.
Thanks, and sorry for the long winded post :).

The two that comes in my mind where you mention about handling power (I take it as in-ears that needs more power than most sensentive ones) are probably the Havi B3 Pro 1 and the Etymotic ER4S (I personally only have heard them for a little while, but they are simply one of the best ones I have come across as well if amped properly).

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:40 PM Post #24,783 of 35,472
great! =))
i found my sweet spot this way:
40Hz (or low cut off), Q:0.7, -1.5 to -2.5dB-> to decrease some sub bass
2.5KHz, Q:0.3, -3 to -4dB -> note that the bandwith is narrow (because the peak is narrow), so you keep their great mids (this way it's still w shaped; if the bandwith was too large, the bass would eat the mids)

4.5KHz, Q:0.2, -2.8 to -3.8dB -> idem

they sound authoritative-bass indeed, the extension is large at both sides, keeping good detail, bright mid and highs, and good soundstage. however, i still find some treble artifacts. wish they had tuned the two BAs better to improve the high mids and mids. but then, they would cost the double ($67 for a DD+2BA is true cheap).
Thanks hakuzen, i told my friends to download neutron and I'll send those frequency adjustments to him so he can have a play about. I've ordered the tk12 and from what I've heard I should be able enjoy them happily with out any eq, so we shall wait and see.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:44 PM Post #24,785 of 35,472

I'm now confused. At least two other members had very high praise for them.

Hmm, maybe it's a different one since I've saw several products with the same Tingo brand. It's been a while since I've used it so I'm not sure the specific look of it but it wasn't that good for me. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:52 PM Post #24,786 of 35,472
Thanks hakuzen, i told my friends to download neutron and I'll send those frequency adjustments to him so he can have a play about. I've ordered the tk12 and from what I've heard I should be able enjoy them happily with out any eq, so we shall wait and see.

You should be good with the TK12 assuming the sound sig suits you. I never use EQ, besides maxing out Bass on my E07K to see how my IEMs handle it.

Mar 30, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #24,787 of 35,472
You should be good with the TK12 assuming the sound sig suits you. I never use EQ, besides maxing out Bass on my E07K to see how my IEMs handle it.
yeh ideally i would like an iem which doesn't need touching for example the puros powered correctly satisfy me greatly untouched and to be honest the fact twins hates eq is the reason i trust his advice on what iems to purchase, yes lurk i know the tk12 should be something special when they arrive can't wait.

Mar 30, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #24,789 of 35,472
yeh ideally i would like an iem which doesn't need touching for example the puros powered correctly satisfy me greatly untouched and to be honest the fact twins hates eq is the reason i trust his advice on what iems to purchase, yes lurk i know the tk12 should be something special when they arrive can't wait.
I've never felt the need to eq the Tk12, And any iem that needs eq is something I stay away from.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #24,790 of 35,472
I've never felt the need to eq the Tk12, And any iem that needs eq is something I stay away from.
yeh i totally get that, i don't mean this in a bad way but i feel a bit sorry for the people who bought the dqsm because after hearing it today, it was just really poor sound without eq, i think the only thing that still sounded good was its bass. Skullo don't you have a pair of these? Am i wrong in saying unequalised dqsm is far too harsh in the mid highs and super thin sounding, reminded me of the old alba headphones from back in the day. Don't get me wrong after eq correcting they did sound rather splendid.

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:08 PM Post #24,791 of 35,472
I had them but alas, I couldn't get them to work out. Too cool, bright and edgy for my tastes.
If I was going to eq and iem it would be to slightly enhance a good trait than to solve a bad one. :)

Check out this diy inear!
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=525371566854

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #24,793 of 35,472
I had them but alas, I couldn't get them to work out. Too cool, bright and edgy for my tastes.
If I was going to eq and iem it would be to slightly enhance a good trait than to solve a bad one.
smily_headphones1.gif

Check out this diy inear!
http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=a1z5f.7632060.0.0&id=525371566854

Skullo you are good at spotting iems on taobao! I don't know where to start on that website. I will check it out once i translate. Cheers 

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:38 PM Post #24,794 of 35,472
How does the HA-2 compares to the havi b3 pro-1? Is the ha-2 really the best at that price?

In my opinion, yes. (Unless you're a basshead or hate flat IEMs..)

Paul

The Havi's strongest traits are it's relatively neutral and balanced sound, unmatched soundstage and imaging at the price (and quite a bit beyond). That said, it is on the thinner sounding side, but I really love the mids on it. 

Mar 30, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #24,795 of 35,472
Skullo you are good at spotting iems on taobao! I don't know where to start on that website. I will check it out once i translate. Cheers 
get in there, there's thousands. Also check out the Taobao agents mistertao.com and bhiner.com and also others. You'll need to order through them as you can only order directly from Taobao if you live in China or Singapore or wherevs.

Hybrid: 圈铁
BA: 动铁
DD: 动圈

Courtesy of another head-fier, punch some of that straight into Taobao.
Works better than going to mistertao and using its auto translate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back