Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 13, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #14,761 of 35,472
  Doesn't the CKR9/9LTD/10 share at least more similarities than to the IM1/2/3/4 series to distinguish them besides design/fit?

It's really hard to chose either series right now, let alone the exact model. They must have had a different target market in mind when they releases these two line-ups, which even compete against each other in a similar price category.

Thanks for the help!

Though there is a lot of overlap between latest multi-BA-driver and multi-Dynamic-driver IEMs, they are still very unique in the tuning, and AT marketing does a good job to make your decision hard so people end up buying their multiple IEMs to cover all the basis
wink.gif

I have IM50, IM03 (IM02 was returned), and CKR10 (CKR9 was returned).  They all serve their purpose.  IM50 sounds great, well built, relatively cheap, has removable cables, and excellent when you working out to get your pumping with a punchy beat and clear smooth vocals.  IM03 steps up with a more detailed sound, better soundstage, less aggressive and smoother.  CKR10 is warm and organic with a full body sound, more bass and better treble "hi-res" extension.  If removable cable is a deciding factor for you, IM50/IM03 has one (the same connector type), while CKR series doesn't.  If you wear glasses and can't have over-ear wire, CKR will suit you better with a wire down design.  There are also some trade offs with IM series housing getting bigger in size with additional drivers, unlike something like Westone W/UMPro series staying the same with additional drivers.  And so on...

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #14,763 of 35,472

Though there is a lot of overlap between latest multi-BA-driver and multi-Dynamic-driver IEMs, they are still very unique in the tuning, and AT marketing does a good job to make your decision hard so people end up buying their multiple IEMs to cover all the basis
wink.gif

I have IM50, IM03 (IM02 was returned), and CKR10 (CKR9 was returned).  They all serve their purpose.  IM50 sounds great, well built, relatively cheap, has removable cables, and excellent when you working out to get your pumping with a punchy beat and clear smooth vocals.  IM03 steps up with a more detailed sound, better soundstage, less aggressive and smoother.  CKR10 is warm and organic with a full body sound, more bass and better treble "hi-res" extension.  If removable cable is a deciding factor for you, IM50/IM03 has one (the same connector type), while CKR series doesn't.  If you wear glasses and can't have over-ear wire, CKR will suit you better with a wire down design.  There are also some trade offs with IM series housing getting bigger in size with additional drivers, unlike something like Westone W/UMPro series staying the same with additional drivers.  And so on...

Thanks for the insight twister6! ATH's marketing strategy is really confusing me haha.

I would be really interested in how exactly the IM03 compares to the CKR9 and the IM4 against the CKR10. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 1:03 PM Post #14,764 of 35,472

Doesn't the CKR9/9LTD/10 share at least more similarities than to the IM1/2/3/4 series to distinguish them besides design/fit?

It's really hard to chose either series right now, let alone the exact model. They must have had a different target market in mind when they releases these two line-ups, which even compete against each other in a similar price category.

Thanks for the help!

wink.gif

Off topic but why is IM50 import only from Japan to US? Do you expect that to change? IEM's are so delicate even for a low cost IEM it matters to me. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #14,766 of 35,472
Business decision by Audio Technica.

Business decision by AT US, only related to IM50/IM70, and if you buy it from Japanese retailer, you will not be covered by warranty in US. Accessory Jack is the best place to get IM50/70, they will service under warranty as well.

Feb 13, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #14,767 of 35,472
On Penon returns, for future reference if it's any help to anyone:

You have to email Penon to return something. They don't seem to pay any attention to the returns form on their web site, even though it appears hooked up to your account and has a "status" category and everything. I filled it out carefully, but never got a response. Then even when I emailed them with the return ID listed on my account's "returns" page they didn't know anything about it. So forget the form, go with email. If you're a silly-head like me, you might think that the "submit" button on the returns form does something. It does not.

It cost me $6.55 to send them back from the U.S., the cheapest I could find.

Penon wants all accessories (earhooks, tips), but not the box, to be included when you send the IEM back in a padded envelope. That's what they told me. [ EDIT: They sent me another email saying the opposite, that they did not need the accessories after all, just the IEMs. Unfortunately, I already sent everything off, but hope it helps someone in the future. What RJ said was right about this after all. ]

You can ask for a refund and order the same one at the same time, to make the turn-around quicker.

OK, that's it!

Feb 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM Post #14,768 of 35,472
even though this wayy too late but  i have just finished my review for the JVC FXT 90s,(really late) but long story short, i like em! =)

subscribe, + Like! =)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-ha-fxt90/reviews/12573

Feb 13, 2015 at 7:38 PM Post #14,770 of 35,472
  even though this wayy too late but  i have just finished my review for the JVC FXT 90s,(really late) but and long story short, i like em! =)

subscribe, + Like! =)

http://www.head-fi.org/products/jvc-ha-fxt90/reviews/12573

Very nice review, Tom! I see the FXT 90 is around $45 on Ebay from HK. Any thoughts on that? The FXT 90 is from 2012. An oldie but goodie for sure. Especially at the lower price.

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #14,771 of 35,472
deleted...and nevermind...i figured why

Your best bet to combine CKR10 (bass) with IM03 (clarity) is hybrid design, and I would recommend A83.  Not exactly the same copy'n'paste tuning, but in the same ballpark
wink.gif
  Or perhaps wait for T2 Pro.

... and definitely sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Feb 13, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #14,772 of 35,472
Your best bet to combine CKR10 (bass) with IM03 (clarity) is hybrid design, and I would recommend A83.  Not exactly the same copy'n'paste tuning, but in the same ballpark :wink:   Or perhaps wait for T2 Pro.

... and definitely sorry about your wallet :D

Appreciate ! Lol my wallet is okay....and a83 is cheaper than I'm-03 :D...dang it ....lol. You know why ? Because having babies....I can't enjoy my loud stereos setup anymore. I could renovate and build my basement for an acoustic room....or I could try portable with IEMS...and you already know what is cheaper lol.....

Next up is gonna be nw-zx2 I hope, and the reason why i deleted the original post was because i found the reason to drive the im03 wonderfully with my Z3....

I am getting full eargasm, and i take back what i said about im03 bass. It is very organic and impactfuls, punchy and strong :wink: thank you twister!!

Feb 14, 2015 at 7:57 AM Post #14,774 of 35,472
I "dremmeled" the lid on one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141493804980?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D141493804980%26_rdc%3D1  fitted a dual opamp converter with opa627bp's, took some of the coating of around the cut, then used some conductive copper tape and gaffer to make good..with the modification the baby really kicks serious sonic ass..thought someone might want to know that...

Feb 14, 2015 at 8:31 AM Post #14,775 of 35,472
  I "dremmeled" the lid on one of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/141493804980?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%257CR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3D141493804980%26_rdc%3D1  fitted a dual opamp converter with opa627bp's, took some of the coating of around the cut, then used some conductive copper tape and gaffer to make good..with the modification the baby really kicks serious sonic ass..thought someone might want to know that...

Would like to see the pictures of the finished thing and maybe some intermittent DIY steps shots :)  Love those mods!!!

I see that opamp is socketed in there, so you just replaced it with another model that has the same pinout or did something else?  Why did you have to cut the lid, it wasn't fitting or something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back