Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 25, 2014 at 9:33 AM Post #5,087 of 35,472
  The most USB DACs need an external amp and while on the go I don't want to attach two devices on to my smartphone. Makes browsing on head-fi too awkward 
biggrin.gif

What headphones/iem you use that need amp on the go? You can check HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:52 AM Post #5,089 of 35,472
The most USB DACs need an external amp and while on the go I don't want to attach two devices on to my smartphone. Makes browsing on head-fi too awkward :D  

If you can stretch your budget than E07,E17 you can get the E18 Android dac/amp and your G2 is well compatible....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692284/e18-supported-models-list-udated-on-jan-20th-2014

Jul 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM Post #5,091 of 35,472

What headphones/iem you use that need amp on the go? You can check HiFimeDIY Sabre Android DAC

The usual suspects 
wink_face.gif
 OTG: Zero Audio  Home: Havi B3(, TDK BA200, Sennheiser Amperior)

I think you missed the point as the output impedance of those DACs are way above 400 Ohm so you need an amp for full benefit of those DACs 
  E07k, E18, JDS labs c5d, stoner acoustic UD110+ topping nx1... plenty

Thanks, but those won't help as they would add to much depth to this setup. Imagine you are wearing shorts and have these setup in your back pocket. Awkward!
I've considered the Stoner + Topping NX1, but can't accept to carry a chain of three devices in one hand 
tongue_smile.gif

Right now I'm using a DX50 otg and this one is even too bulky for may taste. Since I'm owning a Ipod Nano 1g, which unfortunately doesn't play Flacs and have way too less space, and Clip Zip, which I haven't opened since it arrived, I thought of adding the Topping NX1 for OTG.
If you can stretch your budget than E07,E17 you can get the E18 Android dac/amp and your G2 is well compatible....

http://www.head-fi.org/t/692284/e18-supported-models-list-udated-on-jan-20th-2014

Since it isn't too much a matter of budget instead of convenience, I would like to have a source which has a good DAC or even an slight above average one, which can be improved by a slim/small/tiny amp like the pico slim, but this one is just ridiculous in price...  

Jul 25, 2014 at 11:14 AM Post #5,092 of 35,472
I would really like to get a smartphone with a top tier DAC, but most have any issue. The Xplay 3S is gigantic with it's 6" screen, which I think I couldn't handle properly. The TCL/Alcatel idol x+ has crappy processor and only 16gb of storage without the ability to expand the storage with a microsd ...

Any out her suggestions?

The processor in the x+ isn't bad, it's just not top tier or mainstream. The mediateks are actually kicking some major ass. As far as storage goes you could get one of the tiny so card readers (that's my plan for my xplay). As for other phones there's the xshot (best phone out imo), which has the top (I believe) cirrus dac, so it would likely sound ipod/iPhone like. Mi3 also cirrus, but I think it's a lower quality chip, meizu mx3 which has a Wolfson if I'm not mistaken, find 7 which uses maxx audio enhancement (their claim to fame is winning a technical grammy), or lastly the lovely 1+ 1, which uses its own audio enhancement and is said by many to be even better than its brother the find7.

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #5,094 of 35,472
The processor in the x+ isn't bad, it's just not top tier or mainstream. The mediateks are actually kicking some major ass. As far as storage goes you could get one of the tiny so card readers (that's my plan for my xplay). As for other phones there's the xshot (best phone out imo), which has the top (I believe) cirrus dac, so it would likely sound ipod/iPhone like. Mi3 also cirrus, but I think it's a lower quality chip, meizu mx3 which has a Wolfson if I'm not mistaken, find 7 which uses maxx audio enhancement (their claim to fame is winning a technical grammy), or lastly the lovely 1+ 1, which uses its own audio enhancement and is said by many to be even better than its brother the find7.

If you can deal with a smartphone that lags at usual controlling, like swiping from one screen to the other than you have really low expectations 
biggrin.gif
 no offense. The mediates can't even keep up with a galaxy s3, which is 2 years old I think.
The Xshot with an ES9018 would have been great. I'm interested in the OnePlus One, but it's a tad too big and the DAC doesn't seem to be on the same level with Wolfson and ESS.

I'm digging it how the most can use phones bigger than 5" 
bigsmile_face.gif
 Right now I'm using a Meizu MX2, it sounds good but not good enough 
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:14 PM Post #5,095 of 35,472
Since it isn't too much a matter of budget instead of convenience, I would like to have a source which has a good DAC or even an slight above average one, which can be improved by a slim/small/tiny amp like the pico slim, but this one is just ridiculous in price...  

:confused_face_2: yeah looks like you didnt state properly about your need..and or I got the whole thing wrong.....my understanding was,that you were looking for dac+amp that go with your LG G2,so the recommendation of Android based E18.....

You shd tradeoff something to get something.....

You better switch to Pro music player of your choice/budget that has evrything you looking for (size,DAC/AMP/flac,mp3 player) in a single entity but Cellular......

Jul 25, 2014 at 12:43 PM Post #5,098 of 35,472
confused_face_2.gif
yeah looks like you didnt state properly about your need..and or I got the whole thing wrong.....my understanding was,that you were looking for dac+amp that go with your LG G2,so the recommendation of Android based E18.....

You shd tradeoff something to get something.....

You better switch to Pro music player of your choice/budget that has evrything you looking for (size,DAC/AMP/flac,mp3 player) in a single entity but Cellular......

The main priority is to carry as less as possible and keep a good SQ 
wink_face.gif

So someone suggested to get the G2 with an usb DAC, which needs an amp work properly. And so on...

It would be fine for me to carry a smartphone and DAP, which is slimmer than the DX50. Or getting a smartphone, which has DAC comparable to the Wolfson WM8740, to combine both devices in one. 
Mx4 is said to be released in 2 months so maybe you would like that since you have meizu at the moment.

If it's better than the MX2 SQ-wise than it could work out for me, but like the other chinese smartphones this one will be even bigger than the last one 
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:02 PM Post #5,099 of 35,472
That's something to get used to friend. All the "better than the last" phones will bigger in size due to more features and tech being added. The slimmer the phone, the more compromise it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back