Chinese / Asian Brand Info Thread (Headphones, IEMs, Amps, DACs)
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #1,396 of 35,472
For those who are confused between vsonic gr07 mkii and classic,here's an FYI note from LMUE.......

" Note: Due to a mistake by the manufactuer, the seal as well as the warranty card states that it is the GR07 Mk2. However, please be assured that the model you are receiving is the GR07 Classic. "

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:22 AM Post #1,400 of 35,472
So I ordered Havi B3s, Moxpad X3s, and Pistons from Aliexpress. In the comments I asked them that there are two versions of the B3s, and to please ship me the professional version of the B3s. They responded back by saying they only have one version, and asked if I still want to go through with the order. So do they stock the pros, or should I not risk it and cancel the order?

This is the link I used for the B3s:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HAVI-B3-sport-Earphones-with-Mic-for-MP3-player-MP5-MP4-Mobile-Phones-in-ear-Earphone/1605672790.html

It says "professional" in the title but I am still unsure.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:08 AM Post #1,401 of 35,472
Do the pistons kill every other iem under 30?

Depends what you are looking for in an IEM. If it is neutral, linear frequency response, they are waaay off the mark.
But if you are able to equalize them well, the answer might be a resounding yes. They are exceptionally clean sounding and respond to EQ well.

Problem - in my case then they no longer are portable, no longer cost $30, adding a GOOD preamp with  decent tone controls AND parametric equalizer can set you back for over a grand...

Working my way with the EQ at the moment - it is not an easy task that can be done in minutes. Roughly - yes; but ever smaller corrections are ever harder to make and positively fix. For bass, good tone control is nearly "enough", if we disregard rolloff below 100 Hz that requires equalization of this portion of spectrum. Above 1 kHz it is much more chalenging, they have peaks and a walley between 1 kHz and 10 kHz - and plummet towards nothing above 10 kHz. . I can only *hope* this can be satisfactorily put right. Keep tuned.

There is one aspect of Pistons I really, really like: they are unlikely to cause listening fatigue, allowing one to listen ( in my case work ) for a very long periods of time. 

If pressed to use IEM in truly portable format/enviroment, (basically, no EQ possible/needed ) I would return to my Xkdun CK-M700; they can not play so loud/clean, treble is rolled off, dynamics compressed - but offer much more lifelike tonal balance under their own steam. Pistons are essentially (mild?) basshead IEMs. VERY good ones.

Pistons are also a quite hard load for the amplifier; only 12 ohms, which IS tall order for most portable gear.

To sum it up; yes, if you can and are wiling to cater to its needs; most probably no, if $30 is causing a serious dent in your budget - because you are unlikely to get the true potential of Pistons with the equipment at  hand.

Feb 19, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #1,402 of 35,472
Depends what you are looking for in an IEM. If it is neutral, linear frequency response, they are waaay off the mark.
But if you are able to equalize them well, the answer might be a resounding yes. They are exceptionally clean sounding and respond to EQ well.

Problem - in my case then they no longer are portable, no longer cost $30, adding a GOOD preamp with  decent tone controls AND parametric equalizer can set you back for over a grand...

Working my way with the EQ at the moment - it is not an easy task that can be done in minutes. Roughly - yes; but ever smaller corrections are ever harder to make and positively fix. For bass, good tone control is nearly "enough", if we disregard rolloff below 100 Hz that requires equalization of this portion of spectrum. Above 1 kHz it is much more chalenging, they have peaks and a walley between 1 kHz and 10 kHz - and plummet towards nothing above 10 kHz. . I can only *hope* this can be satisfactorily put right. Keep tuned.

There is one aspect of Pistons I really, really like: they are unlikely to cause listening fatigue, allowing one to listen ( in my case work ) for a very long periods of time. 

If pressed to use IEM in truly portable format/enviroment, (basically, no EQ possible/needed ) I would return to my Xkdun CK-M700; they can not play so loud/clean, treble is rolled off, dynamics compressed - but offer much more lifelike tonal balance under their own steam. Pistons are essentially (mild?) basshead IEMs. VERY good ones.

Pistons are also a quite hard load for the amplifier; only 12 ohms, which IS tall order for most portable gear.

To sum it up; yes, if you can and are wiling to cater to its needs; most probably no, if $30 is causing a serious dent in your budget - because you are unlikely to get the true potential of Pistons with the equipment at  hand.

I am a total noob..if you see my thread..so sorry but I didnt understand 99% of what you said.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:11 AM Post #1,403 of 35,472
  So I ordered Havi B3s, Moxpad X3s, and Pistons from Aliexpress. In the comments I asked them that there are two versions of the B3s, and to please ship me the professional version of the B3s. They responded back by saying they only have one version, and asked if I still want to go through with the order. So do they stock the pros, or should I not risk it and cancel the order?

This is the link I used for the B3s:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/HAVI-B3-sport-Earphones-with-Mic-for-MP3-player-MP5-MP4-Mobile-Phones-in-ear-Earphone/1605672790.html

It says "professional" in the title but I am still unsure.

The Pro version I have has been discontinued. They now call it the "pro II", and it's the only version HAVI sells, but it is not the same.

It's still a good IEM, just not as good as it once was.

Feb 19, 2014 at 9:12 AM Post #1,404 of 35,472
I am a total noob..if you see my thread..so sorry but I didnt understand 99% of what you said.

No problem - everybody has to start at some time and some place.

In most plain basic English : Pistons 2.0 are too bassy, they have uneven upper midrange/lower treble, are lacking above 10 kHz nommaterwhat - but regardless of all of the above, which is, save fot the treble above 10 kHz, cotrrectable with equalization, still sound very clean and with a fun tonal balance. They are not "accurate", they may well suit some songs better than the others - but in any case THEY ARE FUN and certainly punch much above their price point.

After fiddling with EQ for about four hours ( it will have to be repeated a few more times, each subsequent FINE adjustments will be getting ever smaller thus requiring listening to lots of music making the most reasonabe compromise for best sound ), I can say they CAN be made neutral, with the exception of treble above 10 kHz, which can not be brought to proper level with any still reasonable EQ. It is bloodhound for the smallest intrusion of detail/noise, it has no trouble whatsover picking up the sound of public reading/handling programme sheets during classical concert - in short, can be made to be brutally honest sounding.

One drawback still keeps showing up - dynamic range seems to be still a bit constricted at the loudest climaxes. I have a huntch what it could be, will try to check this idea and will report ASAP. 

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #1,406 of 35,472
If no, go for Somic MH415.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:05 PM Post #1,407 of 35,472
  Hi,

Pardon me that I am new and this is my first post despite being an on-off reader of head-fi for many moons.

I had some chat with Havi B3 seller, and gathered some infos which I like to share below. Before that, I have some questions:

bhazard, like to check with you when and where did you order your 3rd version of Havi B3? It supposed to be the improved pro version (2nd gen) released on the 15th Jan. Howver, they had quite a few different versions which they using to test the market. The fellow is thinking that you probably did not have the 2nd gen pro version (the only final version they have now)

I have shown him the opened up pic of  bhazard's first Pro version (one with red wire between 2 drivers) and still awaiting answer from him if it is the former pro version. I am trying to establish if his former pro version is exactly the one bhazard listens in case it was a different version.
Update: Indeed the photo from bhazard is their former Pro version.

Finally, we could request him to produce the old pro version if there is a MOQ of >10 units. Isn't that a good news? However, I don't know how this can be organised.

Well...little interest in this, so I guess I just let it die off unless there is a definite interest of more than 10 units.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back