Chinese / Asian Brand IEM Info Thread
Sep 27, 2016 at 6:00 AM Post #631 of 33,689

**** 4in1 impressions:

- WOOF are these hot on the treble. Like, pierce your eardrums with a sewing needle hot. 
- Sub-bass, not bad but it seems like everything after 20hz up to 200 is lacking. No worries about any sort of midbass hump here. 
- Switching to narrow bore tips (Trinity Kombi) helped tame some of the highs.
- After 30 hours of burning the sibilance I heard initially seems to have disappeared.
- Soundstage is above average, but sound is still "inside of the head" 
- I find myself constantly fiddling with the volume level. Usually due to too much sizzle in the treble on various tracks or not enough bass on others.
- With the cable included from NiceHCK these are a little harder to drive than the usual IEM. I'm up around 45-60 on my LG V10. Most IEMs I'm never above 40 or 45 on the volume.
- Acapella music is fantastic with these. I hear overtones that other headphones don't accurately reproduce.
- Dance Music just isn't any fun with these. I need more bass. 
- Rock...OUCH. I couldn't do it. The hi-hat and crash cymbals about sent me through the ceiling.
- Jazz...nice...very nice.
- Detail, instrument separation, aural texture, all are way above what I would expect for headphones that cost less than $30.

The **** 4in1 has all of the detail and treble of the Vivo XE800 without being so shouty in the mids.

----will edit my answer later----

Basically... I do not agree with most of points You posted. This is all of course subjective but here we go:
- WOOF are these hot on the treble. Like, pierce your eardrums with a sewing needle hot. 

I`m very sensitive to treble region, especially 6-7KHz range and I can`t agree on these being "hot on the treble". While I can consider them being just on the edge of being "harsh" (with stock tips). But they aren`t "hot" with any of the genres/songs I`ve tried.
- Sub-bass, not bad but it seems like everything after 20hz up to 200 is lacking. No worries about any sort of midbass hump here. 

Lacking what? Imho, bass is quite accurate and I can`t find it lacking anywhere.
- Switching to narrow bore tips (Trinity Kombi) helped tame some of the highs.

Imo, You are doing it totally wrong way and approach - slap on some very wide bore tips like JVC Spiral Dot`s and then treble will be "smoother".
- After 30 hours of burning the sibilance I heard initially seems to have disappeared.

Already 30h playtime changed them? Sibilance out of the box? I didn`t have any experience with them like that. OOTB there was no sibilance and neither did the sound change after 100-150h playtime.
- Soundstage is above average, but sound is still "inside of the head

Agree on the soundstage being above average (imo quite noticeably above average) but "inside of the head" ? No no no and no - You should hear LZ A2S, HD-681 and some others that have some instruments/vocals presented "inside" or very close "inside headstage". 4in1 definitely ain`t one of them and not even close.
- I find myself constantly fiddling with the volume level. Usually due to too much sizzle in the treble on various tracks or not enough bass on others.

No problem here. They do have slightly larger impedance that I have been used to with budget IEM`s but require only 2-4 steps above my usual listening level (192-194 on DX50 @ high gain. max is 250). Nor have I notices any "sizzle in treble" nor "not enough bass".
- Dance Music just isn't any fun with these. I need more bass. 

Even though dance music isn`t my cup of tea, I do listen to atmospheric EDM occasionally and there is more than enough bass. For example with Eskmo - cloudlight.
- Rock...OUCH. I couldn't do it. The hi-hat and crash cymbals about sent me through the ceiling.

Once again, I`m very sensitive to treble and hi-sax notes, hi-hat & cymbals are usually "hot area" for me - no problems with those with 4in1.
- Jazz...nice...very nice.

While jazz is very good sounding, I slightly wish sometimes more "analogue" sound and warmer mids (something like ATE has). But that`s the nature of BA`s in 4in1 and I can`t really complain about mids.

I really don`t know if You have different **** 4in1, source gear match is bad, different preferences and hearing, different cable(impedance), not enough juice or something else... but reading Your opinion about them makes me think You have different IEM 
rolleyes.gif

I do agree on this though:
- Detail, instrument separation, aural texture, all are way above what I would expect for headphones that cost less than $30.

I want to note out that I`m using JVC Spiral Dot tips (S size and deep inside ear-canal) + Tennmak SPOFC upgrade cable without mic with my **** 4in1 @ DX5X: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/285#post_12652071

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:21 AM Post #633 of 33,689
iems that have not yet be dethroned below 100: havi b3 pro 1, ostry kc06, ostry kc06a

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:42 AM Post #635 of 33,689
iems that have not yet be dethroned below 100: havi b3 pro 1, ostry kc06, ostry kc06a

Ostry KC06A has been one of my favorites for the past couple of years or so. I can't talk about the only one I've found that really beats it (albeit at a much higher price).

Sep 27, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #636 of 33,689
  ostry kc-06a for 38.69usd on gearbest. voucher=LHOSRU
http://www.gearbest.com/earbud-headphones/pp_383528.html?wid=21

This Voucher does not work for me so it's a no-go! Every time I enter it just takes me back to logon screen
frown.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM Post #637 of 33,689
  Basically... I do not agree with most of points You posted. This is all of course subjective but here we go:
I`m very sensitive to treble region, especially 6-7KHz range and I can`t agree on these being "hot on the treble". While I can consider them being just on the edge of being "harsh" (with stock tips). But they aren`t "hot" with any of the genres/songs I`ve tried.
Lacking what? Imho, bass is quite accurate and I can`t find it lacking anywhere.
Imo, You are doing it totally wrong way and approach - slap on some very wide bore tips like JVC Spiral Dot`s and then treble will be "smoother".
Already 30h playtime changed them? Sibilance out of the box? I didn`t have any experience with them like that. OOTB there was no sibilance and neither did the sound change after 100-150h playtime.
Agree on the soundstage being above average (imo quite noticeably above average) but "inside of the head" ? No no no and no - You should hear LZ A2S, HD-681 and some others that have some instruments/vocals presented "inside" or very close "inside headstage". 4in1 definitely ain`t one of them and not even close.
No problem here. They do have slightly larger impedance that I have been used to with budget IEM`s but require only 2-4 steps above my usual listening level (192-194 on DX50 @ high gain. max is 250). Nor have I notices any "sizzle in treble" nor "not enough bass".
Even though dance music isn`t my cup of tea, I do listen to atmospheric EDM occasionally and there is more than enough bass. For example with Eskmo - cloudlight.
Once again, I`m very sensitive to treble and hi-sax notes, hi-hat & cymbals are usually "hot area" for me - no problems with those with 4in1.
While jazz is very good sounding, I slightly wish sometimes more "analogue" sound and warmer mids (something like ATE has). But that`s the nature of BA`s in 4in1 and I can`t really complain about mids.

I really don`t know if You have different **** 4in1, source gear match is bad, different preferences and hearing, different cable(impedance), not enough juice or something else... but reading Your opinion about them makes me think You have different IEM 
rolleyes.gif

I do agree on this though:

I want to note out that I`m using JVC Spiral Dot tips (S size and deep inside ear-canal) + Tennmak SPOFC upgrade cable without mic with my **** 4in1 @ DX5X: http://www.head-fi.org/t/720776/ibasso-dx50-mods/285#post_12652071

CoiL, I would tend to agree with you based on my early impressions with the 4in1 . Bass is definitely there and much more present than the Fidue A73, and while the treble is quite present and active, it's not at the same level as Fidue A73 (well defined and better quality but I would understand why some would find some fatigue in it) and way less harsh than the Vsonic I tested in the past (VSD3 and VSD1S).
JVC Spiral dots medium helps a lot in most aspects (comfort, isolation, sound) with these.  I have the stock black cable.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:09 AM Post #638 of 33,689
At that price, I would say hard to beat, even if they have been on the market for a while.  It's one of the rare iems that has been in my possession since the beginning (of times when I started to buy like a crazy dude after looking at this website... :wink:.

They may need some time to get used to, but IMHO, their sound and comfort factor (the best ones I have/tested for sleep) and light enough to train / run etc.  Very comfy but not if you look for isolation.  These are not for isolation that much.  For the sound, they kick higher than their regular price point.  

So, for less than 40 usd....  very good.  MY opinion.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:10 AM Post #639 of 33,689
  At that price, I would say hard to beat, even if they have been on the market for a while.  It's one of the rare iems that has been in my possession since the beginning (of times when I started to buy like a crazy dude after looking at this website... :wink:.

They may need some time to get used to, but IMHO, their sound and comfort factor (the best ones I have/tested for sleep) and light enough to train / run etc.  Very comfy but not if you look for isolation.  These are not for isolation that much.  For the sound, they kick higher than their regular price point.  

So, for less than 40 usd....  very good.  MY opinion.

What IEM are you talking about?

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:33 AM Post #642 of 33,689
Yesterday, I received Somic V4 and KZ ZS3. Here are my OOTB impressions.

Somic V4
Bass is amazing, good extension, a bit emphasized sometimes. Mids, as a vocals head, I approve. Clear and detailed, but imo XE800 is a bit more detailed. Treble is sparkly, detailed, crisp, and rarely sibilant. I'm really impressed. If I'd compare it against XE800, I'd say they are of different species and it all comes down to your preference. V4s are energetic, fun, and great for almost all genres, Vivos are analytical and great for bass-light genres like acoustic and orchestra.

KZ ZS3
Though I like the build quality, I wasn't that impressed. Bass is good but imo it lacks depth and texture. Mids sound unnatural at times, but pretty good nonetheless. Treble is sufficiently detailed. I'm more likely to listen to EDM with these, the ZS3s are dark (sound-wise and build-wise).

Just my 2 cents, these two IEMs still need some burnin'

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #643 of 33,689
For anyone longing to go wireless I've been using this for a couple of weeks now and I'm very impressed with it:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272390838416?varId=571335301461&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649&_mwBanner=1

Just hook up your favorite MMCX IEM's and you're good to go :wink:
I wonder how different that cable quality and sound quality is compared to the name brands that have solutions already.

Sep 27, 2016 at 10:54 AM Post #644 of 33,689
I wonder how different that cable quality and sound quality is compared to the name brands that have solutions already.

If Peter has had good luck for weeks on end @ 8-10 hours run time for $24 it's a no brainer for the Pod
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2016 at 11:01 AM Post #645 of 33,689
I have the hack enabled so this is what I get when I plug in

Yeah that's just the regular hifi DAC. When you plug in a headphone Extender first it will show like my first picture, then plug in the headphones to the Extender. The AUX (as well as high impedance) enables the HIFI Amp which gives more power and a more dynamic range.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back