CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 14, 2021 at 9:27 PM Post #29,236 of 31,833
Got it. I've had this for around 2 years, and it already started turning green after around 1 year. Now it's pretty stiff. When I first got it I was happy, very soft and flexible, nice feel. It still works fine, but it's stiff, and that's really annoying
yeah....your kinda always throwing dice with HCK cables...more so than KBear, XINHS. I have this cable balanced way but don't like it.
Copper doesn't oxidate as easily....and their some prejudice imo about copper cable...due to different qualities of purity etc we can get...
Anyway, for 15$ the one i share is no brainer, very sturdy and durable for my experience of like (did i say 2 years its certainly more than this....)...the jack and 2pin connectors are of better quality than most HCK cables i own....and its a way to judge overall cable quality. you dont want any part to be loose or badly soldered etc

Nov 15, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #29,237 of 31,833
yeah....your kinda always throwing dice with HCK cables...more so than KBear, XINHS. I have this cable balanced way but don't like it.
Copper doesn't oxidate as easily....and their some prejudice imo about copper cable...due to different qualities of purity etc we can get...
Anyway, for 15$ the one i share is no brainer, very sturdy and durable for my experience of like (did i say 2 years its certainly more than this....)...the jack and 2pin connectors are of better quality than most HCK cables i own....and its a way to judge overall cable quality. you dont want any part to be loose or badly soldered etc
Copper oxidizes fairly easy, especially with PVC jackets (99% of insulation), assisted by chloride and some plasticizers.
Take any copper coin as a relevant example of copper oxidation - how long it would remain shine in ambient conditions?

So copper needs to be protected.
Plating is the most common way - using silver (most common), tin or other metals.
Forming a thin protective polymer coating is a good way but more expensive to do right.

Some good irony is that a lot what is sold as "pure copper" to discerning audiophiles is silver plated but then placed in copper-coloured jackets, so audiophiles (especially those totally unbiased reviewers, of course) could easily discern and convincingly share their impression on "warmth" and "improved treble peaks" of "pure copper" compared to those spc, - placebo, if to use a polite word.

Returning to cables - there is a correlation of price with stability. But then the main goal of manufacturers is to sell most fancy marketed and looking cables for a premium price, and not the cable stability (if cables degrade slowly - then more cables can be sold).

I am not sure about the best brand (it is one factory after all, XinHS seems to be the closest to OEM manufacturing in a chain). My worst degradation with the loss of the conductivity was with KBEar Thorough.
The lesson from there is to possibly avoid more fancy wire colours: golden are dark grey of non-expensive cables from the reports are more prone to degradation, likely due to less developed "fancy" coatings.

Last edited:
Nov 17, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #29,239 of 31,833
Do all cables eventually turn green and stiff? Or are there cables that don't use PVC and are protected from oxidation? I bought my cable for $10 from NiceHCK, and I believed it was top notch back then. I'm wondering if getting something a bit more pricey (say, a 20-40 USD cable from XINHS.. been seeing a lot of good comments on his cables) will last much longer, or will it also eventually go stiff and green?

Oxidation really depends on material used and insulation on particular cables. Rubber will eventually get hard if contacted with skin regularly, and white Shure typed cable will turn green overtime. That's just the way it is...
I have pretty good experience with Nicehck cable, especially ones with rather unique connectors. Cable is more of an aesthetic choice to me. If a cable last me through the entire oxidation process, I already found that worthwhile lol.

Nov 18, 2021 at 10:59 AM Post #29,240 of 31,833
Hello, newbie here! Can someone recommend me a cable for my Heart Mirror that does not change the sound signature that much? I already have the default one, but I want some recommendation if ever my stock cable got broken. Thanks!

Nov 18, 2021 at 9:47 PM Post #29,243 of 31,833

Moondrop Nekocake, Kotori Dauntless, Kotori Vampire, TRN TA2 - Mini Review​

Moondrop Nekocake - $42.99usd, 1DD TWS. Decent set of TWS. Has 5 preset tuning options built in and accessible within the Moondrop Link app (assuming you have access to the app). The stock tuning, called "Balanced", is meh. Wooly bass, honky mids, relaxed upper mids and smooth treble. Reminds me a bit of Sony ZX-110. Overall, a bit weird and not for me. However, changing the tuning preset to "Classic Moondrop" totally changed the Nekocake into a much better TWS IEM…

With the "Classic Harman" preset, it is Harman Neutral now. Lean clean sub-bass focused bass, lean mids, slightly hot upper mids and smooth treble. For a $42.99usd TWS with Harman tuning, I have no complaints. Sure, it is lacking in resolution, detail, texture, note weight, soundstage is small, imaging is bad… but come on, for a TWS this price, you can't expect too much.

If you are looking for a budget Harman tuned TWS and have access to the Moondrop Link app, I highly recommend the Nekocake. Just remember to change the tuning preset to "Classic Harman". - 4/5
*note: I can't seem to measure the Nekocake with my IEC711. Not sure why. If anyone is able to help, do PM me.

Kotori Dauntless - $66usd~, 1DD. Bright. Unique and niche tuning. Vocal and treble focused. VERY GENRE SPECIFIC. Technicality wise, Dauntless is great. Highly resolving, bright, detailed, technical, great imaging, great soundstage, with fast and tight bass. For the price point that it is in (sub-$100usd), it is easily one of the better performers in terms of technicalities. However, its tuning is unique… uniquely bright.

I find that the best way to enjoy these is to listen to them at a low volume. Let the upper mids, treble and technicalities shine. With certain tracks, mostly instrumental, they are pretty nice. But once the vocals come in, especially female vocals, oh my…. They sound screeching. I am already listening to them at pretty low volumes, but once the female vocals come in, I have to turn them down even more. Overall, it is ok. amazing technicalities with a very niche tuning for the selected few trebleheads. - 3/5

Kotori Vampire
- unreleased, 1BA. Warm neutral. These are pretty nice. Good warm bass, good timbre for a BA, good warm mids, and warm full sounding vocals. Reminds me of a warmer KBEar Neon. Treble here overall is pretty smooth with no hints of sibilance. However, the 5kHz dip might be a concern for you if you like treble resolution as I find it to takw away a bit of clarity in return for a smoother response. Anyways, not complaining. I'd rather have smooth treble than peaky treble. Overall, pretty decent. I quite like this. Cant wait for Kotori to officially release these to the public - 4/5

TRN TA2
- $49.80usd, 1DD+2BA. Warm V-shaped. This is literally a cheaper KBEar Robin/CCZ Plume. If you like that kind of Warm V shaped tuning, the TRN TA2 is for you. It is cheaper than both Robin/Plume and it can achieve around 90%+ of what those 2 can do. Deep rumbly thick bass, thick mids, smooth treble, good coherency for hybrid…. This is déjà vu. Just imagine my KB Ear Robin review, but with a notch lower in detail/resolution and there you go…. My TRN TA2 review is done. If I were to choose between the 3 (TA2, Robin, Plume), I will take TA2 as it is the cheapest. Overall, a very enjoyable set for Hip Hop/EDM and gym sessions. - 3.5/5

Huge thanks to MOONDROP, SHENZHENAUDIO, Kotori Audio, Ray Tan, Trn Petter for sending these out to me for review. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Purchase links here (non-affiliated):
1. Moondrop Nekocake - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...0-touch-operation-5-tunings-push-button-reset
1. Kotori Dauntless - https://sg.e1personalaudio.com/coll...roducts/kotori-audio-dauntless-in-ear-monitor
1. Kotori Vampire - N/A
1. TRN TA2 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003439404254.html

20211119_005652.jpg
Kotori Dauntless.jpg
Kotori Vampire.jpg
TRN TA2.jpg
TRN TA2 vs KBEar Robin.jpg

Attachments

• 20211118_173922.jpg
    20211118_173922.jpg
    518.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_173949.jpg
    20211118_173949.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_173956.jpg
    20211118_173956.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_185434.jpg
    20211118_185434.jpg
    455.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_185442.jpg
    20211118_185442.jpg
    461.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010112.jpg
    20211119_010112.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010120.jpg
    20211119_010120.jpg
    407.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010140.jpg
    20211119_010140.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010147.jpg
    20211119_010147.jpg
    525.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010232.jpg
    20211119_010232.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010312.jpg
    20211119_010312.jpg
    481.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010329.jpg
    20211119_010329.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010423.jpg
    20211119_010423.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010512.jpg
    20211119_010512.jpg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010525.jpg
    20211119_010525.jpg
    685.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211119_010636.jpg
    20211119_010636.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20211118_224348.jpg
    20211118_224348.jpg
    507.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 19, 2021 at 4:39 PM Post #29,244 of 31,833
1633873921054.png
So....this is the IKKO OH line up. It seem OH1 is going out of stock, which is sad because the new 100$ price was a real no brainer Bargain!!
OH10 is still available for 160$, pretty good price too.
As seen, OH1S is way smaller...but kinda cheaper too due to plastic part...while OH1-OH10 are very similar the OH1S is notably less bassy and more treble centric, moe textured with higher resolution but more compressed sound, poorer imaging and smaller soundstage. To my ears, OH10 is miles better.
And I see a not-so-cool products strategy with IKKO which is about proprietary ear tips (nozzle shape) and cable (for their portable dac-amp).

Anyway, i highly suggest the OH10!
Just picked up the OH10 used here in Classifieds -- really like it, and after about 2 days going back & forth between OH10 and the Fiio FH5, I'm gonna let the FH5 go. Both are 1DD + 4BA configuration and sound very similar. The FH5 is louder, more "in-your-face" and can get a little taxing on louder music -- if I didn't have the OH10, the FH5 would be great. But, the OH10 is very sweet with super smooth highs.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #29,245 of 31,833
Just picked up the OH10 used here in Classifieds -- really like it, and after about 2 days going back & forth between OH10 and the Fiio FH5, I'm gonna let the FH5 go. Both are 1DD + 4BA configuration and sound very similar. The FH5 is louder, more "in-your-face" and can get a little taxing on louder music -- if I didn't have the OH10, the FH5 would be great. But, the OH10 is very sweet with super smooth highs.
Wow, Ikko OH10 over Fiio FH5. FH5 is praised for its technicality and tone, i guess fatigue is not quite pointed out there.
IKKO is finally getting cheaper here in my place, (IKKO OH1 used to be sold at current OH10 price). its tempting to buy.
Especially Zeos OH10 description is basically "smooth big booba sound" which makes me more curious.
But i need to safe for my BTR5 replacement first...

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:05 PM Post #29,246 of 31,833
Wow, Ikko OH10 over Fiio FH5. FH5 is praised for its technicality and tone, i guess fatigue is not quite pointed out there.
IKKO is finally getting cheaper here in my place, (IKKO OH1 used to be sold at current OH10 price). its tempting to buy.
Especially Zeos OH10 description is basically "smooth big booba sound" which makes me more curious.
But i need to safe for my BTR5 replacement first...

IKKO OH10 is a nice V shaped set, bassheads will like it, nice soundstage and does most departments well.

I auditioned it for 30 mins a few months back but decided to hold off on a purchase as the shells are big and heavy and I had discomfort with them on longer sessions. A pity as if the fit was good, I would have gotten it. I did see it on Massdrop at $139 - 160 USD sometimes during sales, that price is worth a consideration if you have bigger ears.

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:15 PM Post #29,247 of 31,833
I love my OH10, its the only Ikko i keep listening too...its an hybrid 1DD+1KnowlesBA....one of great ones.
Happy you enjoy your mate!
Didn't try FH5, but I like my FH7 alot!

Nov 19, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #29,248 of 31,833

Moondrop Nekocake, Kotori Dauntless, Kotori Vampire, TRN TA2 - Mini Review​

Moondrop Nekocake - $42.99usd, 1DD TWS. Decent set of TWS. Has 5 preset tuning options built in and accessible within the Moondrop Link app (assuming you have access to the app). The stock tuning, called "Balanced", is meh. Wooly bass, honky mids, relaxed upper mids and smooth treble. Reminds me a bit of Sony ZX-110. Overall, a bit weird and not for me. However, changing the tuning preset to "Classic Moondrop" totally changed the Nekocake into a much better TWS IEM…

With the "Classic Harman" preset, it is Harman Neutral now. Lean clean sub-bass focused bass, lean mids, slightly hot upper mids and smooth treble. For a $42.99usd TWS with Harman tuning, I have no complaints. Sure, it is lacking in resolution, detail, texture, note weight, soundstage is small, imaging is bad… but come on, for a TWS this price, you can't expect too much.

If you are looking for a budget Harman tuned TWS and have access to the Moondrop Link app, I highly recommend the Nekocake. Just remember to change the tuning preset to "Classic Harman". - 4/5

Kotori Dauntless
- $66usd~, 1DD. Bright. Unique and niche tuning. Vocal and treble focused. VERY GENRE SPECIFIC. Technicality wise, Dauntless is great. Highly resolving, bright, detailed, technical, great imaging, great soundstage, with fast and tight bass. For the price point that it is in (sub-$100usd), it is easily one of the better performers in terms of technicalities. However, its tuning is unique… uniquely bright.

I find that the best way to enjoy these is to listen to them at a low volume. Let the upper mids, treble and technicalities shine. With certain tracks, mostly instrumental, they are pretty nice. But once the vocals come in, especially female vocals, oh my…. They sound screeching. I am already listening to them at pretty low volumes, but once the female vocals come in, I have to turn them down even more. Overall, it is ok. amazing technicalities with a very niche tuning for the selected few trebleheads. - 3/5

Kotori Vampire
- unreleased, 1BA. Warm neutral. These are pretty nice. Good warm bass, good timbre for a BA, good warm mids, and warm full sounding vocals. Reminds me of a warmer KBEar Neon. Treble here overall is pretty smooth with no hints of sibilance. However, the 5kHz dip might be a concern for you if you like treble resolution as I find it to takw away a bit of clarity in return for a smoother response. Anyways, not complaining. I'd rather have smooth treble than peaky treble. Overall, pretty decent. I quite like this. Cant wait for Kotori to officially release these to the public - 4/5

TRN TA2
- $49.80usd, 1DD+2BA. Warm V-shaped. This is literally a cheaper KBEar Robin/CCZ Plume. If you like that kind of Warm V shaped tuning, the TRN TA2 is for you. It is cheaper than both Robin/Plume and it can achieve around 90%+ of what those 2 can do. Deep rumbly thick bass, thick mids, smooth treble, good coherency for hybrid…. This is déjà vu. Just imagine my KB Ear Robin review, but with a notch lower in detail/resolution and there you go…. My TRN TA2 review is done. If I were to choose between the 3 (TA2, Robin, Plume), I will take TA2 as it is the cheapest. Overall, a very enjoyable set for Hip Hop/EDM and gym sessions. - 3.5/5

Huge thanks to MOONDROP, SHENZHENAUDIO, Kotori Audio, Ray Tan, Trn Petter for sending these out to me for review. I am not at all compensated by them and all thoughts and opinions are my own.

Purchase links here (non-affiliated):
1. Moondrop Nekocake - https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...0-touch-operation-5-tunings-push-button-reset
1. Kotori Dauntless - https://sg.e1personalaudio.com/coll...roducts/kotori-audio-dauntless-in-ear-monitor
1. Kotori Vampire - N/A
1. TRN TA2 - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003439404254.html

20211119_005652.jpg
Kotori Dauntless.jpgKotori Vampire.jpgTRN TA2.jpgTRN TA2 vs KBEar Robin.jpg
So you try the vampire mate? Cool!
Hum, man, Kotori sure has a unique approach about tuning...
If female singers sound bad....i'm out for sure.
We will see!

Nov 20, 2021 at 3:33 AM Post #29,249 of 31,833
So you try the vampire mate? Cool!
Hum, man, Kotori sure has a unique approach about tuning...
If female singers sound bad....i'm out for sure.
We will see!
Looking forward to your review as usual

Nov 20, 2021 at 5:52 AM Post #29,250 of 31,833
well if you call the monk plus garbage then probably i will fall in love with X6. Never been able to use iems, only have my beautiful senn hd650 and my monks. Thanks!
@RikudouGoku @NymPHONOmaniac
mateys, you were right. im in goddamn love with this thing. The bass feels unreal for a earbud, like actual proper bass!

monks are really detailed, i loved them for that, had the auglamour rx1 too, had better detail than monks but far brighter and for some reason the plastic part of it cracked and damaged it's drivers.

but this thing has a punch!

(oh and i dont know how the hell aliexoress sent this to me in 8 days haha nornally it takes more than a month)

thanks a lot for the suggestions!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back