CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 26, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #29,267 of 31,834
anyone in this thread a musician or music producer? i’m looking for iem for mixing or live performances

Hi I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for almost 20 years. What is your budget?

For live performing (stage monitoring), I would suggest these priorities:
1) Comfort - no point having a heavenly sound if you can't tolerate the fit for more than a few minutes.
2) Isolation - to protect hearing in live performances. Noise induced hearing loss is a real thing, and if isolation leaks, one jacks up the volume to compensate and can destroy hearing. Good isolation also allows one to hear good details and the subbass.
3) Neutralish signature - this is very important, do not use a V shaped IEM for monitoring as this will colour the sound and make what you play/hear inaccurate from the house sound. If you can EQ on the fly, then using a V shaped IEM is okay, if you know what bands to EQ.
4) Technical performance - this is also important, as stuff like imaging, instrument separation, details, soundstage are relevant for stage monitoring. Do not use an analoguish lowFI sounding set for monitoring as one can't tell the other instruments/details in the music.

For mixing, I would advise to go for a headphone as they give superior soundstage to IEMs.

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:35 PM Post #29,268 of 31,834
Hi I've been using IEMs for stage monitoring for almost 20 years. What is your budget?

For live performing (stage monitoring), I would suggest these priorities:
1) Comfort - no point having a heavenly sound if you can't tolerate the fit for more than a few minutes.
2) Isolation - to protect hearing in live performances. Noise induced hearing loss is a real thing, and if isolation leaks, one jacks up the volume to compensate and can destroy hearing. Good isolation also allows one to hear good details and the subbass.
3) Neutralish signature - this is very important, do not use a V shaped IEM for monitoring as this will colour the sound and make what you play/hear inaccurate from the house sound. If you can EQ on the fly, then using a V shaped IEM is okay, if you know what bands to EQ.
4) Technical performance - this is also important, as stuff like imaging, instrument separation, details, soundstage are relevant for stage monitoring. Do not use an analoguish lowFI sounding set for monitoring as one can't tell the other instruments/details in the music.

For mixing, I would advise to go for a headphone as they give superior soundstage to IEMs.
ok so this is weird but it’s mostly for just playing guitar while i’m working. i talk to customers on the phone so i keep one ear on the phone and one ear with a bud to hear amp sims and the mix. sometimes i like to use buds at night instead of the cans because they’re so much lighter. so i guess fidelity isn’t a massive issue but i definitely don’t wanna get some $10 skull candy super hyped bass poops. right now i have bose soundsport wired with the mic you know? but the cable is pretty shot. i could hear shrink repair it but i’d like to get something. a buddy uses some kz zsn’s and likes them ok

Nov 26, 2021 at 9:48 PM Post #29,269 of 31,834
ok so this is weird but it’s mostly for just playing guitar while i’m working. i talk to customers on the phone so i keep one ear on the phone and one ear with a bud to hear amp sims and the mix. sometimes i like to use buds at night instead of the cans because they’re so much lighter. so i guess fidelity isn’t a massive issue but i definitely don’t wanna get some $10 skull candy super hyped bass poops. right now i have bose soundsport wired with the mic you know? but the cable is pretty shot. i could hear shrink repair it but i’d like to get something. a buddy uses some kz zsn’s and likes them ok

Ah then your requirements are not really that strict for stage monitoring/mixing.

If you use the guitar, the midrange is the most important. So try to get something that is neutral or midcentric or at most U shaped. KZ ZSN is actually V shaped and personally I won't recommend that for monitoring (YMMV).

For $50 or less, u can read about:
1) HZSound Heart Mirror
2) Tin T2 Plus
3) Final E1000/2000
4) BLON BL-05s
5) Audiosense 180/260

For a bit more, you can read about the TRI Starsea, and some of the higher end Audiosense models (which I do use for stage monitoring).

Hope the others can help too.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2021 at 10:09 PM Post #29,270 of 31,834
I've already recommended the Etymotics to you elsewhere, and under $50 you can get the E2SE (studio edition, neutral tuning.)
https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14405222&emailprice.

Etymotics were among the very very first IEM makers, which is why this thread has 1150+ pages.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/

The only one of those just above I have heard is the Tin T2 Plus.

While I loved the smooth shape and the fit--though it really needed the exactly right tips to get a good seal--I found its tuning a little odd.

It was like it was hitting notes from their lowest side instead of directly--almost sounded like songs were transposed down a quarter-tone. Seems to be a minority view but just my 2 cents. Among the others, the Heart Mirror seems to have a lot of genuine fans here on Head-fi if you search around.

If you are going the Chi-Fi route, Linsoul has a lot of discounts on Cyber Monday.
https://www.linsoul.com/pages/black-friday-cyber-monday-2021#best-deals

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:41 AM Post #29,271 of 31,834
I've already recommended the Etymotics to you elsewhere, and under $50 you can get the E2SE (studio edition, neutral tuning.)
https://www.adorama.com/etyer2se.html?sdtid=14405222&emailprice.

Etymotics were among the very very first IEM makers, which is why this thread has 1150+ pages.
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/if-you-still-love-etymotic-er4-this-is-the-thread-for-you.538615/

The only one of those just above I have heard is the Tin T2 Plus.

While I loved the smooth shape and the fit--though it really needed the exactly right tips to get a good seal--I found its tuning a little odd.

It was like it was hitting notes from their lowest side instead of directly--almost sounded like songs were transposed down a quarter-tone. Seems to be a minority view but just my 2 cents. Among the others, the Heart Mirror seems to have a lot of genuine fans here on Head-fi if you search around.

If you are going the Chi-Fi route, Linsoul has a lot of discounts on Cyber Monday.
https://www.linsoul.com/pages/black-friday-cyber-monday-2021#best-deals
i appreciate your information. i am not trying to be obtuse i think it’s just revealing all what i do not know lol. i’m curious where the bose soundsport sit on this scale of “exciting” eq shspes vs “clinical” flatter monitoring shapes.

i’m experiencing option paralysis for sure lol

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:48 AM Post #29,272 of 31,834
i appreciate your information. i am not trying to be obtuse i think it’s just revealing all what i do not know lol. i’m curious where the bose soundsport sit on this scale of “exciting” eq shspes vs “clinical” flatter monitoring shapes.

i’m experiencing option paralysis for sure lol
Crinacle has a LOT of frequency-response graphs. Frequency response isn't everything but it's a start.
https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/bose-soundsport-free/

Nov 27, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #29,274 of 31,834
What's the best iem for sleep, preferably below $10, but definitely not more than $20? All I really need it for is sleeping, listening to audiobooks and rain. So basically it needs a pleasant, non-fatiguing frequency response that sounds good on low volume (rain is actually quite picky to that, too much highs will make it noisy and sharp, too much bass will make thunder stand out too much. P.s. I'm ok with using minimal EQ), needs to be VERY COMFORTABLE and small, with good (or at least decent) sound isolation and a cable with minimal microphonics, durable.
So far I've been using Panasonic RPHJE125 with massive EQing and tips from Philips SHE3855, but the cable has microphonics so I had to spend 5min getting into the perfect position every night.. and they just broke, after a year of usage, so time to get smth else. Before that I used Philips SHE3855 - perfecto, nice and calm non-fatiguing sound, very comfortable, but.. has driver flex and broke within a month, so I'm sceptical about getting another.
If I don't find any other, cheaper option, I'll just use Blon 03. It fits my needs nicely, but it's kinda expensive for just sleep, and I'm afraid it might not prove durable enough and break

Nov 27, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #29,275 of 31,834
What's the best iem for sleep, preferably below $10, but definitely not more than $20? All I really need it for is sleeping, listening to audiobooks and rain. So basically it needs a pleasant, non-fatiguing frequency response that sounds good on low volume (rain is actually quite picky to that, too much highs will make it noisy and sharp, too much bass will make thunder stand out too much. P.s. I'm ok with using minimal EQ), needs to be VERY COMFORTABLE and small, with good (or at least decent) sound isolation and a cable with minimal microphonics, durable.
So far I've been using Panasonic RPHJE125 with massive EQing and tips from Philips SHE3855, but the cable has microphonics so I had to spend 5min getting into the perfect position every night.. and they just broke, after a year of usage, so time to get smth else. Before that I used Philips SHE3855 - perfecto, nice and calm non-fatiguing sound, very comfortable, but.. has driver flex and broke within a month, so I'm sceptical about getting another.
If I don't find any other, cheaper option, I'll just use Blon 03. It fits my needs nicely, but it's kinda expensive for just sleep, and I'm afraid it might not prove durable enough and break
Moondrop quarks.

Nov 27, 2021 at 10:33 AM Post #29,277 of 31,834
Personally I use the Moondrop SSP for this purpose. It's small enough to fit in my ear while laying on my side without being shoved inside. Great low volume performance too but at around €40,- it's too expensive for your criteria. There is Ali sale on it atm but it's still over €30,- without extra coupons.

It's cheaper little brother the Moondrop Quarks might be a good alternative, but it's bullet style so it might get shoved in your ear if you lay on your side. Can't say anyting about it's sound though.

Nov 27, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #29,278 of 31,834
Personally I use the Moondrop SSP for this purpose. It's small enough to fit in my ear while laying on my side without being shoved inside. Great low volume performance too but at around €40,- it's too expensive for your criteria. There is Ali sale on it atm but it's still over €30,- without extra coupons.

It's cheaper little brother the Moondrop Quarks might be a good alternative, but it's bullet style so it might get shoved in your ear if you lay on your side. Can't say anyting about it's sound though.
I think Nicehck DB1 is the best neutral-bright alternative to Quarks for low volume listening. No overdone 3k peak, detachable cable (decent quality), not bullet style (and it comes in waifu box too lol). It has a short nozzle though, so you might need larger eartips (like BL-03 needs)

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 2:06 AM Post #29,279 of 31,834
What's wrong with your Mh755? Maybe the Mh750 long cable could be right and very cheap.
For sleep I use Tanchjim Tanya very relaxing and well sounding around e. 20 now on AliExpress.
Anyway I will suggest you to use foam tips immo.

Nov 28, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #29,280 of 31,834
What's wrong with your Mh755? Maybe the Mh750 long cable could be right and very cheap.
For sleep I use Tanchjim Tanya very relaxing and well sounding around e. 20 now on AliExpress.
Anyway I will suggest you to use foam tips immo.
My MH755 broke :'( haven't updated that list under my profile in years 😅 Also, when I had them, they weren't very comfortable for sleeping. Tho their housing is pretty small, it still sticks out and gets pushed further into my ears when I move my head ≈45° (I have a soft pillow) because of that sharpish ridge.
If the Tanya had a detachable cable I'd probably get them, but as is, and with the price almost the same as Blon 03, which I am already familiar with.. I'd rather just get another Blon.
Idk y, but I just can't use foam tips. At first they feel comfortable, but after 30 min or so they start rubbing my skin, and after an hour it really doesn't feel good. I'll stick to silicone, tho so far the only ones good enough for sleeping are the ones from Philips SHE3855 and SpinFits, all others are too stiff for prolonged listening

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back