CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 28, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #29,281 of 31,863
hey guys, I'm looking for the best iem under or around $100.

Hi friend, we need more information so the community can finetune suggestions better.

1) What are your preferred sound signatures? Eg V shaped, basshead, treblehead, neutral, midcentric?
2) What are your preferred music genres?
3) What is your source? Do u have an amp?
4) Is isolation important for you?

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:18 AM Post #29,282 of 31,863
TRI METEOR is most likely the most refined hybrid from KBear...really well tuned. Balanced, smooth, lush, weighty in dynamic, no thin timbre typical of BA implementation.
As Larry Fulton stated, at 42ohm of impedance, it isn't as easy to drive as it look.
Lately i listen to alot of Hybrid based on Knowles BA, and this is my favorite one after IKKO OH10 which have more air on top but not as natural mids timbre (vocal go to meteor here). OH10 cost 180$ while these are priced 100$.
It smell like well deserved hype to me.
Need more listen, but these are impressive out of the box!
258869613_10157892449986581_3311755710881252729_n.jpg

257534804_10159206591439792_3719333409041535213_n.jpg

PROS:
-Cohesive organic balance (sound more like a single DD than a hybrid)
-chunky mid-bass slam
-warm tonality with extra treble bite
-versatile tuning
-treble snap and attack speed
-non-fatiguing sound
-smooth mids free of sibilance

CONS:
-slight bass bleed
-bass lack texture and proper separation
-average imaging and soundstage

If Final E3000 got a baby with Thieaudio Legacy2, it will surely sound like the Meteor. These make me think of Dunu DK-2001 too (with more compressed layering).

As said, I need more listen but the Meteor are surprisingly well tuned!

Nov 28, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #29,283 of 31,863
TRI METEOR is most likely the most refined hybrid from KBear...really well tuned. Balanced, smooth, lush, weighty in dynamic, no thin timbre typical of BA implementation.
As Larry Fulton stated, at 42ohm of impedance, it isn't as easy to drive as it look.
Lately i listen to alot of Hybrid based on Knowles BA, and this is my favorite one after IKKO OH10 which have more air on top but not as natural mids timbre (vocal go to meteor here). OH10 cost 180$ while these are priced 100$.
It smell like well deserved hype to me.
Need more listen, but these are impressive out of the box!
258869613_10157892449986581_3311755710881252729_n.jpg

257534804_10159206591439792_3719333409041535213_n.jpg

PROS:
-Cohesive organic balance (sound more like a single DD than a hybrid)
-chunky mid-bass slam
-warm tonality with extra treble bite
-versatile tuning
-treble snap and attack speed
-non-fatiguing sound
-smooth mids free of sibilance

CONS:
-slight bass bleed
-bass lack texture and proper separation
-average imaging and soundstage

If Final E3000 got a baby with Thieaudio Legacy2, it will surely sound like the Meteor. These make me think of Dunu DK-2001 too (with more compressed layering).

As said, I need more listen but the Meteor are surprisingly well tuned!

Agreed man! Even though they feature a similar driver config to ThieAudio Legacy L2, the Meteor has better technical performance and tuning.

Nov 28, 2021 at 1:06 PM Post #29,284 of 31,863
My MH755 broke :'( haven't updated that list under my profile in years 😅 Also, when I had them, they weren't very comfortable for sleeping. Tho their housing is pretty small, it still sticks out and gets pushed further into my ears when I move my head ≈45° (I have a soft pillow) because of that sharpish ridge.
If the Tanya had a detachable cable I'd probably get them, but as is, and with the price almost the same as Blon 03, which I am already familiar with.. I'd rather just get another Blon.
Idk y, but I just can't use foam tips. At first they feel comfortable, but after 30 min or so they start rubbing my skin, and after an hour it really doesn't feel good. I'll stick to silicone, tho so far the only ones good enough for sleeping are the ones from Philips SHE3855 and SpinFits, all others are too stiff for prolonged listening
You could give these a try: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001426626216.html QKZ VK4
They fit neatly into your ear (though I am suprised you had trouble with the super tiny MH755.) However the VK4 are very dependent on tips. Anything but the right fit will give you no bass, but with soft silicones (like maybe your Spinfits) they are surprisingly good for under $10. Crinacle loved their sound:
https://crinacle.com/2021/03/20/the-update-where-393-iems-get-added-to-the-ranking-list/

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 5:32 PM Post #29,285 of 31,863
Guys, apologies for a question that will seem annoying for people who check this thread regularly.

I was buying chi-fi IEMs in large quantities for couple years but stopped after I discovered Sеnfеr DТ6 in 2018 / early 2019. It was so head and shoulders above anything I have heard that I pretty much stopped searching. I bought few more out of inertia more than anything.

I would appreciate if someone could post some examples of anything that can compete with Sеnfеr DТ6 that was released in the last 2-3 years (under $100 if possible and not over-the-ear if possible)

I like flat sound signature with very deep (sub)bass and outstanding instrument separation / placement. Tin Audio products (T2 and such) do not have deep / thick enough bass and subbass for me.

Thank you!

Nov 28, 2021 at 10:10 PM Post #29,287 of 31,863
Guys, apologies for a question that will seem annoying for people who check this thread regularly.

I was buying chi-fi IEMs in large quantities for couple years but stopped after I discovered Sеnfеr DТ6 in 2018 / early 2019. It was so head and shoulders above anything I have heard that I pretty much stopped searching. I bought few more out of inertia more than anything.

I would appreciate if someone could post some examples of anything that can compete with Sеnfеr DТ6 that was released in the last 2-3 years (under $100 if possible and not over-the-ear if possible)

I like flat sound signature with very deep (sub)bass and outstanding instrument separation / placement. Tin Audio products (T2 and such) do not have deep / thick enough bass and subbass for me.

Thank you!

TBH there are not many cable down IEMs (most are over ears) and there are very few "flat signature with deep subbass" at the budget segment. Most stuff are tuned harmanish or V shaped for consumer preferences. So your 2 criteria would probably be hard to fulfil. I can't think of any other IEM at below $100 that is neutral with subbass boost (and that can be worn cable down). That kind of tuning is usually seen in the higher end market.

The IEM you mentioned has quite good soundstage and technical performance, but the timbral accuracy for that set is bad. I had bought 2 sets of that, but sold them away cause of the timbre.

If you want something with big subbass with good technicalities, maybe read about the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014. It has very textured and deep bass, but there are QC issues (due to wonky MMCX or driver doubt), so best to buy it from somewhere with a robust returns policy. Also the Urbanfun is V shaped, so the mids are recessed.

Hope the others can suggest something appropriate, but neutral with subbass boost + cable down at < $100 USD is gonna be a search for a needle in a haystack. You might need to compromise on some criteria TBH.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:21 PM Post #29,288 of 31,863
For reference, Senf*r D*6 graph and Crin impression on it,
"Overwhelming bass was the first thing that came to mind. Not particularly bad quality bass, mind you, just really had to ignore and takes the centre of attention.
Tone accuracy ranges from “slightly off” to “completely out of whack”. Vocals seem to be relatively okay on the **** but I almost recoiled with disgust when saxophones kicked in.
Not going to be a recommendation for me. Interesting tech for sure but subpar implementation"

Attachments

• ****-1-1024x477.jpg
    ****-1-1024x477.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 28, 2021 at 10:42 PM Post #29,289 of 31,863
If you want something with big subbass with good technicalities, maybe read about the Urbanfun YBF-ISS014. It has very textured and deep bass, but there are QC issues (due to wonky MMCX or driver doubt), so best to buy it from somewhere with a robust returns policy. Also the Urbanfun is V shaped, so the mids are recessed.

Recently I received Tri TK-2 (dac & amp), I find the UF YBF has very good bass quality and other ranges also pretty detail when pair with the TK-2 which I never feel so before (my other source is Hiby R5). It becomes one of my daily drivers now.
So, it might depend on source too.

Nov 28, 2021 at 11:30 PM Post #29,290 of 31,863
Recently I received Tri TK-2 (dac & amp), I find the UF YBF has very good bass quality and other ranges also pretty detail when pair with the TK-2 which I never feel so before (my other source is Hiby R5). It becomes one of my daily drivers now.
So, it might depend on source too.
Hows TK-2 to be carried around? its seems to be on girthy side.

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:37 AM Post #29,291 of 31,863
Looking to snag some chi-fi IEMs during this year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on AliExpress or other chi-fi suppliers, with a neutral/neutral-bright signature at sub-$50. I have a Walnut V2 and the Hiby FD1 available for amping (and balanced out on the latter) if desired. So far the HZSOUND Heart Mirror and the Moondrop SSR seem to be popular picks. Use cases are listening at home to all sorts of music genres and potentially for tracking/editing vocals. Which of the two should I pick if I want to avoid sibilance as much as possible? Or is there something else I should consider?

Nov 29, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #29,292 of 31,863
Looking to snag some chi-fi IEMs during this year's Black Friday/Cyber Monday sales on AliExpress or other chi-fi suppliers, with a neutral/neutral-bright signature at sub-$50. I have a Walnut V2 and the Hiby FD1 available for amping (and balanced out on the latter) if desired. So far the HZSOUND Heart Mirror and the Moondrop SSR seem to be popular picks. Use cases are listening at home to all sorts of music genres and potentially for tracking/editing vocals. Which of the two should I pick if I want to avoid sibilance as much as possible? Or is there something else I should consider?

I'd pick the Heart Mirror any day over the SSR. The SSR has slightly better technical performance but the 3 kHz area is very shouty and it has much more sibilance. Heart Mirror has better timbral accuracy, isolation and fit too. Both sets need amping though.

Nov 29, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #29,293 of 31,863

Thank you!
You could try the Smabat NCO, it may be available for under $100 with coupons (it was a lot cheaper about a year ago). It has superb sub bass and a good balanced profile, it is worn cable down and is very well made. Soundstage and imaging is excellent, here is my review for reference:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/smabat-nco.24604/

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:18 AM Post #29,294 of 31,863
TBH there are not many cable down IEMs (most are over ears) and there are very few "flat signature with deep subbass" at the budget segment. Most stuff are tuned harmanish or V shaped for consumer preferences. So your 2 criteria would probably be hard to fulfil. I can't think of any other IEM at below $100 that is neutral with subbass boost (and that can be worn cable down). That kind of tuning is usually seen in the higher end market.

The IEM you mentioned has quite good soundstage and technical performance, but the timbral accuracy for that set is bad. I had bought 2 sets of that, but sold them away cause of the timbre.

Hope the others can suggest something appropriate, but neutral with subbass boost + cable down at < $100 USD is gonna be a search for a needle in a haystack. You might need to compromise on some criteria TBH.
Thanks a lot for a full response. Let's say, I am ready to compromise on price, are there any suggestions that come to mind?

Nov 29, 2021 at 4:23 AM Post #29,295 of 31,863
For reference, Senf*r D*6 graph and Crin impression on it,
Yes I have heard from various people that in their opinion some instruments like piano, sax, violin (more "old school" instruments for the lack of better term) sound a bit off. Never noticed that but then, I am an amateur and that set of instruments doesn't feature much in music I listen to. Maybe quality control issue, maybe I am just lucky enough to have low standards when it comes to IEMs! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back