CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 23, 2020 at 6:32 PM Post #23,941 of 31,833
I forgot to mention what is quite possibly a very important detail and probably why having too much treble worries me so much... I'm only 28 years old as of this comment, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the youngest member who has posted here by a long shot.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just paranoid who knows. I can't thank you enough for all your help so far either way.

I’ve seen some tweens and young teenagers on HeadFi FYI

Apr 24, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #23,945 of 31,833
There are some sweet reasonably priced all BA iem's out there, I'm a believer you need at least 3 to honestly cover the ranges and I myself I love my BA10's even over my HQ-12's and I can't speak highly enough for the hybrid ZSX :beerchug: Just remember it's all subjective:rolling_eyes:

Hi Podster. I own the KZ ZS10, ZS10 Pro, CCA C16, Blon BL-03 and soon the UF Isso14. I keep thinking about the BA10, as I probably should have bought it instead of the original ZS10. In your opinion, would it be a sidegrade at this point compared with what I am using? I listen to a wide variety of classical, pop, indie, rock, etc. Stuff like M83, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Tears for Fears... For classical, usually big stuff with lots of brass - Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Bruckner, Mahler, etc. I am originally from Chicago, so quite a bit of the CSO and NY Phil...

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #23,946 of 31,833
Hi Podster. I own the KZ ZS10, ZS10 Pro, CCA C16, Blon BL-03 and soon the UF Isso14. I keep thinking about the BA10, as I probably should have bought it instead of the original ZS10. In your opinion, would it be a sidegrade at this point compared with what I am using? I listen to a wide variety of classical, pop, indie, rock, etc. Stuff like M83, Imagine Dragons, Coldplay, Tears for Fears... For classical, usually big stuff with lots of brass - Prokofiev, Shostakovich, Bruckner, Mahler, etc. I am originally from Chicago, so quite a bit of the CSO and NY Phil...

Unfortunately I never got the ZS10 because I opted for the BA10 and I've not received my Pro yet but I did have to try it. The BA10 is an awesome sounding all BA iem as mentioned but fit can be a challenge for some, I have fairly large ear canals (Think Shrek) and it was a challenge to get the right tips and nozzle rings for some extension on length but once dialed in they re killer. I believe you will ear from others in this thread or check in the KZ thread and those that have both van break it down far better than I on the diff. Sorry I can't give more detail.

Apr 24, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #23,947 of 31,833
I happen to have all of those, so I'll chime in few words.

C16 are most close to BA10.
(ZS 10 pro would be the most complimentary; Blon is in its own category).

C16 have nice rich mids, good bass and quite rolled treble to my ears.

BA10 are colder and more "analytical" switching from C16, more balanced.

Both C16 and BA10 do great in symphonic music, e.g. C16 with Bruckner and BA10 with Shostakovich.

If to move from BA10 towards ZS10 - then AS10, non-deluxe version of BA10 with the same drivers.

If more treble than C16 - then AS16 (to me at the moment AS16 eclipse both C16 and BA10).

Apr 24, 2020 at 2:09 PM Post #23,948 of 31,833
I am currently testing the ZS10 Pro against the BA10. I have to say that in this test the BA10 outperforms the ZS10 Pro in every department. The BA10 is magnificent in large scale classical and also electronic music. The soundstage, layering, dynamic range and imaging are superb. They are very genre-friendly. The C16, with my equipment is much colder sounding with a wealth of detail and sounds more analytical and suit smaller scale classical works such as string quartets where they sound very good indeed, whereas the BA10 sounds more organic and better balanced. BL-03 is more mid bass focused with a warm tonality. It has less detail than the others but has an attractive timbre. If you can get a good fit I would recommend the BA10 very highly.

Apr 24, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #23,949 of 31,833
I happen to have all of those, so I'll chime in few words.

C16 are most close to BA10.
(ZS 10 pro would be the most complimentary; Blon is in its own category).

C16 have nice rich mids, good bass and quite rolled treble to my ears.

BA10 are colder and more "analytical" switching from C16, more balanced.

Both C16 and BA10 do great in symphonic music, e.g. C16 with Bruckner and BA10 with Shostakovich.

If to move from BA10 towards ZS10 - then AS10, non-deluxe version of BA10 with the same drivers.

If more treble than C16 - then AS16 (to me at the moment AS16 eclipse both C16 and BA10).

The C16 has a small filter one of the plastic sound channels that reduces some upper treble. It’s only installed on the treble channel. If you remove the filter, the C16 treble extension improves.

22F5C1D8-D8BD-4B43-A32F-6309309531EE.jpegE2E6CE62-5AE4-4E03-B048-9DF068D261B9.jpeg

You can pick the filter off with a sewing needle, and save it on a small piece of waxed baking paper or even a candle. That way, you can reverse the mod whenever you want. You just need to remember which sound hole the filter goes on.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #23,950 of 31,833
The C16 has a small filter one of the plastic sound channels that reduces some upper treble. It’s only installed on the treble channel. If you remove the filter, the C16 treble extension improves.

22F5C1D8-D8BD-4B43-A32F-6309309531EE.jpegE2E6CE62-5AE4-4E03-B048-9DF068D261B9.jpeg

You can pick the filter off with a sewing needle, and save it on a small piece of waxed baking paper or even a candle. That way, you can reverse the mod whenever you want. You just need to remember which sound hole the filter goes on.
Absolutely!
I did with your great advice and love it! Thank you.

The treble is extended nicely for me, with a bit of those 30095 features.

With the craving for more treble, I got ( and am happy with NX7, actually NX7 pro with the read filter) and AS16.
The treble monster of all though is the AS12 with their treble filters removed - love it with some tracks but use sparingly :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 5:56 PM Post #23,951 of 31,833
Anyone here care to comment on the SQ of the TRN IM2? At $18, pass or pounce?

There are some who find them nonoffensive. I apparently have ears of wood, but the IM2 is one that looks and feels a lot better than it sounds and reminded me of trying to listen to music with the earphones not in my ears, still inside their wrapper, inside the box, and sealed by cellophane. Gave mine away to someone I don't like. Because they look and feel nice, they thanked me.

In that price zone, get the old KZ ZST or a few bucks more and get the BL-03.

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #23,952 of 31,833
There are some who find them nonoffensive. I apparently have ears of wood, but the IM2 is one that looks and feels a lot better than it sounds and reminded me of trying to listen to music with the earphones not in my ears, still inside their wrapper, inside the box, and sealed by cellophane. Gave mine away to someone I don't like. Because they look and feel nice, they thanked me.

In that price zone, get the old KZ ZST or a few bucks more and get the BL-03.

Well, I guess I can cross those off my list lol

Apr 24, 2020 at 6:43 PM Post #23,953 of 31,833
Had Tinnitus for last week so haven't been able to take some time for my earphones while in this torrid lockdown. Had the KZ ED9 tho today while running. These still IMO are the most musical of all the KZ range. They might not have the chops of their newer hybrids, but for sheer musical enjoyment... can't do much better. For £10 they have to be up there with the best of all budget ChiFi. They're comfier than the MH755, less fatiguing than something like the TRN V20 and less analytical/better built than the TIMMKOO c630. I'd would be great to have a poll on what everyone thought was the ultimate budget earphone, like around the £10 mark only :)

Apr 24, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #23,954 of 31,833
Had Tinnitus for last week so haven't been able to take some time for my earphones while in this torrid lockdown. Had the KZ ED9 tho today while running. These still IMO are the most musical of all the KZ range. They might not have the chops of their newer hybrids, but for sheer musical enjoyment... can't do much better. For £10 they have to be up there with the best of all budget ChiFi. They're comfier than the MH755, less fatiguing than something like the TRN V20 and less analytical/better built than the TIMMKOO c630. I'd would be great to have a poll on what everyone thought was the ultimate budget earphone, like around the £10 mark only :)

Some really good contenders in that price range, it’s hard to choose:

MEMT X5
KZ ZS1 v1
KZ ATR
KZ HDS3
KZ ED9
KZ ZSN
KZ ZS3E
KZ ZS4
QKZ VK1

Every one of those is a solid budget champ. Can’t go wrong with a single one IMO.

Of course nothing is perfect though. They each have their cons though, such as fixed cables on a few, fit problems for some people, random QC issues (as with all ChiFi), discontinued models, etc.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 8:36 PM Post #23,955 of 31,833
I've seen a video called ultimate sound test where 8 iems are tested with a microphone, I forgot the amp and mic used, but regardless I imagine the problem with this is that compared to having the iems on the table to try them out with yourself on top of the fact that this was on YT and YT compresses audio to I believe 192Kpbs at best... I might as well be trying to measure the length of a football field... with my thumb. Isn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back