CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Apr 23, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #23,927 of 31,834
Also would my ears be considered sensitive if the BA5 is at the upper limit how much treble my ears can take comfortably?
BA5s are at my upper limit (along with A6 mini, DK 2001 and my Etys), and I consider my ears slightly sensitive (or refined :wink: ) - my preferred FR is definitely on the darker, bassier side, but there are still genres or moods I'm in for which BA5s are a must.
Would you say it's easier to tame a harsh treble than trying to bring out a lackluster one?
You can move treble emphasis up and down with tips (depending on bore width mostly) and eq, but actual harshness, which I take to mean distortion or texture related, might be harder to fix. JVC Spiral Dots (and some DAC filters) have a modest smoothing effect but other than that I'd say harsh treble is harder to fix, especially if sensitive.

Apr 23, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #23,928 of 31,834
On a side note I've never tried a balanced armature before... let alone 5 in a single IEM. which i imagine it would make for a surreal experience at first if I were to get my hands on one of those.

ZS10 pro has already been mentioned (which i believe is also the cheapest IEM recommended to me so far as well), but what about the ZSX, C10 and C12? Has someone compared all 4 of them together at once?

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:17 AM Post #23,929 of 31,834
On a side note I've never tried a balanced armature before... let alone 5 in a single IEM. which i imagine it would make for a surreal experience at first if I were to get my hands on one of those.

ZS10 pro has already been mentioned (which i believe is also the cheapest IEM recommended to me so far as well), but what about the ZSX, C10 and C12? Has someone compared all 4 of them together at once?
This was discussed here just yesterday or two days ago. Scroll back a few pages.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #23,931 of 31,834
Would you say it's easier to tame a harsh treble than trying to bring out a lackluster one?

Depends on how well the latter responds to EQ and how harsh the former is but, generally, I'd say it's easier to tame a harsh treble. This is because, generally speaking, it's easier to cut a high area than boost a low area and, also, because you can often switch to foams and roll the treble off to tolerable levels.

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:20 AM Post #23,932 of 31,834

Haven't tried the C12, nor have I directly compared the others but, from what I remember, the C10 is the least "Chinese" sounding (bass boost and sharp treble, is what I mean by Chinese, lol).

Apr 23, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #23,933 of 31,834
You’re gonna kill me, but knowing the sound signatures you prefer, I know you’d absolutely love the IT01 Pod!

Well Kill may be a little harsh but hoping your feeling some serious death stares at your Avatar right now :wink: Pod admits he is a "Fun Lovin' Criminal" who loves a nice "V" shape iem but I have my days when I require heavy detail, timber or analytics but for most days just give him a warm and smooooooooth "V":beerchug: If I were a guessing type guy I'd

say the majority of people prefer the "V":thinking: of course since we Audiophools only make up less than 99.9% of the population I'd say its a fairly safe assumption 'er guess:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:12 AM Post #23,934 of 31,834

ZSX, C12 and ZS10p were indeed compared recently quite a bit.

C10 have a gentle yet resolving treble with a bit warmer bass, being nicely made with a similar form factor to those 3 above, and offer a very good value proposition at around $25.

Apr 23, 2020 at 11:57 AM Post #23,935 of 31,834

There are some sweet reasonably priced all BA iem's out there, I'm a believer you need at least 3 to honestly cover the ranges and I myself I love my BA10's even over my HQ-12's and I can't speak highly enough for the hybrid ZSX :beerchug: Just remember it's all subjective:rolling_eyes:

Apr 23, 2020 at 2:51 PM Post #23,936 of 31,834
I forgot to mention what is quite possibly a very important detail and probably why having too much treble worries me so much... I'm only 28 years old as of this comment, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the youngest member who has posted here by a long shot.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just paranoid who knows. I can't thank you enough for all your help so far either way.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #23,937 of 31,834
I forgot to mention what is quite possibly a very important detail and probably why having too much treble worries me so much... I'm only 28 years old as of this comment, so it wouldn't surprise me if I'm the youngest member who has posted here by a long shot.

EDIT: Or maybe I'm just paranoid who knows. I can't thank you enough for all your help so far either way.
Nope, im 20 :smirk: and im not treble sensitive. (Except for the Audiosense T800 which was like death-by-treble for me :joy:)

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:20 PM Post #23,939 of 31,834
Jesus, is that a tweeter or what?
I have no idea why it is so bad for me, but my friend (that is also 20) has no problems with it though.

Apr 23, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #23,940 of 31,834
So I think I narrowed it down to TRN BA5 as the best but also highest budget option (No leftover for custom cable nor eartips for me if I buy this so hopefully one pair of the dozens of eartips I hoard works) The BL03 as the absolute safest option (cheapest and also the only L shaped IEM I found so far within budget), and then probably the C10 as something in between.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back