CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 14, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #21,751 of 31,845
Dec 14, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #21,754 of 31,845
After listening to the C12 for a while today, I've found that the treble is just a bit too much. I tend to have a headache most of the time and listening to them during one was fatiguing. It's so close to not being too much treble though. The clarity/resolution is very, very good which makes me sad I can't enjoy these.

I ordered the BA5 and the BL-03 (I couldn't resist, wanted to hear them for myself after all the positive reviews) so hopefully the BA5 will still have that clarity while toning down the highs enough to be comfortable. Seems like the soundstage and imaging is better on the BA5 as well which will be nice as I found it to be a bit narrow on the C12.

I think someone else already mentioned trying to add tape to the nozzle; here's a similar solution that I've seen before that might help:

CCA C12 treble mod

• This mod tames only high frequency 30095 BA. Can be used also on KZ ZSX.
  1. Remove the grill. Remaining glue will still be useful. There is a BA tweeter right under that.

2. Place taming material on the top of the BA nozzle and cover it with the grill. Material should hold in place, because there is a very little space between BA and grill.
  • I have very good results with adhesive tape or patch. I'll also try a tissue.

• Treble is now placed far from head, darker, less airy. Its very musical for me, when listening to rock or metal music. Voices are same, but hi-hats or cymbals are tamed.

Dec 14, 2019 at 6:06 PM Post #21,755 of 31,845
Hi, everyone. For 11/11 I took a gamble on a couple low-priced IEMs which looked interesting, the QKZ VK1 and VK4. I'll share with you my brief thoughts about them. Slater has reviewed the VK1 already. There are some videos on YouTube about the VK4, including one from Zpolt.

As a preliminary word of warning, I bought mine from a store on AE called Xtuti. There is no indication that they are made by QKZ. The difference appears to be that they don't give you the branded outer box that QKZ gives you, and you pay about $2-5 extra to get the same IEMs. I suggest that you don't do what I did.

QKZ VK4 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33008022218.html
QKZ VK1 https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32864592760.html
Xtuti page https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000023090134.html

In my opinion, the VK4 (purple/blue) is far more interesting than the VK1 (clear). I don't know why anyone would want the VK1. The VK4 is quite good for its price, but it has some flaws.

Both come with very flimsy cables. Both offer poor isolation. I had no problems with fit with either, but the VK1 has completely smooth tubes to support the ear tips, so you might want an o-ring or a similar solution to keep your tips in place. Ear tips will easily slide off and stay in your ear during removal. Both have all-plastic shells so they are quite light and feel very cheap.

VK1 needs power. On my phone, I was at about 65% volume to get enough volume. Bass sounds a bit exaggerated but distorted and ill-defined. Mids are congested. The upper registers sound pretty nice by comparison but artificial. It's a mildly V-shaped presentation. Changing cables and amping with the E1DA 9038S, the situation improves markedly. The bass is still flabby but mids tighten up and come forward. High frequencies are crisper. Nevertheless, there is smearing and distortion up and down the range, and everything sounds a bit distant, as if I haven't gotten a proper fit. I get the feeling that the driver has some potential but resonances with the shell are ruining the final result. I don't think they will please many.

VK4 is easier to drive. Bass is too little for me but it's better controlled. There is a nice clarity in the higher frequencies, but the overall sound is bright and again, there is a sense of distance that I don't like. Mids are there but they aren't very textured or full. I'm keeping the volume down at around 50% because the brightness does not invite higher volumes. Technicalities are better than in the VK1 but nothing to get excited about. Switching to the 9038S, the VK4 shows itself to be surprisingly well-resolving in the mids and highs, although there is dullness in more complex music. The bright sound signature continues but bass is better represented. High frequencies can be glaring. The tonality is a bit artificial. Comparing to the BLON BL-03 when amped, resolution is slightly better on the VK4 in the mids and highs. The BLONs are smoother, bassier, and more natural-sounding. If you find the BLONs to be too bassy, you might prefer the VK4, but keep your expectations in check. Their brightness prevents me from being truly enthusiastic. However, for $12, they are an interesting and respectable IEM when amped.

I used Spiral Dots (L) for these impressions, which are not the result of a lot of hours of listening. Usually I am enjoying my TRN BA5.

Thanks for reading!
20191202_205649.jpg
20191214_160434.jpg
20191214_160501.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #21,756 of 31,845
Dec 14, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #21,757 of 31,845
I could be convinced that a recabled Sony mh755 would be end game for soooooo many people.
I love the sound of the MH755. The main reason I don't use my pairs more often is because they aren't ported/vented on the front so they create an uncomfortable pressure and sucking sensation in my ears. It also affects the sound when the pressure and position of the IEMs shifts in my ears. It's the same issue I have with the TRN BA5. I know most people don't seem to be bothered by this. My ears are just weird I guess.

Dec 14, 2019 at 7:16 PM Post #21,758 of 31,845
I love the sound of the MH755. The main reason I don't use my pairs more often is because they aren't ported/vented on the front so they create an uncomfortable pressure and sucking sensation in my ears. It also affects the sound when the pressure and position of the IEMs shifts in my ears. It's the same issue I have with the TRN BA5. I know most people don't seem to be bothered by this. My ears are just weird I guess.

Have you tried different tips? It seems like they might be too tight. That feeling would bother me.

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:31 PM Post #21,760 of 31,845

20191215_092759.jpg

try pressing the soft area here (between the jaw bone and the ear) to release air pressure inside. i do this on almost everytime i wear IEMs. it would make the seal more secure and less pressure

Dec 14, 2019 at 10:55 PM Post #21,761 of 31,845
Hi, everyone. For 11/11 I took a gamble on a couple low-priced IEMs which looked interesting, the QKZ VK1 and VK4. I'll share with you my brief thoughts about them. Slater has reviewed the VK1 already. There are some videos on YouTube about the VK4, including one from Zpolt.

As a preliminary word of warning, I bought mine from a store on AE called Xtuti. There is no indication that they are made by QKZ. The difference appears to be that they don't give you the branded outer box that QKZ gives you, and you pay about $2-5 extra to get the same IEMs. I suggest that you don't do what I did.

In my opinion, the VK4 (purple/blue) is far more interesting than the VK1 (clear). I don't know why anyone would want the VK1. The VK4 is quite good for its price, but it has some flaws.

Both come with very flimsy cables. Both offer poor isolation. I had no problems with fit with either, but the VK1 has completely smooth tubes to support the ear tips, so you might want an o-ring or a similar solution to keep your tips in place. Ear tips will easily slide off and stay in your ear during removal. Both have all-plastic shells so they are quite light and feel very cheap.

VK1 needs power. On my phone, I was at about 65% volume to get enough volume. Bass sounds a bit exaggerated but distorted and ill-defined. Mids are congested. The upper registers sound pretty nice by comparison but artificial. It's a mildly V-shaped presentation. Changing cables and amping with the E1DA 9038S, the situation improves markedly. The bass is still flabby but mids tighten up and come forward. High frequencies are crisper. Nevertheless, there is smearing and distortion up and down the range, and everything sounds a bit distant, as if I haven't gotten a proper fit. I get the feeling that the driver has some potential but resonances with the shell are ruining the final result. I don't think they will please many.

VK4 is easier to drive. Bass is too little for me but it's better controlled. There is a nice clarity in the higher frequencies, but the overall sound is bright and again, there is a sense of distance that I don't like. Mids are there but they aren't very textured or full. I'm keeping the volume down at around 50% because the brightness does not invite higher volumes. Technicalities are better than in the VK1 but nothing to get excited about. Switching to the 9038S, the VK4 shows itself to be surprisingly well-resolving in the mids and highs, although there is dullness in more complex music. The bright sound signature continues but bass is better represented. High frequencies can be glaring. The tonality is a bit artificial. Comparing to the BLON BL-03 when amped, resolution is slightly better on the VK4 in the mids and highs. The BLONs are smoother, bassier, and more natural-sounding. If you find the BLONs to be too bassy, you might prefer the VK4, but keep your expectations in check. Their brightness prevents me from being truly enthusiastic. However, for $12, they are an interesting and respectable IEM when amped.

I used Spiral Dots (L) for these impressions, which are not the result of a lot of hours of listening. Usually I am enjoying my TRN BA5.

Thanks for reading!

Thanks for taking one for the team and trying the VK4.

I've said it many times before, QKZ are junk.

There are a few QKZ models that are 'less junky' than the others. There's no reason (in my mind) for anyone to buy QKZ anything. There's way better earphones out there for the same price or cheaper.

Dec 15, 2019 at 12:52 AM Post #21,762 of 31,845
genck gave you a good answer.

Let me just say, Tin T2 is neutral toned, it is not designed to emphasize bass, but just to put a bassline alongside the treble. Many say that the T2 still doesn't pull as much detail and information from the bass as it could. I personally find it thin on bass. It is subdued from what it could be.

If you want an IEM with phat beats, don't buy the T2. Part of enjoying the T2 means recognizing what it is good for. What makes it special is that it, unlike most sub-$50 Chi-Fi, it doesn't have that 'consumer-friendly' V-shape, and lacks some of the peakiness of Chi-fi common in that range.

Instead, it's a more 'reference' tuning, trying to play you the album without colouring it too much. And that means that the tuning for the instruments is pretty okay. You can get good classical, maybe jazz, and the detail is good. So buying a T2 gives you a different sort of sound and experience than a V90 or even a Y*nY*o V2. [The V2 is 'warmer,' and the tuning is moved away from the 'neutral' somewhat.]

By contrast, a TRN V90 gives you huge bass information and detail, similar to the ZS-10 Pro. They can pull in all sorts of sounds and beat information that the T2 will blissfully ignore, in my experience.
so i just got the Symbio W tips and they fill out the bass of the Tin T2 very nicely. good presence and texture.

Dec 15, 2019 at 1:33 AM Post #21,763 of 31,845

I bought one from "All3C Store." It's still 10.99.

Yeah, I took a gamble. Apparently, these are being used for video gaming. I read about one person who is using a C-16-3 cable. Co-incidentally, I have a C-16-3 (copper) 2-Pin. I think the setup here is to go PC > USB DAC > C-16-3 > VK4, and now you have a gaming IEM? I don't know. Thanks for 'taking one for the team' as was said.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back