CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 14, 2019 at 8:40 AM Post #21,736 of 31,833
I'll look into it, I always had the understanding that it's something which isn't done.. Hopefully I'm a little bit smarter than a moron and figure it out
This is a MMCX guide but same concept without the MMCX part

EjWvBIWaFikW8eU6FxHiLm5n0vzgni9CgT-QNp-NrHY.png

Dec 14, 2019 at 9:17 AM Post #21,737 of 31,833
Dec 14, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #21,738 of 31,833
Any moron could do it

I hardly think that's fair. Soldering is a skill that is not so simple and takes practice. I ruined a camera I was trying to repair (trying to replace a capacitor) after buying a cheap soldering iron and watching a few YouTube videos. I would be reluctant to try recabling an earphone without some confidence in my skills with soldering.

Dec 14, 2019 at 12:17 PM Post #21,739 of 31,833
I hardly think that's fair. Soldering is a skill that is not so simple and takes practice. I ruined a camera I was trying to repair (trying to replace a capacitor) after buying a cheap soldering iron and watching a few YouTube videos. I would be reluctant to try recabling an earphone without some confidence in my skills with soldering.

I agree. You also need good eyes and a steady hand. Also some shells are easier to open than others.

Dec 14, 2019 at 1:08 PM Post #21,741 of 31,833
Just burning in a pair of CCA C12. Initially a little treble hot for me but it's settling, hopefully to a place where it remains comfortable. Really great fit with spinfit CP240 and balanced NICEHCK 16-3.

As as a result, I've put a practically new pair of BQEYZ K2 up for sale.....

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #21,742 of 31,833
Save $5 and try the Ren Teng ix10 from AE. I'd say it's a junior version of the SFR ****. :)
I wanna get in on this, does anybody else have experience with these?
I haven't heard of the company, but to be honest they don't look that bad, especially for the price. They seem to feature similar features and quality as the HD9 and EDR1 in terms of the cable.
TBH I wanted to get EDR1 for fun, probably will. Might buy both the EDR1 and the IX10 out of boredom.

Dec 14, 2019 at 2:32 PM Post #21,743 of 31,833
Just burning in a pair of CCA C12. Initially a little treble hot for me but it's settling, hopefully to a place where it remains comfortable. Really great fit with spinfit CP240 and balanced NICEHCK 16-3.

I dont get why so many throw spinfits on iems. They work well for bass shy ones and, in general, are rarely used in my collection (on vivo x800 theyre great).

For c12 and blon 03 i found the spinfits (signle and double flange) to increase midbass bleed and decreased seperation and soundstage quite noticeably. For the blon it was a pity as the double flange gave a great fit.

I recommend large bore tips for many of my iems, especiamly those that need clarity and seperation/soudstage.
My 2 cents...

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2019 at 2:39 PM Post #21,745 of 31,833
I'll try the C12s with some foams after a little more burn in but I have really narrow canals and always gravitate back to the double or triple flange silicone, just because they get a good seal. We shall see....

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #21,747 of 31,833
I'm new to Head-Fi, but found this thread.
What is the best IEM for 10 bucks? One that you can just enjoy music with and not pinpoint sound signature and so on?

Okay, you've probably already seen what everyone has written. I also own the KZ ED9, Sony MH755, and EZ Audio D4, and would rank them in that order.

The ED9 is the safest best, it is a crowd-pleaser and fairly generalist. It has a surprisingly powerful and full sound for such a small/cheap IEM, and looks and feels good for the price. I think it came with a pouch too, can't remember.

It does come with 2 filters, which is incredible for a $10 IEM. I never changed them, but they are said to make a difference in sound. Sets a good standard in this respect.

The Sony MH755 has the best tuning of the three, as others have pointed out. If you get a genuine one, that is. The possibility of getting a fake makes it hard for me to reccommend as a first-time purchase. There is a seller in Japan that people widely say is legit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333337657196?ul_noapp=true

but you can see you are paying $10 plus.

I'm not sure that the MH755 has as full a sound as the ED9, but the classical/jazz instruments are going to sound more accurate. But you will have to mod the cable or get an extender. It's not exactly 'hassle-free' out-of-the-box, while the ED9 is. It's more of an example of how you can get proper tuning for $5-10.

I had the EZ Audio D4, but was disappointed. I found that the detail/resolution was less than hoped for. OTOH, it had good voice clarity. I gave mine away to people to use with their phones and tablets, since they are good for calls and podcasts.

Many people mod their D4 to get greater bass. If you did that, it could be a good buy. But you should get them at $8 during sales, not $10.

So I would recommend at ED9 as the most hassle-free and general all-round experience. I was amazed at what it could do for $14 CDN. But if 'musical' tuning is really important to you, than go with MH755 from a reputable seller. If bass is important, mod a D4.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:02 PM Post #21,748 of 31,833
Save $5 and try the Ren Teng ix10 from AE. I'd say it's a junior version of the SFR ****. :)
Where did you find these, when I sear Aliexpress for Ren Teng not a single earphone comes up. I wanted to check the price of ix12 but cannot find it on AE. Very weird.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:08 PM Post #21,749 of 31,833
Okay, you've probably already seen what everyone has written. I also own the KZ ED9, Sony MH755, and EZ Audio D4, and would rank them in that order.

The ED9 is the safest best, it is a crowd-pleaser and fairly generalist. It has a surprisingly powerful and full sound for such a small/cheap IEM, and looks and feels good for the price. I think it came with a pouch too, can't remember.

It does come with 2 filters, which is incredible for a $10 IEM. I never changed them, but they are said to make a difference in sound. Sets a good standard in this respect.

The Sony MH755 has the best tuning of the three, as others have pointed out. If you get a genuine one, that is. The possibility of getting a fake makes it hard for me to reccommend as a first-time purchase. There is a seller in Japan that people widely say is legit:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/333337657196?ul_noapp=true

but you can see you are paying $10 plus.

I'm not sure that the MH755 has as full a sound as the ED9, but the classical/jazz instruments are going to sound more accurate. But you will have to mod the cable or get an extender. It's not exactly 'hassle-free' out-of-the-box, while the ED9 is. It's more of an example of how you can get proper tuning for $5-10.

I had the EZ Audio D4, but was disappointed. I found that the detail/resolution was less than hoped for. OTOH, it had good voice clarity. I gave mine away to people to use with their phones and tablets, since they are good for calls and podcasts.

Many people mod their D4 to get greater bass. If you did that, it could be a good buy. But you should get them at $8 during sales, not $10.

So I would recommend at ED9 as the most hassle-free and general all-round experience. I was amazed at what it could do for $14 CDN. But if 'musical' tuning is really important to you, than go with MH755 from a reputable seller. If bass is important, mod a D4.

Can vouch for Kanoya for the MH755. I've got 3 legit pairs of MH750 from ebay - https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/133004566343
But also a fake pair from somewhere else.

Dec 14, 2019 at 3:19 PM Post #21,750 of 31,833
Since you mentioned tin t2, it is also one of my choices. But others said it lacks in bass, what do they mean? As in it lacks so much? Or it still give a good bass?

genck gave you a good answer.

Let me just say, Tin T2 is neutral toned, it is not designed to emphasize bass, but just to put a bassline alongside the treble. Many say that the T2 still doesn't pull as much detail and information from the bass as it could. I personally find it thin on bass. It is subdued from what it could be.

If you want an IEM with phat beats, don't buy the T2. Part of enjoying the T2 means recognizing what it is good for. What makes it special is that it, unlike most sub-$50 Chi-Fi, it doesn't have that 'consumer-friendly' V-shape, and lacks some of the peakiness of Chi-fi common in that range.

Instead, it's a more 'reference' tuning, trying to play you the album without colouring it too much. And that means that the tuning for the instruments is pretty okay. You can get good classical, maybe jazz, and the detail is good. So buying a T2 gives you a different sort of sound and experience than a V90 or even a Y*nY*o V2. [The V2 is 'warmer,' and the tuning is moved away from the 'neutral' somewhat.]

By contrast, a TRN V90 gives you huge bass information and detail, similar to the ZS-10 Pro. They can pull in all sorts of sounds and beat information that the T2 will blissfully ignore, in my experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back