CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Dec 13, 2019 at 3:42 PM Post #21,706 of 31,833
I have the third gen V2. It's a good package for the money as it comes with a nice carrying case and the stock cable is actually quite nice. That said, nowadays there's just better options for the money when in comes to sound quality. The main issue with the V2 3rd gen for me is the bass which bleeds way too much into the mids. It can make them sound boomy and overly warm despite the highs actually being quite nice and sparkly.

If SQ is your priority then I'd recommend the **** Pro as better option for a "straight down cable" IEM. They're just better tuned overall.

I agree on the V2. Can't listen to it anymore, because of the slow, boomy bass, bleeding into mids. The package is nice tho. I like the T2 much, much more, and find it to have plenty bass with a good seal, but bad cable and no carry case is annoying.

The mh755 is a nice Harman iem, with extra bass, actually way too much for me but it's reasonably fast so not as annoying as the V2 for me. I need to try the "less bass" mod.

Been underwhelmed by the blon but apparently there are variations of this iem and I got the bad one. Not interested in getting the good one, as the fit was horrible and I hated the look, no point chasing it when I have a kanas pro I really love.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #21,707 of 31,833
I think your opinions are accurate. I use the V2 for slower music, so its shortcomings don't bother me. The Tin T2 is very capable, but I have fit issues.

I haven't really warmed up to the Blon, and gave it away to someone else who really enjoyed it. I got one of the gunmetal colour ones back when there were only two colours.

For sure, I could see that it had a more natural tone. But its technicalities were just too weak for the music I wanted to enjoy. It's more for slow music. And the bass was boomy or leaking into the mids.

The BLON is good news overall, because it's going to make many future Chi-Fi IEMs tuned towards Harman/Oxygen. And there will be a BLON with better fit coming out, which is good because I couldn't get it to seal completely no matter what.

MH755 fits me great, though.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:33 PM Post #21,708 of 31,833
I haven't really warmed up to the Blon, and gave it away to someone else who really enjoyed it. I got one of the gunmetal colour ones back when there were only two colours.

I am only aware of two colors still... gun(sometimes called brown) and silver. I don't see any others in the listings.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #21,709 of 31,833
OK. I guess what I meant was I bought one of the OG ones, as I understand they are shipping some very slight variants now.

I think it is maybe just the bag that is different now. I got the original canvas bag, now I understand some models ship with black bags. There has been speculation that the newer models are slightly different, leading to chatter about whether the new ones are as good. But it's just speculation for me, as I haven't heard much about it.

Dec 13, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #21,710 of 31,833
OK. I guess what I meant was I bought one of the OG ones, as I understand they are shipping some very slight variants now.

I think it is maybe just the bag that is different now. I got the original canvas bag, now I understand some models ship with black bags. There has been speculation that the newer models are slightly different, leading to chatter about whether the new ones are as good. But it's just speculation for me, as I haven't heard much about it.

I see now what you mean... apparently the bags have been different colors. Probably they ran out of the first ones and maybe just decided to source what they could get quickly with these things selling so fast.

I thought maybe you knew something that I had not heard about ... like new colors in red or blue... or even black. Haha... now it will probably happen:)

Dec 13, 2019 at 7:44 PM Post #21,711 of 31,833
Alright, so the CCA C12 arrived today, I'll try to give some initial impressions but keep in mind I am by no means experienced when it comes to describing sound or reviewing audio products. I've also been using the Sennheiser IE80 as my main IEM for quite a while now so I'm very used to its wide soundstage and imaging, great separation and very dark, bass focused sound.

The C12s seem very clear and upfront in terms of sound. Definitely a lot more bright than I'm used to but not quite too bright for my treble sensitive ears. Some songs I listened to were pushing it with treble and had one song where sibilance was an issue (D.A.N.C.E by Justice which has some pretty sibilant vocals regardless). Soundstage and imaging are solid but not nearly as good as my IE80 to my ears. Bass extends well and is present enough to have body. Has enough of a difference in sound compared to my other IEMs and headphones to be a breath of fresh air.

I found I got the best fit with medium Spinfits after trying several ear tips. Quite fond of the cable as it's my first time using a braided cable though I can see why people have issues with it tangling.

Pretty happy that I gave the C12 a try, serves as a good reference point for the next ones I purchase and it sounds pretty great in its own way.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:08 PM Post #21,713 of 31,833
Now for the tough decision. With the AliExpress sale ending in under 7 hours, do I order the TRN V90 and/or BA5? Do I give in to the hype surrounding the Blon BL-03 and add those to my cart too? :thinking:

There are always more sales. Do not let time pressure you. This sale will end and the Christmas ones will begin. Then the January sale... and a big one in March... and July and others in between.... As for now, just buy what you actually want and can afford.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:17 PM Post #21,714 of 31,833
Will you also recommend trn im2?

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/trn-im2.23956/reviews#review-23020

I wrote a small amateur review on the TRN IM2 last night. It does most areas well, dirt cheap and good quality resin shell, good technicalities. Will make a good intro set to those new to CHIFI, but for owners of a few CHIFI already, it will probably not stand out. It does have overly recessed mids and an artificial timbre, so if you are picky about these 2 areas, look elsewhere. Good price to performance ratio nevertheless.

I think your opinions are accurate. I use the V2 for slower music, so its shortcomings don't bother me. The Tin T2 is very capable, but I have fit issues.

For sure, I could see that it had a more natural tone. But its technicalities were just too weak for the music I wanted to enjoy. It's more for slow music. And the bass was boomy or leaking into the mids.

The BLON is good news overall, because it's going to make many future Chi-Fi IEMs tuned towards Harman/Oxygen. And there will be a BLON with better fit coming out, which is good because I couldn't get it to seal completely no matter what.

MH755 fits me great, though.

Yeah the new BLON BL-03 MK2 has supposedly a drop in midbass quantity with a longer nozzle for better fit. Otherwise you can consider the BLON Cardinal/Bluejay. It is almost double the price of the BLON BL-03, but has very good fit/isolation with better soundstage and technicalities. Tuning is similar to the BLON BL-03, but it has more subbass quantity and extension, so not the most ideal if you already found the BL-03's bass too much.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:30 PM Post #21,715 of 31,833
There are always more sales. Do not let time pressure you. This sale will end and the Christmas ones will begin. Then the January sale... and a big one in March... and July and others in between.... As for now, just buy what you actually want and can afford.

I see, thanks for letting me know, I'll likely order one of the three and maybe a couple balanced cables to go with the ES100 I just got. They probably have so many sales to make people like me think it's now or never lol.

By the way, WOW, the ES100 sounds fantastic after listening to IEMs through my phone for the longest time. Crazy how much of a difference it made with my IE80, felt like it opened up the soundstage, clarity and imaging by a significant amount.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:57 PM Post #21,717 of 31,833
I'm new to Head-Fi, but found this thread.
What is the best IEM for 10 bucks? One that you can just enjoy music with and not pinpoint sound signature and so on?
If I had $10 and needed an IEM, It would probably be KZ ED9. My second choice would be NiceHCK EP10. 3rd choice would be EZAUDIO D4.

Dec 13, 2019 at 8:58 PM Post #21,718 of 31,833
What is the best IEM for 10 bucks? One that you can just enjoy music with and not pinpoint sound signature and so on?

IMHO it would be the Sony MH755. Harmarnish tuned, great timbre and not too bad technicalities for the price of a starbucks coffee. Crinacle ranks it as a "B-" and he is very strict with reviews usually, with most of his reviewed gear costing upwards of thousands of dollars.
Do note the cable is non detachable and super short and microphonic, so u might need to use some extension cables or do a MMCX/recable mod. Isolation is slightly below average, so not the best for transit (especially with the microphonic cables rubbing on you, there'lll be lots of buzzing noises).
There're many fakes in the market too, so ask the others and look for legit reviews on products before buying. (black coloured ones are usually fake, so to be safe stick to white coloured ones).

Dec 13, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #21,720 of 31,833

If I had $10 and needed an IEM, It would probably be KZ ED9. My second choice would be NiceHCK EP10. 3rd choice would be EZAUDIO D4.

I could be convinced that a recabled Sony mh755 would be end game for soooooo many people.

The first thing that popped into my mind was the KZ ED9. The next was was the Sony MH755...if you can easily get one and have it recabled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back