CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Nov 13, 2018 at 4:41 AM Post #14,161 of 31,833
Was anyone able to take advantage of that $50 off $100 aliexpress coupon? Apparently it was available on the homepage the other day

Nov 13, 2018 at 5:11 AM Post #14,162 of 31,833
Saw this interesting conversation on Facebook in a post about the new TRN IM1

" Zul Helme Larry Fulton No relations to the Tiandirenhe store in aliexpress? released some models such as the TD08 (which looked kinda cool but was middling)

also, someone mentioned TRN is also under Audboss/Tenhz, now that's surprising

Larry Fulton Zul Helme: The official TRN store is on 1688, not AliExpress. Yes, Tenhz is a sister company of TRN (although not directly related). Audbos was the former name of TenHz.

You see, TRN was started by two guys (let’s call them “Mr Money” and “Mr Brain”). Mr Money is the co-founder of TenHz/Audbos. He is the finance supporter behind TRN. On the other hand, Mr Brain is the technical guy behind TRN (also a former engineer of KZ) but he has no influence over TenHz products. I hope this clears your doubts.

Zul Helme Larry Fulton ah, so its true then. Someone said the 12BA and 6BA will be under Tenhz and costs more than usd$300

personally, I'm excited to see the results, the P4 and P4 Pro have been receiving positive impressions and having more leeway with the tuning would definitely benefit them.

Having tested SE846 and Andromeda, the dream is really to get that level of SQ for less than $500, haha

thanks for the info, can't wait for the next release

Larry Fulton Zul Helme: 12 and 16BAs will be sold under the TRN badge. It is currently developing by Mr Brain, using Knowles BA drivers. No news yet as the 12 BAs beta turned out quite bad. I have the beta with me.

Price-wise will be under US$300 I am sure. By the way, have you tried JH Audio Layla? That’s the reference for the 12 BA.

Zul Helme Larry Fulton damn, I misread that, I thought its 6BA, haha.

whoa, 16BA is a lot, now that's really something.

lots will be waiting for info on that model, I reckon. I'll wait for the price announcement first

Larry Fulton Zul Helme: I must warn you beforehand, it won’t be cheap."

Thats some very interesting information didn't know all those stores are connected and that the person designing them worked for KZ. Also a 16BA IEM for under $300 wow that will be interesting.

Really? Its all about the no. of BAs and/or DDs in a shell. Turning out to be a mad race to see who can fit the most in a shell. Do they not understand it is not all about the no. of drivers? I bet they do. Given the obsession amongst gear sl*ts to get hold of the next big release stuffed with a load of drivers, I see why the makers choose this route.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 5:23 AM Post #14,164 of 31,833
9hvCywd.png

Not mine; found it on reddit

Nov 13, 2018 at 6:05 AM Post #14,166 of 31,833
There were very few coupons. It appeared during the last 30 mins of the sale. I couldn't claim one.

Nov 13, 2018 at 7:52 AM Post #14,167 of 31,833
I love the DA3. It's my daily set-up. I sometimes add the Topping NX2 or one of the FIIO amps to give it a bit more body. The DA3 has a nice open sound and very good extension both ways, I hope you'll like it
I am very looking forward to receiving it! Read quite abit and the lack of juice issue is one of the main problem but i am fine with it. It it really bothers me then i might get another amp xD

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #14,168 of 31,833
Nov 13, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #14,169 of 31,833
Really? Its all about the no. of BAs and/or DDs in a shell. Turning out to be a mad race to see who can fit the most in a shell. Do they not understand it is not all about the no. of drivers? I bet they do. Given the obsession amongst gear sl*ts to get hold of the next big release stuffed with a load of drivers, I see why the makers choose this route.

sigh, again, being a devil's advocate here. Small companies have little choice but to cram more drivers so that they can a)create hype/interest b)allows them the leeway to fine-tune the sound sig more instead of relying on intangibles such as shell design/material/driver quality (more drivers=more variables to adjust in tuning in terms of crossover). You can bet they know if they had the capability to make a good DD/BA that they'd cram that inside instead. But even big companies spend years and god-knows how much funding to research such stuff. Hence stuff like the RE2000 or CA Atlas being priced as they are.

I should make a sticky on this stuff, lol, twice in a week already.

Nov 13, 2018 at 10:48 AM Post #14,170 of 31,833
Wow that's a tough one. There's a lot of close ties; it's like splitting hairs.

There's also so much gear I haven't heard (for example, most of the 2018 KZ stuff, no TFZ products, no >$1k IEMs, no Nine Tails, no BGVP DM6 or DMG, etc.). I only rec stuff I've heard or own.

You can get a pretty good idea of the stuff I own from my profile. Most all of it is <$100, so my recommendations are based in that realm of experience. I'm sure if I was used to $2500 IEMs, everything I currently own would sound like 'junk' in comparison.

I appreciate many different tunings, but my ideal tuning leans towards:
  • A mild/shallow v or u shape with slightly elevated mid-bass
  • Energetic (but not piercing/sibilant/fatiguing) treble
  • Good clarity
  • Good extension on both ends (although some stuff has rolled-off sub bass which is acceptable even though it's not my 1st choice)
  • It shouldn't be dark or veiled
  • I don't like overly forward/boosted mids. I would rather have them be flat or slightly recessed
  • A fun and balanced overall sound
  • If something has to be forward I would prefer forward treble
You'll see my below choices reflect my preferences.

Also be aware that factors such as age and genres affect things. I don't listen to classical/orchestral for example, and I am over 40 so my tolerance for treble is higher that if I was 20.

So with that all said, I would say my favorite IEMs out of everything I've heard or owned would be ANY on this list (which is not in any particular order):

- Timmkoo C631
- Modded BlitzWolf BW-ES1
- TinAudio T2
- Pioneer SE-CH9T
- UiiSii CM5
- Magaosi K5 v2.0
- Campfire Audio Comet
- KZ ZS6
- KZ ED9
- KZ EDR1
- Magaosi BK50
- VSonic VSD5S
- BQEYZ KB1

Some of the above do some things better than another. Some are good all-rounders. Some are extreme value champions (EDR1). But if I was stranded on a desert island, I would be happy taking any of them.
You should get Yourself IT01 :wink:
Yup, that matches my feelings on the BK50. The only difference is I don’t have the original version to compare. But the mmcx version sounds great to me.
Newer BK50 has different BA as far as I know. Older should have more coherent/balanced sound. But difference is not much.
During the 11.11 sale, I got:
- KZ ZSN for €16,50
I wonder who won... me or AliExpress.
That`s why I never follow those "sale madness days". You got ripped off. Got my ZSN for wife for 13.6€ without any coupons from GB.

Nov 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM Post #14,171 of 31,833

Newer BK50 has different BA as far as I know. Older should have more coherent/balanced sound. But difference is not much.

That`s why I never follow those "sale madness days". You got ripped off. Got my ZSN for wife for 13.6€ without any coupons from GB.

You're right, I do need to get an IT01. I have been waiting for it to go on sale, but it's always $99. I make it a point to never buy anything unless I get it on sale or otherwise get some deal somehow. I know ibasso enforces MAP pricing, but still I hold out hope that someone will have it for cheaper (even used on HF classifieds or ebay).

As far as the ZSN, a lot of people always forget about ebay these days. 2 weeks before 11.11 even started, I had already ordered my ZSN for less than Gearbest, and less than the eventual 11.11 sale price at most sellers. It's due to arrive today, while 11.11 orders always take ~4 weeks due to the sheer volume of packages leaving China.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #14,172 of 31,833

Excluding some notable exceptions (like the T2 for ~25€), the Ali's sale is worth it only if you manage to snatch some coupons.

Nov 13, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #14,173 of 31,833
Nice! Will check em out. Im very tempted to get the zs6 but heard the highs are rather sharp.

I wouln't go with KZ if you need smooth treble... :)

What are the best IEMs for comfort/isolation? I was looking at an all-BA (since they don't need to be vented) like the KZ AS10 for a long flight in a couple of months

If you don't mind some leakage, Final Audio E5000 is a great one :)

Otherwise, KZ AS10 is really comfortable, if it is not too big for your ears, and it isolates fairly well

Users who are viewing this thread

Back