CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 28, 2016 at 2:31 AM Post #856 of 31,834
  I got the ROCK ZIRCON yesterday. Mids and highs are quite nice, but the boosted bass spoils the overall balance. On many recordings, the kick drum sounds like a "thud" rather than a "kick". With most songs, I'd probably just think "Oh, this is a little too bassy", but with some of my bass-heaviest tracks, the boom makes it nearly unlistenable. 

Not bad for $16.88 (Amazon), but not great. 

I also received the KZ ATE today, and it's even bassier than the Rock Zircon. But it sure is comfortable. The highs aren't as nice and shimmery as the Zircon, but not bad. It's just too bass-heavy. I know a lot of people like that, but I don't. 

ATE bassier than the Zircon?? 
confused_face_2.gif

What ATE version did you ordered?

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #857 of 31,834
I got yet another batch of in-ear headphones and earphones today. This time I got the good stuff.
cool.gif

Firs off the cheapest one of the bunch, the VE Monk:
They sound... Quite good actually, they have a clarity to the sound that I did not expect at all. Still there is the inherent lack of lower frequencies bass that most earbuds struggle with. honestly it's a real shame that these are not in-ear headphones, because I truly believe that the drivers are fantastic. They just struggle with getting a seal on the ear like most earbuds do (I can hear a significant difference in sound if I forcefully push them in my ear, but that is truly uncomfortable to say the least), it may just be my ears having an abnormal shape though (doubt it as almost every IEM I try fit with the medium tip straight away). So while the drivers sound really good they are lacking in the basic design aspects. Also I really, really hate earbuds so that might influence my view on these.

Next up is the Tennmak Piano:
Wow do these look classy. I ordered the black version and while I expected a plain glossy plastic casing these are truly unique to look at. The sides are finished in a black metallic flake that really makes them look good. The end tips of the cables are finished with a sort of thicker plastic tube that makes them stick to any shape you bend them to. This is great for those that plan to wear them with the cables on top of their ears, but not so much for people like me who prefer to just have it hanging. The sound on these though is really something, they sound quite balanced and actually manage to have a decent soundstage. The bass is tight and controlled with a fantastic mid-range. These really seem to fit with what I like to hear from my headphones.

Then there is the Tennmak Pro:
They don’t look as fancy as the Piano, but still look quite professional. The cable on these is better than on the piano in my opinion, it still has a tube on the end to make it comfortable to wear over the top of the ears, but it’s far softer. The downside is that it doesn’t stay on top of the ears as well as the one from the Piano does. They are also far more comfortable to wear than the Piano since everything on the housing is rounded off and fits with your ear more ergonomically (the Piano does this well to, but has a flat backside which make them less comfortable). Sound wise these have a more rounded off top than the piano which can sound a bit sharp as times (similar to what I have heard from Sennheiser IEMs). The bas is also more pronounced in these and they handle the lower frequencies better than the Piano, but at the same time it’s less controlled than the Piano does it and not as tight. The mid-range is also quite good, but the Piano does it better. All in all, it makes it a more laid back headphone than the Piano, and probably more suited for the masses. The Piano is better for critical listening though.

That’s it for now. I’m still waiting on the last pair of IEMs from aliexpress (Xiaomi Hybrid), so I’ll post another first impressions post for those when they arrive as well. I’m not sure if people find it useful at all though, but I already did it to 5 pairs now so I might as well see it through to the end.

As for the reviews, I’m going to spend the next month or so really listening to these and get them properly burnt in
etysmile.gif
. After that I might do a full review for each of them (I figure the more reviews we have the better it is, especially with these lesser known brands).

Thanks. I was about to buy the Tennmak Pro, but you scared me away. I don't like a bassy, "laid-back", "rounded off top" sound. I'm looking for a more neutral audiophile sound. Piano??

Jul 28, 2016 at 3:21 AM Post #858 of 31,834
Jul 28, 2016 at 4:24 AM Post #859 of 31,834
Thanks. I was about to buy the Tennmak Pro, but you scared me away. I don't like a bassy, "laid-back", "rounded off top" sound. I'm looking for a more neutral audiophile sound. Piano??

Yes the Piano would fit that well, I actually spent a long time listening to classical on them yesterday. If I were to compare them I would say that the Piano really shines in on Violin, Chello and Horn instruments. The Pro though does quite well on electric bass and actually handles itself quite well in several genres. As for the pros being bassy... They are bassy compared to what I would consider reference headphones, but they are by no means even close to bassy like for example beats.

If I were to compare them to headphones from western brands, I would say that the Piano more resembles something like the AKG k550 in sound signature. The Pro on the other hand sounds more like Beyer Dynamic DT770. Unfortunately I haven't listened to many western IEMs yet so I can't compare much to that.

Either way both of them are terrific headphones for less than 30$ and to me at least sound more like they should be priced around 70$.

Edit:
Just be careful which source you run the Pianos from, because the treble can be really "sharp" as in if someone stuck a knife in your ear. It's one of the reasons why I compare them to the AKG K550 and the treble is similar to the Sennheiser CX400II (just more detailed) as both of those are really dependent on the source to not over exaggerate the treble. A good example of them behaving different dependent on the source is that my Huawei P9 makes them cut like a knife and my HRT Microstreamer softens them up just enough for them to be pleasant to listen to. Songs that really are dependent on this is for example AC/DC "It’s a Long Way to the Top" where the bag pipes only sound good on a controlled treble.

Also I took some pictures to show off the truly gorgeous body of these IEMS:

Jul 28, 2016 at 6:33 AM Post #860 of 31,834
Sendiy M2 is quite good under $50. it is fun to listen on it with silver filter: rich treble and deep bass, and with black filter: good vocal. 
Its signature might not be similar with that of HLSX808. This means it might be a new version.
This is my guess from the information : the signature of M2 was like that of HLSX 808.

In my impression, HLSX 808 has keen edge of sounds like sharp knife on treble. my M2 sounds not like knife but like beating thick cymbal.
For example, people who is treble sensitive might easily be able to use M2.

It has soundstage as wide as that of HLSX 808

**** UE is also easy to recommend to people who do not like what they like. 
M2 is on the superior league of UE. 

I have not tried ED9's nozzle to M2 yet. 

(my M2 spends 20+ hours to burn. )

Jul 28, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #861 of 31,834
Yes the Piano would fit that well, I actually spent a long time listening to classical on them yesterday. If I were to compare them I would say that the Piano really shines in on Violin, Chello and Horn instruments. The Pro though does quite well on electric bass and actually handles itself quite well in several genres. As for the pros being bassy... They are bassy compared to what I would consider reference headphones, but they are by no means even close to bassy like for example beats.

If I were to compare them to headphones from western brands, I would say that the Piano more resembles something like the AKG k550 in sound signature. The Pro on the other hand sounds more like Beyer Dynamic DT770. Unfortunately I haven't listened to many western IEMs yet so I can't compare much to that.

Either way both of them are terrific headphones for less than 30$ and to me at least sound more like they should be priced around 70$.

Edit:
Just be careful which source you run the Pianos from, because the treble can be really "sharp" as in if someone stuck a knife in your ear. It's one of the reasons why I compare them to the AKG K550 and the treble is similar to the Sennheiser CX400II (just more detailed) as both of those are really dependent on the source to not over exaggerate the treble. A good example of them behaving different dependent on the source is that my Huawei P9 makes them cut like a knife and my HRT Microstreamer softens them up just enough for them to be pleasant to listen to. Songs that really are dependent on this is for example AC/DC "It’s a Long Way to the Top" where the bag pipes only sound good on a controlled treble.

+1 rainmaker. i would not describe the pro as bassy or laid back; they're actually quite forward, with just a bit more bass quantity/depth than neutral. there's a hint of warmth and treble isn't hyper-extended, but overall clarity and detail is vg--voices, percussion, etc. are reproduced quite naturally.

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:00 AM Post #862 of 31,834

Edit:

How is the new cable?

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #863 of 31,834
+1 rainmaker. i would not describe the pro as bassy or laid back; they're actually quite forward, with just a bit more bass quantity/depth than neutral. there's a hint of warmth and treble isn't hyper-extended, but overall clarity and detail is vg--voices, percussion, etc. are reproduced quite naturally.

You seem far better at putting it in to words than me :p So yea, that's what I meant by bassy. After all it's quite relative to what you are used to from before.

The pros are also the most comfortable IEM I have ever used.

How is the new cable?

I assume the old one would be like the one on the Pros? in that case I think I wrote a bit about it in my first impressions post, but I'll repeat it here and go a bit more in to detail.

The Pro cable is thicker all over than the Piano cable, but the tubing on the end (closest to the IEMs) is far softer than the Piano and it will more or less stay "limp" no matter what you do to it.

The Piano cable (which I assume is the new one), is far thinner and tangles far easier than the Pro cable. It is also shorter for the left driver (where the mic is) than for the right driver, which is both a positive and a negative depending on how you use it. The big positive with the Piano cable is the "tube" close to the drivers, it will stick to any shape that you bent it to. So it's a big positive for comfort when worn over the ear, which lets be honest both of these need to be worn like that (I tried differently but it really doesn't work well).

Here I have straighetened them out as much as I can:

Piano

Pro

Length difference between Left and Right on the Piano:

Cable thickness between Piano and Pro:

If there is anything else you're curious about between the cables then don't hesitate to ask :smile:

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #864 of 31,834
You seem far better at putting it in to words than me
tongue.gif
So yea, that's what I meant by bassy. After all it's quite relative to what you are used to from before.

The pros are also the most comfortable IEM I have ever used.
I assume the old one would be like the one on the Pros? in that case I think I wrote a bit about it in my first impressions post, but I'll repeat it here and go a bit more in to detail.

The Pro cable is thicker all over than the Piano cable, but the tubing on the end (closest to the IEMs) is far softer than the Piano and it will more or less stay "limp" no matter what you do to it.

The Piano cable (which I assume is the new one), is far thinner and tangles far easier than the Pro cable. It is also shorter for the left driver (where the mic is) than for the right driver, which is both a positive and a negative depending on how you use it. The big positive with the Piano cable is the "tube" close to the drivers, it will stick to any shape that you bent it to. So it's a big positive for comfort when worn over the ear, which lets be honest both of these need to be worn like that (I tried differently but it really doesn't work well).

Here I have straighetened them out as much as I can:

Piano

Pro

Length difference between Left and Right on the Piano:

Cable thickness between Piano and Pro:

If there is anything else you're curious about between the cables then don't hesitate to ask
smile.gif

Thanks for the info. That looks to me like the original cable. What date did you order the Piano?

Jul 28, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #865 of 31,834
Thanks for the info. That looks to me like the original cable. What date did you order the Piano?

They were ordered the same day as the rest of the batch, 15:46 Jul. 12 2016.

I did read something about a new cable coming out, but I thought I was a bit to early with my order for it. From what you say though I seem to have ordered not to long after they made the change.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #866 of 31,834
They were ordered the same day as the rest of the batch, 15:46 Jul. 12 2016.

I did read something about a new cable coming out, but I thought I was a bit to early with my order for it. From what you say though I seem to have ordered not to long after they made the change.

Actually the new cable was delayed and not available until after 20th Jul. That's a real shame but personally I find the original cable okay, not great though.

Apparently the new cables are available separately from Tony's store or you can try other mmcx if you have available. The one from my Highsenior iem works perfectly with Piano.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:12 AM Post #867 of 31,834
Actually the new cable was delayed and not available until after 20th Jul. That's a real shame but personally I find the original cable okay, not great though.

Apparently the new cables are available separately from Tony's store or you can try other mmcx if you have available. The one from my Highsenior iem works perfectly with Piano.

I see, at any rate the cable is fine as it is. It's far more likely that I just make my own cable if I get annoyed with this one :wink:

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #868 of 31,834
I wanted to like the original cable on the Piano, but the different length sides really bothered me.  Is the Pro supposed to get the new cable?  If so, I may order that.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #869 of 31,834
  I wanted to like the original cable on the Piano, but the different length sides really bothered me.  Is the Pro supposed to get the new cable?  If so, I may order that.

Only the Piano has the new cable but it can be bought separately and is also compatible with the Pro.

Jul 28, 2016 at 10:30 AM Post #870 of 31,834

No idea, but the pro cable is already a lot different from the piano cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back