CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Jul 22, 2016 at 2:27 PM Post #842 of 31,834
Sorry, that question was a little unclear. I'm referring to the ventilation ports for the driver.

looks to be directly open, but they are suposedly open on the back as well though that looks to be more of a design choise rather than an actual open grill.

Jul 22, 2016 at 5:53 PM Post #843 of 31,834
looks to be directly open, but they are suposedly open on the back as well though that looks to be more of a design choise rather than an actual open grill.

Okay, cool. Thank you for checking. Mine has the vents glued shut. Behind the rear grill is solid metal so they're not open back unfortunately. With the vents on mine closed up, they're a fully sealed earphone and probably why they aren't bassy at all; just a slight boost in quantity above the B3 Pro 1

Jul 22, 2016 at 6:52 PM Post #844 of 31,834
Okay, cool. Thank you for checking. Mine has the vents glued shut. Behind the rear grill is solid metal so they're not open back unfortunately. With the vents on mine closed up, they're a fully sealed earphone and probably why they aren't bassy at all; just a slight boost in quantity above the B3 Pro 1

Well that sucks... Let me check how they sound if I block off the vents.

Edit: Nah they are still quite bass heavy, in fact I don't really notice any real difference in sound with the vents taped over.

It should be mentioned that I might be a bit judgmental on products with more bass than what I consider "neutral" or "reference", so yeah... at any rate I can see these being quite popular as they fit a signature that seems to be in more demand.

Edit2: actually there seems to be some difference, but not in the way you anticipated. As they are out of the box they are more "airy" than what they sound with the tape on. It's hard to describe, but it's similar to the difference I hear when switching between open back headphones and closed ones (just more subtle as were not talking about a large vent here).

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:14 PM Post #845 of 31,834
I think the cheapest KZ iem that you could buy is the EDR1 and EDR2

I got a tons of EDR2 I've really liked it for the price and has a great bass that is similar to a more expensive SoundMagic E10 but something about the mids and treble sounds artificial to me more like a bit of robotic, just a very slight. For the price that is under 4 dollars it's definitely 5/5.

Jul 23, 2016 at 12:20 PM Post #846 of 31,834
  I think the cheapest KZ iem that you could buy is the EDR1 and EDR2

I got a tons of EDR2 I've really liked it for the price and has a great bass that is similar to a more expensive SoundMagic E10 but something about the mids and treble sounds artificial to me more like a bit of robotic, just a very slight. For the price that is under 4 dollars it's definitely 5/5.

No doubt that for the price they are fantastic, but then again it's for the price of 5$. So I'm curious to see how it holds up to slightly more expensive IEMs and wheter or not there is any real merrit to buying them unless you are on a really restricted budget. For my part though... I just think it's fun to try out new audio gear, it doesnt have to be good it just has to be something I havent tried yet 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 23, 2016 at 1:12 PM Post #847 of 31,834
  No doubt that for the price they are fantastic, but then again it's for the price of 5$. So I'm curious to see how it holds up to slightly more expensive IEMs and wheter or not there is any real merrit to buying them unless you are on a really restricted budget. For my part though... I just think it's fun to try out new audio gear, it doesnt have to be good it just has to be something I havent tried yet 
rolleyes.gif

Yes they are terrifically fantastic and If my memory serves me right compared to SoundMagic E10 the bass slightly has faster decay but I find E10's bass to be more enjoyable while the mids sounds a bit laid back and robotic, there is a nice space with the mids between the lows and highs. The highs seems recessed and cymbals sounds thin and soft, a bit fatiguing after hours and hours of listening. It doesn't sound better than ed9 and ed3c but only in a very small margin and considering its price it would be a better buy and it's far more lighter than ED9.

Me too I want to try everything below 15 dollars :)

Jul 25, 2016 at 8:50 AM Post #848 of 31,834
Got yet another IEM in the mail today, it's the DZAT DF-10. I must say I really like the look of these, western IEM makers has a lot to learn from the growing Chinese brands when it comes to style. They are also quite comfortable to wear even though they are just as big as my Trinity Delta II, I suspect it's because of the low weight from the wood construction.

first impression on sound:
Straight out of the box they sound far more balanced than the EDR2, but that is to be expected at the price of 17.85$ from S.M.S.L-China. They handle EDM quite well without delivering to much bass, and while the EDR2 had quite "boomy" bass these sound far tighter. Still there is something in the sound that I don't like, it's like there is something there (or something missing) that just makes the sound slightly off. They are still quite pleasant to listen to, but I can't shake that feeling in some genres. They seem to handle rock quite well though as the mids are quite well represented, making drums sound quite good. when it comes to the sound-stage though... They are lacking as most cheaper IEMs are, they are even on the verge of sounding "muddy" at times.

Still, they may change after a good burn-in. So like the EDR2 and my other headphones I'm going to wait until I have at least 100 hours of burn-in before I do a full review (the EDR2s are on a constant burn-in with a really long play-list with rock on my Sansa Fuze).

Edit:
Oh and in case anyone is curious as to what my source is, it's the HRT Microstreamer and the high resolution lossy format on Deezer.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #849 of 31,834
Rainmaker91 - remove foam pieces from nozzles on Your EDR2 
wink.gif
 It will make them better. But If You are EDM fan, then EDR2 is not Your cup of tea because it has littlebit congested soundstage in middle-front and quite warmish sound signature with somewhat intimate vocals presentation. 
I don`t know why Your got Yourself DZAT DF-10 ? Are You following audiobudget advice? Stay away from that webpage unless You are ready to take all those "leaderboard" impressions with huge grain of salt! 
You want great cheap IEM for EDM? Get Yourself Yinjw wooden "IE800" and use Huawei Honour tips (or some other wide-bore silicone tips that seal perfectly): http://bit.ly/2aq7cRK

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:24 AM Post #850 of 31,834
  Rainmaker91 - remove foam pieces from nozzles on Your EDR2 
wink.gif
 It will make them better. But If You are EDM fan, then EDR2 is not Your cup of tea because it has littlebit congested soundstage in middle-front and quite warmish sound signature with somewhat intimate vocals presentation. 
I don`t know why Your got Yourself DZAT DF-10 ? Are You following audiobudget advice? Stay away from that webpage unless You are ready to take all those "leaderboard" impressions with huge grain of salt! 
You want great cheap IEM for EDM? Get Yourself Yinjw wooden "IE800" and use Huawei Honour (or some other wide-bore silicone tips that seal perfectly): http://bit.ly/2aq7cRK

Nah it's just one of many I have bought to test for fun. My daily users are my Trinity Delta V II at the moment so I'm fine on that front. I keep posting my impressions here though as there seemed to be some desire to get some input on the units when I ordered them.

As for my music preferences... It really varies a lot, I listen to almost any genre except rap... Generally speaking though I most often listen to classic rock, but it depends a lot on my mood.

I have no idea how the Honor sounds but I'm gussing it's similar to my Huawei P9, which is quite decent. Still I prefer my Microstreamer, but it all depends on the occasion.

As for the IEMs you posted... I'm making another list for my second batch of orders so I'll make sure to add them to it.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:33 AM Post #851 of 31,834

I have no idea how the Honor sounds but I'm gussing it's similar to my Huawei P9, which is quite decent. 

I was talking only about Huawei Honor silicone tips not about IEM itself. Yinjw wooden "IE800" + those Huawei silicone tips (fully inserted down the nozzle) are great match.

Jul 25, 2016 at 9:37 AM Post #852 of 31,834
I was talking only about Huawei Honor silicone tips not about IEM itself. Yinjw wooden "IE800" + those Huawei silicone tips (fully inserted down the nozzle) are great match.

I see... in that case I'll see if I can get some of those as well.

Jul 26, 2016 at 4:55 PM Post #853 of 31,834
I just got myself a pair of
Winintone RG-EB601 - from Amazon.​

Does anyone know the difference between these are the Sendiy M2 and other M2 wood earphones?​

Really impressed with the sound and they have interchangeable filters ​

Jul 26, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #854 of 31,834
I got yet another batch of in-ear headphones and earphones today. This time I got the good stuff. :cool:

Firs off the cheapest one of the bunch, the VE Monk:
They sound... Quite good actually, they have a clarity to the sound that I did not expect at all. Still there is the inherent lack of lower frequencies bass that most earbuds struggle with. honestly it's a real shame that these are not in-ear headphones, because I truly believe that the drivers are fantastic. They just struggle with getting a seal on the ear like most earbuds do (I can hear a significant difference in sound if I forcefully push them in my ear, but that is truly uncomfortable to say the least), it may just be my ears having an abnormal shape though (doubt it as almost every IEM I try fit with the medium tip straight away). So while the drivers sound really good they are lacking in the basic design aspects. Also I really, really hate earbuds so that might influence my view on these.

Next up is the Tennmak Piano:
Wow do these look classy. I ordered the black version and while I expected a plain glossy plastic casing these are truly unique to look at. The sides are finished in a black metallic flake that really makes them look good. The end tips of the cables are finished with a sort of thicker plastic tube that makes them stick to any shape you bend them to. This is great for those that plan to wear them with the cables on top of their ears, but not so much for people like me who prefer to just have it hanging. The sound on these though is really something, they sound quite balanced and actually manage to have a decent soundstage. The bass is tight and controlled with a fantastic mid-range. These really seem to fit with what I like to hear from my headphones.

Then there is the Tennmak Pro:
They don’t look as fancy as the Piano, but still look quite professional. The cable on these is better than on the piano in my opinion, it still has a tube on the end to make it comfortable to wear over the top of the ears, but it’s far softer. The downside is that it doesn’t stay on top of the ears as well as the one from the Piano does. They are also far more comfortable to wear than the Piano since everything on the housing is rounded off and fits with your ear more ergonomically (the Piano does this well to, but has a flat backside which make them less comfortable). Sound wise these have a more rounded off top than the piano which can sound a bit sharp as times (similar to what I have heard from Sennheiser IEMs). The bas is also more pronounced in these and they handle the lower frequencies better than the Piano, but at the same time it’s less controlled than the Piano does it and not as tight. The mid-range is also quite good, but the Piano does it better. All in all, it makes it a more laid back headphone than the Piano, and probably more suited for the masses. The Piano is better for critical listening though.

That’s it for now. I’m still waiting on the last pair of IEMs from aliexpress (Xiaomi Hybrid), so I’ll post another first impressions post for those when they arrive as well. I’m not sure if people find it useful at all though, but I already did it to 5 pairs now so I might as well see it through to the end.

As for the reviews, I’m going to spend the next month or so really listening to these and get them properly burnt in :etysmile: . After that I might do a full review for each of them (I figure the more reviews we have the better it is, especially with these lesser known brands).

Jul 28, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #855 of 31,834
  Nano is the same isn't it? A very nice iem for $10 or so. Bass might be (FAR) too strong for some. 
tongue_smile.gif
 Zircon has a braided cable which means microphonics are practically 0. Good value for money and excellent build quality.

I got the ROCK ZIRCON yesterday. Mids and highs are quite nice, but the boosted bass spoils the overall balance. On many recordings, the kick drum sounds like a "thud" rather than a "kick". With most songs, I'd probably just think "Oh, this is a little too bassy", but with some of my bass-heaviest tracks, the boom makes it nearly unlistenable. 

Not bad for $16.88 (Amazon), but not great. 

I also received the KZ ATE today, and it's even bassier than the Rock Zircon. But it sure is comfortable. The highs aren't as nice and shimmery as the Zircon, but not bad. It's just too bass-heavy. I know a lot of people like that, but I don't. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back