CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Mar 8, 2018 at 3:30 AM Post #7,636 of 31,867
I recently reported my initial impression of the Focal Spark (on sale at $70 CAD) in comparison with the Urbanfun Hifi Mk I ($23 CAD).
Focal is a French manufacturer renowned for its loudspeakers and its high-end headphones such as the $4000 Utopia. They are relatively new to the iem scene. The Spark is their self-proclaimed entry-level model (presumably made either for entry-level ears or 2-year olds).

Both, the Urbs and the Focals have a superficially very similar image and the Urbs may excel with slightly more balanced and smoother mids.

But after spending a lot of time with the Focal Spark a huge difference crystallized out. The Urbs have a somewhat soft, bouncy mid bass (fatiguing to my ears) whereas the Focals have the hardest, dryest bass with the biggest depth around. You can cut it with a knife. In fact, I have not tried many iems with such a killer bass.

We conclude, the Focal Spark and the UrbanFun Hifi Mk are similar looking and sounding earphones that are set apart by their bass.

What eartips do you recommend for the urbanfun?
Hey, guys! New here and hoping someone can help me out with picking a new pair of IME's. I'd like to get something better than my regular skullcandies.

My price range is 50~ US dollars.

Looking for two things in particular ;

>Durability. They need to survive being tossed in my bag, stuffed into my pocket, me walking about campus, etc. IF they come with a case though, I'll definitely use it.
>Crisp, clear sound. I listen to a bunch of KPOP (e.g. music where emphasis is placed on the vocals, like so) and I'd love for them to be noticeable. Overall, I want stuff to be balanced.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I have done a bit of research on my own? Here's my wishlist. No clue if anyone here has experience with the IME's listed there but . . . yeah.
Tinaudio t2 :)

Mar 8, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #7,637 of 31,867
Just received the QKZ CK5 today.

cGBW7oZ.jpg

In short, it's nothing special, just your typical run-of-the-mill budget Chi-fi with an abundance of bass and recessed highs.

But for only $3 who's complaining? I can think of several other budget IEMs (non-Chifi) that cost more yet sound way worse than these.

Plus QKZ uses some of the best cables that looks and feel tough. My QKZ DM3 are coming soon so stay tuned.
Look like another re-brand by QKZ - Fonge T01

Mar 8, 2018 at 6:11 AM Post #7,638 of 31,867
Cheers, mates! When I get out of class I'll do a smidge more research & go for this Tin Audio T2.~

Actually, let me ask this. Anyone know of IEM's that fit my former criteria (e.g. durable. price range ~50 dollars) 'cept the bass is heavy hitting? & everything else isn't recessed?

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 6:41 AM Post #7,639 of 31,867
Cheers, mates! When I get out of class I'll do a smidge more research & go for this Tin Audio T2.~

Actually, let me ask this. Anyone know of IEM's that fit my former criteria (e.g. durable. price range ~50 dollars) 'cept the bass is heavy hitting? & everything else isn't recessed?

The Zhiyin Z5000 is quite popular and fit your criteria

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #7,640 of 31,867
Just compared Svara Red & Zhiyin Z5000. Svara Red has good bass but not as low as Z5000, Svara Red has wider soundstage probably due to cleaner treble. Both are great earphones, I find them both very comfortable. I would be happy with either

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #7,641 of 31,867
Just compared Svara Red & Zhiyin Z5000. Svara Red has good bass but not as low as Z5000, Svara Red has wider soundstage probably due to cleaner treble. Both are great earphones, I find them both very comfortable. I would be happy with either

For someone that likes the tinaudio t2, but sometimes want a little more bass, what you recommend? Also what tips you use for the Svara?

Mar 8, 2018 at 7:36 AM Post #7,642 of 31,867
Hey fellas, if I were to take TK12 and add more texture and definition to the bass, remove sibilance and harshness from the high end, do I end up closer to TK13 or K3 pro in the sub-$100 price range? Anything else in that range? Cheers
both the tk13 and the k3 are definitely warmer/smoother at the high end than the tk12, with less bass depth and emphasis--overall tonality of the tk13 is (predictably) closer to the tk12 than the k3's. i'd also look at the ibasso it01, which seems to be the new standard for a $99 iem.

Mar 8, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #7,643 of 31,867
Just read through that french forum about BGVP DS1. Apparently there were 2 batches that sounded very differently and some QC issues. Penon was contacted and asked for a return of V1 tuning, some people complaining that they didn't expect V2 since there was no notification about it (KZ style apparently), some people were asked to destroy their units so that they would receive replacements etc. Kinda surprised that Penon Audio would let this thing go this far given their reputation, especially since they used people as beta testers and they also couldn't have sold many units anyways, it's a shame that they are handling this worse than standard Aliexpress vendors, but at least some sort of dialogue is happening.

Anyways, on a more positive note, we will soon have KZ ZS10 as an option, will be interesting to see what KZ had done for the cheapest 5 driver IEM in the world (at least I assume it will be, it has the same cable as other KZ IEMs, standard plastic build etc.).

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:00 AM Post #7,645 of 31,867
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 9:58 AM Post #7,646 of 31,867
well thats a bummer to read about the bgvp ds1 ... I will receive it today... hope its the v1 ... penon didnt say anything about the v2 ... I contacted them today whats the deal about.. and which version they send to me.. I ordered the bgvp ds1 very early before the reviews so I have a chance to have v1 but who knows...

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #7,647 of 31,867
What eartips do you recommend for the urbanfun?

I use these eartips on most of my iems including the Urbanfun:
https://goo.gl/8Z9Xkb

They are of good quality/sturdy, and nicely colour coded.

4.5 mm is the right bore for most earphones (followed by 3.8 mm). When ordering, you have to indicate to the seller what size and colour you want. I use large (13 mm). Typically, I use a red tip for the right iem and a blue one for the left...then I don't have to figure out every time which side is which.

I recently ordered these much more expensive Tennmak Whirlwind:
https://goo.gl/BE6qhn

The Tennmak don't fit me as well as the others.

As to foam: I have comply tips and don't like them at all.

Mar 8, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #7,649 of 31,867
I'm using RHA Dual density silicone tips with mine

https://www.rha-audio.com/uk/products/accessories/dual-density-ear-tips-medium-3pairs

For a T2 with more bass the Zhiyin Z5000 does well
Thanks! I love the design of the Svara, but maybe I will go with the z5000 then, or go with the iBasso it01 and end with it XD

btw svara red has some pretty bad seal so consider that too ... otherwise the sound is great ...

Oh, I though that because of their design it would be possible to get a good seal with the right tips.

I use these eartips on most of my iems including the Urbanfun:
https://goo.gl/8Z9Xkb

They are of good quality/sturdy, and nicely colour coded.

4.5 mm is the right bore for most earphones (followed by 3.8 mm). When ordering, you have to indicate to the seller what size and colour you want. I use large (13 mm). Typically, I use a red tip for the right iem and a blue one for the left...then I don't have to figure out every time which side is which.

I recently ordered these much more expensive Tennmak Whirlwind:
https://goo.gl/BE6qhn

The Tennmak don't fit me as well as the others.

As to foam: I have comply tips and don't like them at all.

Oh that is great, seems the same tips used in the symbios manderines, if it is, maybe the Large size is for me, I found the symbio manderines size M too small

Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #7,650 of 31,867
both the tk13 and the k3 are definitely warmer/smoother at the high end than the tk12, with less bass depth and emphasis--overall tonality of the tk13 is (predictably) closer to the tk12 than the k3's. i'd also look at the ibasso it01, which seems to be the new standard for a $99 iem.

Thanks a lot dude! Yeah, upon discovering them yesterday, I am 99% sure I'll go with them. If you own aproear, your short review on the Tk13 was one of the reasons I was considering them. It seems the ibasso IT01 knocked all the competition out when they came out, can't wait to hear them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back