CHIFI LOVE Thread-A never ending IEM-Heaphones-DAP-Dongles Sound Value Quest
Feb 17, 2021 at 4:05 AM Post #27,152 of 31,833
I think the saving grace of the X1 is that regardless of whether you like either of the tuning choices, it takes EQ like a champ. I thought that the best way to make the X1 work for me was to do switches-down mode and add warmth, but it may actually be more sensible to leave it in switches-up mode and cut the bass, since that allows one to take advantage of the dual dynamic driver design.

This is a purely ear-based assessment, but I think the main reason for vocals sounding wrong in the switches-up mode is that there is a section of the midrange where the 10mm and 6mm drivers overlap in their response, resulting in the otherwise clear and resolving 6mm driver becoming drowned out by the vague thumping and booming of the bass-tuned 10mm driver. With significant EQ (like the settings I posted most recently above), one can cut the prominence of the output from the 10mm driver in the mix and achieve a linear response from the bass to the upper mids (pinna gain notwithstanding). After EQ-ing the X1 in switches-up mode, all the bloat and darkness is gone without having to ask too much of the 6mm driver, and the additional sense of dynamism (from having the two drivers working together) is restored too.

So, the X1 then... still my mids and vocals benchmark set at the $50 mark, and something you can probably make work for your own personal tastes. Just be prepared to fix the tuning yourself, but at least it is possible to do.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #27,153 of 31,833
So I think the TRN TA1 ties the Jade Audio EA3 for the cheapest hybrid using the Knowles RAD-33518.

Wonder if TRN will attempt to make it a mild V-shape like the IEM it's inevitably compared to.

Also from what little I could read about it, it appears that the 8mm DD is used exclusively as a woofer while the BA does midrange and treble. No idea how single DD single BA hybrids are usually crossed and for all I know everyone does it differently.

Feb 17, 2021 at 9:03 AM Post #27,154 of 31,833
Switched back to the Tennmak foams on my X1 (switches up, bass cut EQ) and gosh it sounds sublime now that both drivers are doing work. The warmth and weight has returned, serving as a backdrop for the transparent and resolving mids without getting in their way. Toggling the EQ off and on makes the X1 sound like two completely different IEMs; one unlistenable and the other exactly what I wanted from a mid-centric set.

Next acquisition will probably be the Heart Mirror, at which point the X1, SSR, SSP and HM can get into a fine old scrap to decide which ~$50 neutral-bright transducer is best :wink:

(for the record, the SSR and SSP still beat the X1 in terms of technicalities; their drivers are faster and tighter, however the tweaked X1 is the clear winner for me in terms of tonality).

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 1:49 AM Post #27,156 of 31,833
Switched back to the Tennmak foams on my X1 (switches up, bass cut EQ) and gosh it sounds sublime now that both drivers are doing work. The warmth and weight has returned, serving as a backdrop for the transparent and resolving mids without getting in their way. Toggling Direct Source on and off makes the X1 sound like two completely different IEMs.

Next acquisition will probably be the Heart Mirror, at which point the X1, SSR, SSP and HM can get into a fine old scrap to decide which ~$50 neutral-bright transducer is best :wink:
Baskingshark said that HM is technically superior to ssr.
Also eagerly waiting for your royal rumble results. 😁😁

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #27,157 of 31,833
So I think the TRN TA1 ties the Jade Audio EA3 for the cheapest hybrid using the Knowles RAD-33518.

Wonder if TRN will attempt to make it a mild V-shape like the IEM it's inevitably compared to.

Also from what little I could read about it, it appears that the 8mm DD is used exclusively as a woofer while the BA does midrange and treble. No idea how single DD single BA hybrids are usually crossed and for all I know everyone does it differently.
The tuner of TRN TA1 had told me it's a warm and bassy sounding signature. I will have it compare to another 1DD 1BA hybrid of 2HT.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #27,158 of 31,833
Baskingshark said that HM is technically superior to ssr.
Also eagerly waiting for your royal rumble results. 😁😁

That holds true if the heart mirror is amped haha. When unamped, SSR is superior in technicalities, so really depends on what source you are intending to bring about.

Whatever the case, heart mirror isn't as shouty in the 3 kHz region as the SSR, so tonally and timbre wise, I also do like the heart mirror better.

Feb 18, 2021 at 4:11 AM Post #27,159 of 31,833
That holds true if the heart mirror is amped haha. When unamped, SSR is superior in technicalities, so really depends on what source you are intending to bring about.

Whatever the case, heart mirror isn't as shouty in the 3 kHz region as the SSR, so tonally and timbre wise, I also do like the heart mirror better.
In a perfect world, I would have both ssr and heart mirror. Alas, I have to choose one!😓 Getting the er4sr first thing next month, then I will decide between these two.

Feb 18, 2021 at 5:18 PM Post #27,160 of 31,833
Feb 19, 2021 at 1:13 AM Post #27,161 of 31,833
That MT300 is quite temping. I'm waiting to see if there are any further discounts before pulling the trigger.

I admitted MT300's SQ is quite good with beautiful highs, transparent vocals, great soundstage. But, I am also concerned about its QC problem. I've got the 1st batch of MT300 since last June, and the right unit got broken within a month use. The right unit produced 50% less output volume than the normal left unit. The seller sent a replacement right unit after a long request. Unfortunately, the left unit got broken ( the same problem as the right unit ) last month as well. I also found several case reports concerning the 1st batch got broken within my user group. People are saying that electrostatic driver is so fragile to moisture. I don't know, but I have lost all my confidence to this brand.

21021016138a2a9ec534a16dcc.jpg

2102101613ccf2c5e411a8196a.jpg

Feb 19, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #27,162 of 31,833
They sold out on Ali on the 11.11. for around 59USD 😕 Now they are gone from Ali.
Why are you mad the A6 Mini is gone? My left earpiece died within days and now they want me to send a video. I'm too impatient for that.

The last time I sent a youtube video to TinHifi and just realized that they can't see it anyway. Waste of time.

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2021 at 6:46 AM Post #27,163 of 31,833
The tuner of TRN TA1 had told me it's a warm and bassy sounding signature. I will have it compare to another 1DD 1BA hybrid of 2HT.
By "Tuner", are you referencing an inhouse, TRN employee or Larry Fulton ?

Either way, based on Larry Fulton's FR graph, the production unit is neither warm or bassy
1613735102191.png

Feb 19, 2021 at 7:09 AM Post #27,164 of 31,833

Either way, based on Larry Fulton's FR graph, the production unit is neither warm or bassy
1613735102191.png
L.Fulton

Feb 19, 2021 at 11:31 AM Post #27,165 of 31,833

1613735102191.png
Looks like a IER-Z1R but is tuned nothing like it. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back